Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Murray vs Simon Matchup (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451835)

ctoth666 01-21-2013 12:39 PM

Murray vs Simon Matchup
 
Is this the biggest mismatch in tennis history? It's comically one-sided, and not even in the sense of the scoreline. It's even boring to watch by women's tennis standards. Nothing gets me less excited than hearing that Murray is going to play Simon. It fact, it actually makes me less enthusiastic about my own existence. Murray could probably pick up any racquet strung at any tension and put on two left-shoes and still probably win in straight-sets. He could probably fix the score of the match as well.

Mainad 01-21-2013 01:23 PM

Simon did once win a match against Murray, back in 2007 on clay in Rome! :wink:

TTMR 01-21-2013 01:58 PM

Britain has had France's number for 250 years now. Nothing against him, but I personally don't think Simon is the man to turn the tide of history.

ctoth666 01-21-2013 01:58 PM

Yes their first meeting. And Simon has won sets, but it's just the matchup itself is vey uninspiring and it seems like a foregone conclusion.

Zildite 01-21-2013 02:03 PM

Simon has admitted he hates playing Murray. One of the least interesting matchups on tour for sure.

Laurie 01-21-2013 02:04 PM

I agree if I had a ticket for a tournament and got this matchup I would be disappointed. But it doesn't matter who Simon plays, his game is not interesting at all.

On a slight side issue, Simon was one of the players I think complaining about equal pay, but there are many women matchups I would prefer to watch than Simon v anyone else.

kanamit 01-21-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurie (Post 7145229)
I agree if I had a ticket for a tournament and got this matchup I would be disappointed. But it doesn't matter who Simon plays, his game is not interesting at all.

On a slight side issue, Simon was one of the players I think complaining about equal pay, but there are many women matchups I would prefer to watch than Simon v anyone else.

The WTA should trade Schiavone to the ATP for Simon.

heninfan99 01-21-2013 02:12 PM

Fed vs. Davydenko is another one but I'll watch anyway.

ctoth666 01-21-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heninfan99 (Post 7145251)
Fed vs. Davydenko is another one but I'll watch anyway.

Agreed. Not particularly interesting. But there's something, to me, about the Simon-Murray matchup that separates it from the pack of of other uninteresting matchups. I'm not completely certain what it is. Simon could be playing anyone else and I would find it more interesting, and likewise Murray could be playing anyone else and I'd find it more interesting. But I have seen Murray play live, and I quite enjoy watching him play sometimes, so it must be Simon. I think the combination of Murray's passive tennis and Simon's lack of variety is what makes the mood-killing combo...

papertank 01-21-2013 07:37 PM

I think it's because Murray does absolutely everything better than Simon. He can be aggressive and blow him off the court or beat Simon at his own game of pushing. It's just sad to watch.

Defcon 01-21-2013 09:41 PM

Murray is a just a little bit better version of Simon :)

Candide 01-21-2013 10:08 PM

The big interest will be if they'll break the 71 shot rally benchmark that's been set. My guess is - in the first set.

Hawkeye7 01-21-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candide (Post 7146780)
The big interest will be if they'll break the 71 shot rally benchmark that's been set. My guess is - in the first set.

They didn't even manage 30. ;) The match is over already, you're a day late.

This match-up is so boring because if Murray plays even remotely average he will win with ease. Simon himself feels that Murray is just a bigger, stronger, better version of him and his toughest opponent (he said that in 2010). Although I don't really agree with that these days, as Murray is much more aggressive now. But the thing is, Murray can play however he likes, he will still win.

piece 01-21-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurie (Post 7145229)
I agree if I had a ticket for a tournament and got this matchup I would be disappointed. But it doesn't matter who Simon plays, his game is not interesting at all.

On a slight side issue, Simon was one of the players I think complaining about equal pay, but there are many women matchups I would prefer to watch than Simon v anyone else.

His match against Federer at the 2011 AO wasn't half bad. Simon was aggressive with his forehand in the final three sets and was hitting lots of winners with it.

tacou 01-21-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece (Post 7146799)
His match against Federer at the 2011 AO wasn't half bad. Simon was aggressive with his forehand in the final three sets and was hitting lots of winners with it.

Simon has many matches like this. His match vs Nadal in Madrid is him at his peak, and it is amazing to watch. It's just that mediocre Simon (who is a top 20 player mind you) wins matches in very boring ways. But his game can be mesmerizing at time, Lleyton Hewitt on coke

piece 01-21-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacou (Post 7146817)
Simon has many matches like this. His match vs Nadal in Madrid is him at his peak, and it is amazing to watch. It's just that mediocre Simon (who is a top 20 player mind you) wins matches in very boring ways. But his game can be mesmerizing at time, Lleyton Hewitt on coke

Is that the match where he hit that HUGE running forehand down the line?

joeri888 01-22-2013 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurie (Post 7145229)
I agree if I had a ticket for a tournament and got this matchup I would be disappointed. But it doesn't matter who Simon plays, his game is not interesting at all.

On a slight side issue, Simon was one of the players I think complaining about equal pay, but there are many women matchups I would prefer to watch than Simon v anyone else.

Hmm, I think that Simon against Llodra or Stepanek could be interesting alright.

augustobt 01-22-2013 02:51 AM

The most boring matchup ever.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse