Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Is Stan the new Todd Martin? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451814)

Gonzalito17 01-21-2013 10:41 AM

Is Stan the new Todd Martin?

Nice guy, very talented, came up in the shadows of more highly touted great young players in his era from his country, capable of giving great matches in the big moment but always just falls a bit short in those situations because of a lack of killer instinct, a lack of ruthlessness. A lack of the burning desire and insatiable hunger to be the very BEST.

smoledman 01-21-2013 10:45 AM

Good comparison, I hope that means Stan makes a GS final at some point. Honestly this match was the first time I saw that real burning DESIRE in Stan. If he can bottle that, he has something for 2013.

kiki 01-21-2013 10:47 AM

Are you insulting Martin?
If vrinka wavrinka is curremt Todd, it would prove how much tennis has ñowered to humilliating levels seldom seen in any sport

heninfan99 01-21-2013 10:49 AM

I think Martin had the killer instinct. In fact, in a recent seniors match he ferociously snapped at Mcenroe. He had some fire.
Martin was just in a very good era. Not his fault.

I'm still not over the fact he ruined Djoker's serve for a full year though.

babolat king 01-21-2013 11:50 AM

The only thing Todd Martin had was a deadly uni-brow.

SLD76 01-21-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babolat king (Post 7144704)
The only thing Todd Martin had was a deadly uni-brow.

you win everything.

always_crosscourt 01-21-2013 12:20 PM

Murray is the new Todd Martin.

smoledman 01-21-2013 12:22 PM

Murray owns a slam. He can't be the new Todd Martin. Besides Murray is a super athlete, Martin never was. If anything DelPo is alot like Todd Martin.

always_crosscourt 01-21-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoledman (Post 7144842)
Murray owns a slam. He can't be the new Todd Martin. Besides Murray is a super athlete, Martin never was. If anything DelPo is alot like Todd Martin.

Tell that to all the legions of fans who will maintain that the wind won a slam in USO 2012, not Murray. He doesn't legitimately own a slam. Besides, Delpo owns a slam (a very legitimate slam), how can he be like Todd Martin.

jaggy 01-21-2013 12:32 PM

Martin overachieved in my humble op. Did very well with moderate talent.

mattennis 01-21-2013 12:33 PM

Todd Martin was more dangerous in his era than Wawrinka is in the current era.

Todd Martin had a great serve ( he was 1.98 m or 6 ft 6 in ), had very powerful flat groundstrokes, he knew how to volley.

He played great in the Australian Open of 1994, defeating Edberg in the SF ( 3-6 7-6 7-6 7-6 ), but lost to Sampras ( 6-7 4-6 4-6 ).

In 1994 he also got to the SF of Wimbledon (lost to Sampras 4-6 4-6 6-3 3-6) and the SF of the US OPEN (lost to Agassi in four sets).

He was runner-up in the 1999 US OPEN losing to Agassi in five sets (he was leading two sets to one), and lost to Safin in four sets the following year in the SF.

He had a bit of bad luck because almost everytime he was playing great and was getting to SF or Final of a GS, he faced Sampras or Agassi there (bad luck because in the 90s there were several GS tournaments were neither Sampras nor Agassi were in the SF stage) and lost to them.

Clearly his best shot at a GS tournament was in 1996 Wimbledon, where he got to the SF stage and had to face Malivai Washington AND the other SF was Krajicek-Stoltenberg (Krajicek defeated Sampras in the QF and Stoltenberg defeated Ivanisevic in the QF, so imagine how Todd would feel, suddenly Sampras AND Ivanisevic were out!!!).

He was the clear favourite against Washington and, had he won, he would have been favourite against Stoltenberg (had Stoltenberg won his SF) in the final (and 50-50 against Krajicek in a hypothetical final).

Todd Martin was leading 5-1 in the fifth set against Malivai Washington but incredibly he ended up losing the match.

I think Martin-Krajicek would have been a great 1996 Wimbledon final, much more competitive than Krajicek-Washington, but it wasn't meant to be.

McEnroeisanartist 01-21-2013 12:48 PM

Hmmm, lets see Todd Martin - two grand slam finals, six grand slam semifinals,10 grand slam quarterfinals.

Stan Wawrinka - 2 grand slam quarterfinals.

Sorry no comparison at all.

Gonzalito17 01-21-2013 01:41 PM

Martin is far more accomplished than Stan for sure but the point I was making is that they have similar demeanors on court, too nice and not enough killer/ruthlessness.

With that said, Martin and Stan are both great players who had the misfortune of having to defeat GOAT calibre players who stood in their paths.

Martin blowing it to Mal Washington has to be one of the biggest slam chokes of the modern era. I didn't see the match, did Mal get in the zone or did Todd completely fall apart?

Gonzalito17 01-21-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoledman (Post 7144842)

Excellent comparison, very similar low key honest classy fair demeaners by Martin and Delpo, very very similar. Gentle Giants.

kiki 01-21-2013 01:50 PM

Does anybody know that Martin won a big cc event, the Spanish Open, beating terrific cc player Felix Mantilla , at Mantilla´s home field, by S&V?

Wavrinka would be a decent player like Champion or Nystrom.He is kinda Sandy Mayer, at most.

kiki 01-21-2013 01:51 PM

It is curious but Todd Martin and Tim Mayotte were almost their other equal´s...both initials are TM.funny, isn´t it?

90's Clay 01-21-2013 01:55 PM

Stop.. No

Martin maxed out at Rank #4 in the world, won 8 career titles, 12 career finalist and 5 doubles titles and 5 double finals and reached a slam final

Mugwinka:

Career High Rank 9 in the world, 3 career titles, 2 doubles, NO slam final

... I dont think so

heninfan99 01-21-2013 02:05 PM

Stan has a Gasquet-like temperament. Stan may of had a cushier situation than Martin. I know Mcenroe ordered Martin to fetch him a towel during Davis Cup practice whereas Stan is great friends with Federer, playing doubles together, I imagine practicing together and they've even had the same trainer their entire careers.

Fiji 01-21-2013 03:26 PM

Not really.

Sid_Vicious 01-21-2013 03:33 PM

Soderling is more like the Todd Martin of this era: