Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What to do when opponent pulls a "Tipsarevic" (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451645)

RadicalMPfan 01-20-2013 07:02 AM

What to do when opponent pulls a "Tipsarevic"

What do you do when the person you plan quits half way into the second set when you won the first set.

I have a weekly partner who quits if I beat him too badly. I am forced to keep the match close until the end. This causes him to win more than he should. It's hard to say anything because he starts holding is shoulder, knees, or whatever else "ails" him.

What would you do?

v-verb 01-20-2013 07:20 AM

Get a new weekly partner. Seriously

IA-SteveB 01-20-2013 07:22 AM

^^^ I agree. That's pathetic.

Sakkijarvi 01-20-2013 07:32 AM

Ah, if it's a buddy you laugh and enjoy the hit win or lose. If you need to spend a lot of your precious recreation time with "opponents", not buddies, see immediately preceding posts. But you knew the answer.

tennis tom 01-20-2013 11:36 AM

Use him as a warm-up, feign injury, quit playing after the first set and go to your next match. If he asks how come you're playing again, say you're feeling better, see ya' next time. This guy's severely psychosomatic, give 'em a card for a good mindbody shrink.

blakesq 01-20-2013 12:05 PM

You are not "forced" to keep the match close until the end. You choose to do it. You are getting what you want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadicalMPfan (Post 7140004)
What do you do when the person you plan quits half way into the second set when you won the first set.

I have a weekly partner who quits if I beat him too badly. I am forced to keep the match close until the end. This causes him to win more than he should. It's hard to say anything because he starts holding is shoulder, knees, or whatever else "ails" him.

What would you do?

Govnor 01-21-2013 11:57 AM

Just work on your weakness, ask him to hit to your BH, etc

AtTheNet 01-21-2013 03:45 PM

He actually quits and walks off the court??? If so, I'd find another partner.

Getting one's butt whipped is not enjoyable, but can be a good learning experience.

SwankPeRFection 01-27-2013 10:07 PM

Learn to control the match like you're doing AND win at the end. Work on that.

Of course this makes them think they're just as good as you or better if they win, but that's when you sometimes bring out one of those 6-0 or 6-1 sets to wake them up.

This was something I used to do with girl from a mixed team I played on that kept blaming me for when we lost our matches. During practice I of course wanted to play a lot more than if I just came out and won 12 games and left. I wanted to stay out longer, so I'd extend the matches. A few of them kept saying how we were very close in capabilities because the sets were so close (7-5, 7-6, etc). Well, let's just say the next time we practiced they went home with donuts and breadsticks. I got asked why all of a sudden the score was so lopsided. I told them I like playing for longer than just an hour. They got the gist.

Now I also play with a few friends who I sometimes lose sets to 6-3 or less. I do it to work on my mental focus and to get used to how it feels to be down a set and work your way back into a match. Sometimes I do it when I'm working on improving something else like a certain shot or serve or something else in my game. It's always funny how they're always like "Yeah, I'm kicking your ***." Yep, you are... and I'm working on other things. Thanks for helping out. ;)

Moz 01-28-2013 12:47 AM

You'd surely be better off drilling and practising with him rather than play sets. You get a better quality hit and his fragile ego would be protected.

Either way I'd also tell him to being such a baby.

Alchemy-Z 01-28-2013 03:20 AM

yeah don't play matches just hit