Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Smartphones, which to get? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451745)

Bergboy123 01-20-2013 11:07 PM

Smartphones, which to get?
 
Hey all, I'm looking into smartphones and frankly would love to hear opinions and advice from those of you that are knowledgeable or have experience!

Right now I'm throwing around Iphones vs Androids

Andyroo10567 01-20-2013 11:32 PM

I've had a rotation of about 18 different Android phones and my last was THE one that met my standards. PS : I've attempted to use an iPhone 4/4s but its just too small, boring, and slow with junk specs dated back in 2009. ( Over exaggeration intended ). The Nexus 4 which just got released a while back ( November 27th i believe ) has great battery life, screen ( though not as good as an HTC One X ) , build quality ( problems have occurred to some owners that the back cracks easily but it hasnt happened to me ) , and a fast processor. Works amazingly if you flash a custom ROM and overclock it. I chose this phone also because its bandwidths are for both T-Mobile and AT&T ( which i use both currently ) so i have HSPA+ with both carriers. Didn't figure out how to get 4G LTE on AT&T but my area doesn't even have it here so theres no point in attempting it. Camera quality is great as well. Works well outdoors in low lighting also. BUT*****. I doubt someone will be able to pick one up for retail price from Google. This phone came to my house in 2 months since they had a low stock and high demand. Sold out in a couple minutes. Theres a lot to say about this phone that i cannot type all of it! My second choice is the HTC One X.

adventure 01-21-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergboy123 (Post 7142755)
Hey all, I'm looking into smartphones and frankly would love to hear opinions and advice from those of you that are knowledgeable or have experience!

Right now I'm throwing around Iphones vs Androids

I don't see how you're throwing around smartphones seeing as you don't even have one, much less several, yet. If you do intend to throw your phone/s around I recommend a case with excellent drop protection.

If you mean you're throwing out iphones and androids as possibilities, that makes sense as these are the leading types of smartphones available. Just do some elementary research on amazon, cnet, or just do a general 'net search.

ollinger 01-21-2013 04:38 AM

It doesn't matter. If you research phones on a tennis website, you'll probably never use all the potential any of the phones has to offer anyway, so get the cheaper one.

Disgruntled Worker 01-21-2013 08:49 AM

IPhone if you want something that simply works
Android if you feel more confident in your technical abilities

I don't know anything about technology. But I enjoy embracing advancements in speed and processing. I also want something reliable and won't break in a couple months. I have an iPhone 4.

quest01 01-21-2013 09:29 AM

I'd get the Samsung galaxy note 2. It has a huge hd screen and a ton of nifty features. Either that or wait for the galaxy s4 to come out. Also I heard rumors the iPhone 5s may come in a 4.8 inch screen version.

Bergboy123 01-21-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adventure (Post 7142846)
I don't see how you're throwing around smartphones seeing as you don't even have one, much less several, yet. If you do intend to throw your phone/s around I recommend a case with excellent drop protection.

If you mean you're throwing out iphones and androids as possibilities, that makes sense as these are the leading types of smartphones available. Just do some elementary research on amazon, cnet, or just do a general 'net search.


Haha yes, obviously I'm throwing around the ideas, not the phones. And I definitely am going to research, just wanted to hear from others.

Bergboy123 01-21-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7143521)
It doesn't matter. If you research phones on a tennis website, you'll probably never use all the potential any of the phones has to offer anyway, so get the cheaper one.

I realize that a tennis website is one of the worst places, but I'm doing it to hear opinions, and I'm not a big poster on forums besides this one. I will definitely be doing my own research I just like to hear real experiences of others.

Andyroo10567 01-21-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quest01 (Post 7144271)
I'd get the Samsung galaxy note 2. It has a huge hd screen and a ton of nifty features. Either that or wait for the galaxy s4 to come out. Also I heard rumors the iPhone 5s may come in a 4.8 inch screen version.

Well, its not the iPhone 5s to come in a 4.8 but a 2nd iPhone coming alongside with it called the iPhone Math. It's just rumored for now. Theres more info on TechnoBuffalo 's website.

max 01-21-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7143521)
It doesn't matter. If you research phones on a tennis website, you'll probably never use all the potential any of the phones has to offer anyway, so get the cheaper one.

