Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   "Burning" Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451840)

db10s 01-21-2013 12:53 PM

"Burning" Strings

I've heard a little bit about it. It causes the strings to not last as long... But what causes it?

mikeler 01-21-2013 12:58 PM

Friction is an enemy of tennis string.

struggle 01-21-2013 01:03 PM

fan and pull, not too fast but i don't sweat speed.

you'll be fine.

diredesire 01-21-2013 01:07 PM

pinch a string in between your fingertips as hard as you can, and then have a friend yank it as fast as (s)he can. Learn it the old school way ;)

As the other two have succinctly said, avoid friction burns. Tennis strings have friction due to tension --> (mains) resisting movement (crosses). If you pull the cross strings across the mains quickly enough, the mains will pit and have burned (melted) pits from the friction created by the crosses.

struggle 01-21-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire (Post 7145022)
pinch a string in between your fingertips as hard as you can, and then have a friend yank it as fast as (s)he can. Learn it the old school way ;)

As the other two have succinctly said, avoid friction burns. Tennis strings have friction due to tension --> (mains) resisting movement (crosses). If you pull the cross strings across the mains quickly enough, the mains will pit and have burned (melted) pits from the friction created by the crosses.

haha, not so sure. code is more like it, but hey...

basically, don't rip the crosses across the mains
fan them them toward the non strung (crosses) end of
the racket as you pull the working end of the string in
prep to tension the next cross.

also, make sure you're stringing "one ahead". weave the next cross,
before you tension the previous one, leave a loop to do so (tension).

fortun8son 01-21-2013 02:43 PM

It is also possible to burn strings (and grommets), especially with thicker gauges, by pulling mains too quickly.

Irvin 01-22-2013 04:35 AM

Friction will cause heat and enough heat will cause a fire. Imagine fire starting using a spinning piece of wood, but done try it it takes forever to create enough heat. Burning (friction burn) has become the term used to describe excessive wear on strings. Twisting, smashing, and sawing could just as easily be used to describe the results from poor stringing methods.

TWISTING - Have you ever noticed the top / bottom few crosses appear to be twisted more than any other strings in the racket? Let's assume you are stringing a racket and a cross grommet hole is covered by a tensioned main string. If it is a snug enoug fit and there is any texture at all on the string, like the twist of a multifilament, when you pull the string through the string will twist on the outside of the frame (and twists the opposite way on the inside if you are pulling the string through the crosses) and causes kinking. To avoid that pre-weave the cross before tensioning the main. When you get down to the bottom it is a little more difficult but way to avoid twisting. Also when a main is very close to the grommet it tends to twist the string inside the frame and even if you fan the strings as you go the string still runs over/under that main and can cause notching so be careful. Using the fins built into grommet or scrap string can help here.

SMASHING - Clamps can cause a lot of damage to string if not adjusted and well maintained. The opposite here is a clamp not tight enough. If the string slips any in the clamp it really eats the string up. Crushing strings by having the clamps too tight weakens the strings too and could cause premature breakage.

SAWING - A real good example of the sawing action can be seen when pulling poly crosses over a soft main. Fist time I stung Xcel main with hurricane crosses I could see right off it was going to be a problem. The poly will saw into the soft tension main very fast especially on the outside mains. Be very careful with this combination. Tis sawing action is probably what you're referring to when you mentioned burning. Weaving one ahead helps, but many people to to speed up the process by not pulling through that one string and leave the tip only pulled through so they don't have to look for the end. That method only increases friction when pulling the cross through.

Rabbit 01-22-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire (Post 7145022)

Dude! That's just mean.... :)

mikeler 01-22-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 7148039)

And a little twisted. I now have even more respect for DD. :twisted:

themitchmann 01-22-2013 09:09 AM

Their is another method I picked up at the GSS stringer symposium called the "V method." Anyone here use it? I like the way it minimizes friction while pulling crosses.

struggle 01-22-2013 09:17 AM

as long as you spread the wealth (fanning, v-method, etc) and don't pull too fast, you'll be fine.

diredesire 01-22-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 7148039)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7148066)
And a little twisted. I now have even more respect for DD. :twisted:

OK, OK. I only ACTUALLY reserve this treatment for people who "don't believe" in fanning. See a stringer that's yanking crosses without fanning? Explain the situation to them. If they don't believe you, have them hold the string between their fingers, and demonstrate ;)

(Much nicer, no? At least they deserve it? Trial by... fire? :twisted:)

Rabbit 01-22-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire (Post 7148702)
OK, OK. I only ACTUALLY reserve this treatment for people who "don't believe" in fanning. See a stringer that's yanking crosses without fanning? Explain the situation to them. If they don't believe you, have them hold the string between their fingers, and demonstrate ;)

(Much nicer, no? At least they deserve it? Trial by... fire? :twisted:)

Can we get the mod to delete this post? I much prefer the previous one. I would also suggest that in the previous one, a length of 6 inches be added as a recommendation of how much to go in before pinching.

db10s 01-22-2013 12:56 PM

Haha, thanks guys, I wasn't worried about it, just wanted to know the cause.

BMC9670 01-22-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7145061)

also, make sure you're stringing "one ahead". weave the next cross,
before you tension the previous one, leave a loop to do so (tension).

Curious what this achieves. I don't currently do it. Should I be?

diredesire 01-22-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMC9670 (Post 7149389)
Curious what this achieves. I don't currently do it. Should I be?

It makes your life easier, it reduces wear and tear on the string. The previous string "holds the pattern open" to make weaving easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0FPGEBcBHo
I believe this YULitle video demonstrates this technique. Excellent camera angle to really see what's going on.

Lakers4Life 01-22-2013 04:52 PM

I c/p this from Radicalized's thread.
----
FULL CREDIT ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: The following image is from "YULitle" on this TT page:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...eave+one+ahead
08-24-2008, 02:36 PM #19
YULitle
Hall Of Fame