Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Donnay X-P Dual 102 Tour (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451702)

BlaackSheeep 01-20-2013 03:39 PM

Donnay X-P Dual 102 Tour

There is a lot of info here on the X-P Dual 102 but not so much on the X-P Dual 102 Tour. Does anyone have any experience with this racket? I'm thinking about getting one from the Donnay website. Thanks

tball 01-20-2013 04:52 PM

I played with one for 2 weeks. All I can say is -- "decent". There is nothing wrong with it. I am detecting no flaws and no issues. Nothing outstanding either.

I am not the best guy to comment, as I ordinarily do not play with oversize racquets. The only oversize racquets I have are the old dunlop revelations, and one Vantage 100. Donnay is better than all of those -- more maneuverable and better power. Not tiring.

I also tried Boris Becker V1 some time ago, which was 102". Donnay is better. More feel at impact, and much whippier and faster through the air.

ollinger 01-20-2013 05:27 PM

I used the Tour for a time, stiffer and heavier (11.5 strung) than the Black. Nice racquet, good stability and pop but felt a bit sluggish to me.

mhj202 01-20-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7142076)
I used the Tour for a time, stiffer and heavier (11.5 strung) than the Black. Nice racquet, good stability and pop but felt a bit sluggish to me.

Totally agree. Played with both the XP Dual 102 and the XP Dual 102 Tour-- the Tour felt sluggish to me as well and generally felt that the balance and feel of the XP Dual 102 was better than the XP Dual 102 Tour.

tball 02-06-2013 10:30 PM

I had a chance today to compare the Donnay Tour 102 with ProKennex 5G Pro SMI side-by-side. The 5G was an older version, black and yellow, but not heavy, not the ~350-360g that people reported, the weight felt normal to me ~340g. I played doubles with both. The Donnay was better in all regards: had more power, more feel, better serve, and was easier to maneuver. PK 5G felt dead, stiff, slow and underpowered in comparison.

Both had syn gut in them. The one on the Donnay looked new, the one in PK was quite a bit worn. I do not think that the gut in PK5G had gone so totally dead to account for this effect. Ususally, with syn gut, it is the opposite for me: it feels dead fresh off the stringer, then becomes livelier as the time goes by, and is at its best right before breaking.

maxpotapov 02-06-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tball (Post 7197200)
Ususally, with syn gut, it is the opposite for me: it feels dead fresh off the stringer, then becomes livelier as the time goes by, and is at its best right before breaking.

What kind of syn gut is that? :shock:
For example, Gosen is lively fresh off the stringer and then in 2-3 hours becomes "deflated" (no power/no elasticity), and completely dead before breaking.

tball 02-07-2013 07:46 AM

Prince Topspin 15L -- my favourite of syn guts. I use it very often.

I have not used Gosen, so I cannot compare.