Good point, Ollie! I considered an iphone; I'm an old Apple fan; they make good stuff. But I axed people what they actually were doing with their iphones. "Playing a game" was a pretty popular response.

That's not really for me. I just use a cell phone as a phone. I'm not into screen games.

PaulFCB 01-21-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergboy123 (Post 7142755)
Right now I'm throwing around Iphones vs Androids

1. Android by a Light-Year.

2. Nexus by Google, whichever is around when you plan to buy it. For now it's Nexus 4. Samsung Galaxy S3 would come second cause it's more expensive and it's not worth it in my opinion, you'll get the best out of Android using Googles home phone and not one controlled by a 3rd party.

albino smurf 01-23-2013 09:07 AM

I just bought a Note 2 and really like it. I had an EVO so I was used to a larger phone and let me say this thing is awesome, plus how often do you use a phone as a phone these days?

adventure 01-23-2013 12:10 PM

Throw the apple haters a bone and get an android. They need the self esteem boost.

JRstriker12 01-23-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyroo10567 (Post 7142786)
I've had a rotation of about 18 different Android phones and my last was THE one that met my standards. PS : I've attempted to use an iPhone 4/4s but its just too small, boring, and slow with junk specs dated back in 2009. ( Over exaggeration intended ). The Nexus 4 which just got released a while back ( November 27th i believe ) has great battery life, screen ( though not as good as an HTC One X ) , build quality ( problems have occurred to some owners that the back cracks easily but it hasnt happened to me ) , and a fast processor. Works amazingly if you flash a custom ROM and overclock it. I chose this phone also because its bandwidths are for both T-Mobile and AT&T ( which i use both currently ) so i have HSPA+ with both carriers. Didn't figure out how to get 4G LTE on AT&T but my area doesn't even have it here so theres no point in attempting it. Camera quality is great as well. Works well outdoors in low lighting also. BUT*****. I doubt someone will be able to pick one up for retail price from Google. This phone came to my house in 2 months since they had a low stock and high demand. Sold out in a couple minutes. Theres a lot to say about this phone that i cannot type all of it! My second choice is the HTC One X.


Don't think the Nexus 4 has 4G LTE: http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3...ot-have-4g-lte

IA-SteveB 01-23-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quest01 (Post 7144271)
I'd get the Samsung galaxy note 2. It has a huge hd screen and a ton of nifty features. Either that or wait for the galaxy s4 to come out. Also I heard rumors the iPhone 5s may come in a 4.8 inch screen version.

How is that Note to carry around, though? I wear a Motorola Electrify in an Otterbox case on my belt, but the note seems HUGE and nerdy to try on a belt. :) I dig the stylus and big screen, but the sheer size has kept me with my current Motorola.

JRstriker12 01-23-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergboy123 (Post 7142755)
Hey all, I'm looking into smartphones and frankly would love to hear opinions and advice from those of you that are knowledgeable or have experience!

Right now I'm throwing around Iphones vs Androids

If you are already heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem (itunes, mac computers, etc) are into buying all the most recent apps you might just stick with the most recent iphone.

If you like gps maps that work well and a voice activated system that's better than Siri, take a look at the most recent Nexus.

If you don't care about having the most recent Android release and want 4G LTE, I'd also give the top end HTC or Samsung phones a look too.

What ever you do, don't go with a super cheap phone with a Android operating system, while android is solid, some of the overlays from the low-end phone makes are horrible.

sonicare 01-23-2013 12:43 PM

stop being a peasant and just get an iphone. even the iphone 4s (last generation) is better than any android phone out there.

VaththalKuzhambu 01-23-2013 12:49 PM

S3

10_chars

Leelord337 01-23-2013 01:39 PM

i love my droid razr maxx..its fast on the internet, easy to navigate around..and battery life is AWESOME, I hardly ever have to charge it it seems

Cindysphinx 01-23-2013 01:50 PM

I'm a non-techie and I have a Samsung Galaxy. Lovin' it.

I am not a fan of the hunt-and-peck input in the iPhone world. I am a Swype gal, so I need the android platform.

Also, I need the large text and large screen the Galaxy affords. I can use it without reading glasses.

How sweet is that? Mighty sweet!


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse