Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What happened to penalizing excessive grunting? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451765)

dje31 01-21-2013 06:48 AM

What happened to penalizing excessive grunting?
 
I thought they were going to warn and penalize excessive grunting at the beginning of the 2012 season. Here it is a year later, and grunting / shrieking is just as bad, if not worse.

I seem to recall some dopey exception for the older players, as there's no way they could control or alter it (unless they're on the practice courts). So only the younger guard would be warned or penalized.

I find myself either a. not watching matches with grunters; b. rooting for non-grunters; or c. muting the tv.

I know I'm not alone.

corners 01-21-2013 07:19 AM

Last I heard WTA decided to tackle the next generation rather than try to stop their current stars from shrieking.

Clarky21 01-21-2013 07:30 AM

Jovanovski's grunting was really annoying yesterday. I was rooting against her so that I would not be subjected to that noise another match.

dje31 01-21-2013 08:10 AM

Thanks, corners. "Shrieking" is a much more appropriate description on the women's side.

I remember Sharapova once saying, perhaps in a press conference, that she hasn't heard anyone complain about her shrieking. Perhaps it was drowned out by her own noise.

Is the WTA so cowed by the top tier players that they won't act or enforce this? Apparently so.

pvaudio 01-21-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7143743)
Jovanovski's grunting was really annoying yesterday. I was rooting against her so that I would not be subjected to that noise another match.

Good GOD it was absolutely killing me. "PREH SHAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" after every damn ball. Poor Stephens looked like she was going to ask the ump for earplugs.

THUNDERVOLLEY 01-21-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dje31 (Post 7143846)

Is the WTA so cowed by the top tier players that they won't act or enforce this? Apparently so.

Its called business: no one is going to screw with top money-earning/drawing players. Sponsors and their legions of fans would not tolerate such pointless engineering of players.

dje31 01-21-2013 08:33 AM

If they can not shriek in practice, they can tone it down in a match.

I think Bollitierri and his academy has some culpability here, as a bunch of shriekers came from his school, IIRC.

always_crosscourt 01-21-2013 08:34 AM

Isner never grunts in matches. But when he does it is only because it is necessary.

Overdrive 01-21-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THUNDERVOLLEY (Post 7143885)
Its called business: no one is going to screw with top money-earning/drawing players. Sponsors and their legions of fans would not tolerate such pointless engineering of players.

Yeah, that's why I don't watch WTA tennis now. Plus, the same women always advance and win GS. The variety is worse than ATP. :|

slowfox 01-21-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corners (Post 7143709)
Last I heard WTA decided to tackle the next generation rather than try to stop their current stars from shrieking.

I guess we gotta wait ten years.

dje31 01-21-2013 09:04 AM

I walked by a court where a 7-8 year old kid was getting a private lesson at our club. He was grunting on every swing...sad, but true. Shame on the coach and / or parent for not discouraging this nonsense from the get-go.

Overdrive 01-21-2013 09:12 AM

As an honest grunter, I don't do it against certain people or at every stroke. I wouldn't mind the regulations against this.

Anyways, there's alot of kids here that do that as well.

dje31 01-21-2013 09:21 AM

I understand on an extreme reach for a volley or wide shot, grunting with the exertion is normal.

The thing with the 7-8 year old was, he was barely swinging for an easy ball fed by the coach, and grunting every time.

Dedans Penthouse 01-21-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7143743)
Jovanovski's grunting was really annoying yesterday. I was rooting against her so that I would not be subjected to that noise another match.

^^^ this +1

Especially since after dropping the 1st set that she suddenly turned into a shreiking noice machine :arrow: gamesmanship b.s.

Overdrive 01-21-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dje31 (Post 7144033)
I understand on an extreme reach for a volley or wide shot, grunting with the exertion is normal.

The thing with the 7-8 year old was, he was barely swinging for an easy ball fed by the coach, and grunting every time.

Most of those young grunters do that to get attention.. :-|

dje31 01-21-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7144093)
Most of those young grunters do that to get attention.. :-|

So do the pros...you'd think at their age they'd realize the difference between good attention and bad attention.

I suppose it's just a variation on marketing / media attitude of "the only thing worse than folks talking about you, is folks /not/ talking about you."

Overdrive 01-21-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dje31 (Post 7144162)
So do the pros...you'd think at their age they'd realize the difference between good attention and bad attention.

I suppose it's just a variation on marketing / media attitude of "the only thing worse than folks talking about you, is folks /not/ talking about you."

Yes, and thing to counter this marketing technique is just to not watch their matches, buy the racquets they are advertising, or buy any of their gear. :neutral:

dje31 01-21-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7144293)
Yes, and thing to counter this marketing technique is just to not watch their matches, buy the racquets they are advertising, or buy any of their gear. :neutral:

Done, done, and done!

ehtennis 01-21-2013 10:43 AM

Commentators
 
It's always interesting to hear the commentators discuss the grunting. It seems like they are always ripping on the grunters. You would think the retired players who are still involved with the sport would have enough influence to put a stop to it.

Overdrive 01-21-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dje31 (Post 7144307)
Done, done, and done!

That's good. If everyone else did this, the players would get the message. :neutral:


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse