Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Apparently, Raonic couldn't even walk before the match (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451772)

uncooling 01-21-2013 06:24 AM

Apparently, Raonic couldn't even walk before the match

Raonic, the 15th seed from Thornhill, Ont., revealed after the match he wasn't given the green light to play until he was moments away from stepping on to the court.

"I had a tough day today. It wasn't as smooth of a day as I would have liked to have," said Raonic, who ended with 19 aces and 41 unforced errors in less than two hours.

"Until probably 45 minutes to an hour before the match, I wasn't even sure I'd play. I rushed over to get a quick MRI on my foot."

"I was having issues walking. I got the clear to play after that. I just had an anesthesia injection into my foot."

Raonic said he played while numb but managed to soldier on despite being diagnosed with inflammation in the joints.

"It was more how much it weighs on you mentally throughout the day when somebody is saying there might be a stress fracture," he said.

"I was able to actually clear it out of my mind pretty well before the match and just sort of go along with everything and just play as well as I could

So, what we saw from today's match wasn't healthy Raonic! People should stop judging this kid before even reading his post-match interview (well, the transcript is not up, that's probably why people still don't know the story)

At least, he showed up on court and tried his best with his injured foot when he couldn't even walk before the match.
Very comparable to Tipsarevic who would've withdrawn right away.

uncooling 01-21-2013 06:30 AM

Not to be respectful to the Great Federer, but Raonic is such a classy guy for choosing to play this match!

I'm pretty sure almost everyone here didn't know he has such a terrible injury going into the match (most of them probably still don't know and are busy talking about Raonic's game). With his injury, he can still ace 19 times against Federer! (one at 233 kph)

It would've been a much closer match had he not suffered from an injury!

Alchemy-Z 01-21-2013 06:31 AM

Some people will praise him for being a trooper.

others will say playing injured with medicated parts is unfair to his opponent when it should have just been a walk over.

Towser83 01-21-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alchemy-Z (Post 7143745)

others will say playing injured with medicated parts is unfair to his opponent when it should have just been a walk over.

I don't see how that's unfair, if you can play the match then well done to you..

Alchemy-Z 01-21-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towser83 (Post 7143755)
I don't see how that's unfair, if you can play the match then well done to you..

and I am of the same thought...but there is starting to be lots of talk about is playing on medications for pain considered a form of doping ...since technically it is performance enhancing because without it you would have been unfit to play.

Jeepers 01-21-2013 06:44 AM

Being unable to walk wouldn't make much of a different to his game tbh

heninfan99 01-21-2013 06:50 AM

Milos did the right thing here though Federer looked bored.

pvaudio 01-21-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alchemy-Z (Post 7143745)

The latter, or the former with your mouth shut afterwards. Even Rafa (Rafa!!) had the decency not to talk about his knees being absolutely on fire during the FO or during any of Wimby until months afterwards. It is frankly rude to come out, play a match, and then go back and say "Oh, well, 45mins before the start of the match I still wasn't sure if my foot was broken..." It just makes you look like an idiot with a bag of excuses.

pvaudio 01-21-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alchemy-Z (Post 7143778)
and I am of the same thought...but there is starting to be lots of talk about is playing on medications for pain considered a form of doping ...since technically it is performance enhancing because without it you would have been unfit to play.

Exactly the point. Either keep your mouth shut or concede the match. Having played while drugged to the point of not being able to feel a possible broken bone is unfair to your opponent and makes you look bad anyway.

tennis_pro 01-21-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepers (Post 7143785)
Being unable to walk wouldn't make much of a different to his game tbh

This x10.

A shoulder injury would, though. Or blister on his right hand.

zebedee 01-21-2013 07:23 AM

If you play, you're fit. If you're not fit, don't play. The old Aussie rule from the '50's. Still stands good today.

Bartelby 01-21-2013 07:27 AM

I don't think aussies of the fifties faced press conference after press conference where people were asking you about your performance.

People want to know what's going on and is he supposed to lie?

Roddick85 01-21-2013 07:28 AM

It sucks that he was injured, but if he felt he couldn't play at his best, he should of withdrawn. I find it a bit cheap to say these things after he lost the match, kinda like Nadal when he looses, we learn later that he was suffering from this and that and that...blabla, it's like they don't give they're opponents credit, and I find that disrespectful.

always_crosscourt 01-21-2013 07:31 AM

Excuse making

Hood_Man 01-21-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartelby (Post 7143890)
I don't think aussies of the fifties faced press conference after press conference where people were asking you about your performance.

People want to know what's going on and is he supposed to lie?

I've got this image of Raonic being wheeled into a press conference, covered head to toe in bandages and plaster, with a drip hanging off his arm, saying "No no, I feel fine" :lol:

Bartelby 01-21-2013 07:33 AM

A fact is a fact. He was probably always going to lose, so how is it an excuse?

always_crosscourt 01-21-2013 07:34 AM

If he had Isner's serve, he would have won.

Russeljones 01-21-2013 07:35 AM

Canadian bacon... face.

rufus_smith 01-21-2013 07:37 AM

What would Tipsy have done?

dudeski 01-21-2013 07:39 AM

Is Raonic the new Nadal?