Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Help choosing racket please! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451602)

xpaulinabearx 01-19-2013 06:29 PM

Help choosing racket please!

Hey, so I recently just started playing tennis again after a pretty bad shoulder injury and thought I could upgrade my racket :twisted:. I've been looking into a couple of different rackets but can't really make up my mind. I currently play with a Babolat Pure Drive Roddick GT. I'd prefer a lighter racket (not tooooo light, 11.8oz strung is probably good), 95-100 head size (probably prefer 98-100, but i'm open to 95). I hit with a pretty good amount of topspin, and my forehand is my biggest shot. I'd like to improve my volleying and keep my serve consistent. Also, I recently switched to a 1H backhand, if that helps :) (1H backhand feels so natural). I probably hit around 4.0-4.5 right now, but i'm steadily improving. Any recommendations would be helpful! Thanks!

MikeHitsHard93 01-19-2013 08:35 PM

Prestige mp?

xpaulinabearx 01-19-2013 08:44 PM

That was actually in my top 5! Never hit with a Head racket before, so definitely excited to demo that racket. I'm interested in the Wilson BLX Steam and the Blade 98. I'm looking to gain a lot more control.

mctennis 01-19-2013 08:53 PM

If you've had shoulder/arm/elbow problems stay away from the harsher Babolat racquets or anything that is a stiffer racquet. Your shoulder will thank you.

xpaulinabearx 01-19-2013 08:56 PM

Thanks for the tip! Should definitely go for a more flexible racket. But I must say, i'm going to miss my Pure Drive a little :( Won a lot of matches with that sucker.

benraschke 01-19-2013 09:05 PM

Help choosing racket please!

Also look at the Donnay models. Very arm friendly and come in 94 and 98 head sizes. I am recovering from tennis elbow surgery and I switched to the Donnay X-Dual Gold 99.

mctennis 01-19-2013 09:06 PM

That's history now. I think if you continue to use the Babolats you may end up right back with another injury. Not worth the risk. IMHO.

xpaulinabearx 01-19-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mctennis (Post 7137398)
That's history now. I think if you continue to use the Babolats you may end up right back with another injury. Not worth the risk. IMHO.

Yep, definitely not worth the risk! Probably going to keep a couple of my Pure Drive's though, just to look at them :twisted:. And benraschke, I actually hit with a Donnay racket a while back (don't remember the model, the orange one...lol), but my hitting didn't seem/feel right. Something about it was really off to me. I'm not really familiar with Donnay rackets but I will definitely look into the X-Dual. Thanks for the recommendation!

xpaulinabearx 01-20-2013 09:55 AM

Bumppppp, anyone else?

Francis27 01-20-2013 10:02 AM

I would definitely go with either than Head IG Prestige MP or the IG Radical Pro

TheBoom 01-20-2013 10:02 AM

Blade, I too used a PDR and went to a blade and it has been an awesome transition so far. You will give up some power and spin but the comfort is superb it takes some getting used to especially the swing weight but it has so far pleased me very much, my review is down the page a bit if you're interested

xpaulinabearx 01-20-2013 12:45 PM

Thanks both Francis27 and TheBoom! I will definitely read your review and can't wait to demo these rackets :D

MikeHitsHard93 01-20-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpaulinabearx (Post 7137350)
That was actually in my top 5! Never hit with a Head racket before, so definitely excited to demo that racket. I'm interested in the Wilson BLX Steam and the Blade 98. I'm looking to gain a lot more control.

Prestige mp will give you supreme confidence. Trust me

Brocolt 01-20-2013 04:09 PM

A must try is the new blade 98 16x19. I have switched from the pure drive and i knew from the very first ball i hit with it

xpaulinabearx 01-21-2013 08:48 AM

The only thing I don't like about the Prestige MP is the clear gommets :-?. Other than that, what a beautiful racket! Probably going to start demoing some of the rackets starting tomorrow!

Also, what is the difference between the Head Microgel Prestige MidPlus and Head YOUTEK IG Prestige Midplus?

Overdrive 01-21-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpaulinabearx (Post 7144109)
The only thing I don't like about the Prestige MP is the clear gommets :-?. Other than that, what a beautiful racket! Probably going to start demoing some of the rackets starting tomorrow!

Also, what is the difference between the Head Microgel Prestige MidPlus and Head YOUTEK IG Prestige Midplus?

Can you demo some of the Boris Becker racquets? They are arm friendly and provide plow through without sacrificing arm forgiveness like the majority of those Babolat and Wilson BLX racquets. :mad:

xpaulinabearx 01-21-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7144133)
Can you demo some of the Boris Becker racquets? They are arm friendly and provide plow through without sacrificing arm forgiveness like the majority of those Babolat and Wilson BLX racquets. :mad:

I am seriously going to be demoing almost all the rackets you guys recommend. (Trying to have a really open mind and i'm really trying to find that one perfect racket)! Which Becker racket would you recommend? I've never really read much about Boris Becker rackets lol.

Edit, there's only 2 listed on tennis warehouse hahaha. That was easy to solve! And hmm, the rackets are a little stiffer than I'd like so i'll have to think about this one.

Overdrive 01-21-2013 09:22 AM

Yeah, there's only the BB London Tour and The BB Legend.

Okay, The BB London Tour is basically competing with the Babolat Pure Drive Roddicks. This frame is aimed towards precise players without having arm issues. In fact, Becker's frames are all arm friendly. However, I think you would want weight on your racquets. Modifying DC sticks are tricky, as many London users can attest, for in doing so, you change the stick's character. It doesn't however, develop any arm issues even if you add weight too it.

Strung Weight: 11.6oz / 328.85g
Balance: 6 pts HL

The Legend does not play well with hybrid stringing, but do play well with natural gut, multifiliments, and very low tension co-poly, like Cyclone or RPG. Weight: 11.3 oz.

xpaulinabearx 01-21-2013 11:19 AM

I think I am going to demo the BB London Tour since the Legend has issues with hybrid stringing. (Even though I don't use hybrids that much lol).

Also, can someone please tell me the difference between the Head Microgel Prestige MidPlus and Head YOUTEK IG Prestige Midplus?

Overdrive 01-21-2013 11:20 AM

Alright then.

I hope you have fun playing with it!

:)