Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Prestige S - Great Reviews but no Chat (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451845)

richie65 01-21-2013 02:56 PM

Prestige S - Great Reviews but no Chat

What gives about this intriging stick? The reviews seem very positive, but it appears that the TW forum isn't chatting.

I'm interested as it seems like a real comfortable and maneuverable, lighter players stick. I noticed that it has a different beam from the other Prestige sticks. Do people not believe it's a "real" Prestige?

At the very least, it could be modified to some solid specs.

I really want to give it a try, but nobody has a demo so please help.

And yes I did a search, but not much there.

sundaypunch 01-21-2013 03:23 PM

I haven't tried one. I was considering it and did quite a bit of searching. You will have to do a titles-only search for Prestige and be prepared to dig to find discussions about the S.

I ended up not pulling the trigger on one. A summary of what I remember from the discussion was, "spec's look great on paper, but it doesn't play that great" and "a decent racquet but nothing that should be considered a Prestige".

PED 01-21-2013 03:56 PM

It's def a real prestige. I've owned the mid, mp and pro in various past versions and the s is my fav. It's a bit lighter at 328g strung but my mgmp was only 333g so not that different.

There is a v shape structure in the throat similar to the v core honeys that stiffens things up but it's still quite comfortable.

Nice power and plenty of control but you did need good stick speed to get the most out of it. I've used one since last year and really enjoy the consistency it brings, it creates a nice lower trajectory heavy ball.

West Coast Ace 01-21-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richie65 (Post 7145192)
What gives about this intriging stick? The reviews seem very positive, but it appears that the TW forum isn't chatting.

I'm a Head fan, but.... maybe dropping a new stick during WINTER and a MAJOR isn't too smart?

dje31 01-21-2013 04:07 PM

Building on PED's assessment, as a soon-to-be 48 year-old, 4.5-5.0, it's probably considered in the bowels of HEAD R&D as the middle-aged Prestige...now that they've got a Graphene Prestige PWR, that's the granny / granddad stick.

That being said, as an old fart not ready for a walker or tweener stick, who plays an old school game, I'm about to pull the trigger on two. Was waiting to try the Graphene Speeds, but the more reviews I read, the more likely I won't like them, being Babolat whatever-Drive alternatives, from all indications.

If you can put any stock in the TW player profiles, Granville uses a modded Prestige S, or at least claimed to have. It wasn't on my personal radar until I read that, so I gave it a couple of good demo days. Glad I did.

It's more of a light player than a tweener. If you have or had player skills and need a bit more oomph, you might be pleasantly surprised.

All things being equal, someone else suggested it's perhaps more of an Instinct Pro than a Prestige, esp since they have similar, triangular throat profiles. But that doesn't (necessarily) mean it's a chick stick.

PED 01-21-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Coast Ace (Post 7145421)
I'm a Head fan, but.... maybe dropping a new stick during WINTER and a MAJOR isn't too smart?

Not sure if you realized that the S Was released last January.

usually, head releases the prestige line every January since the lm version iirc.

richie65 01-22-2013 10:58 AM

I like what I'm hearing so far. I'll have to give it a try if I can find a used copy somewhere.
It seems to compare to my other sticks: Volkl DNX9 and Yonex Rd Ti 80 Lite.

PED 01-22-2013 11:22 AM

^^I always like the MP version's specs but didn't like the flexy throat and the tighter pattern. This plays like a modded MP but with a touch more power as well.

The control on the S is better than the Pro IMO, likely because it swings faster.

Good luck on getting a used one, I searched for some time than finally gave up, hard to find :)

PED 01-22-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YesTennis (Post 7148870)
Was getting ready to send it back to TW.

I remember yours, you wanted $135 :)

I would recommend TW. You'll get a better price by going the TW route than by selling on here. I've done my last several sticks by trading them in and TW is a lot better than dealing with many on here.

dje31 01-22-2013 12:51 PM

My least favorite part is that opaque CAP they use on all the IG Prestiges. You can still get the black YT versions for all the others, but the S has the shared holes, so no black OEM ones exist.

Ordered an opaque replacement from TW, took a black Sharpie to it, and viola! Black CAP for Prestige S! Takes a while, but seems to have worked.

YesTennis 01-22-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PED (Post 7148877)
I remember yours, you wanted $135 :)

I would recommend TW. You'll get a better price by going the TW route than by selling on here. I've done my last several sticks by trading them in and TW is a lot better than dealing with many on here.

Thanks! I did ask that much because it was used for less than an hour and was strung with Champions Choice(gut mains/Alu Rough cross). Thought it was a fair price ).

If someone really wants it, I'll go a little lower. If not, back to TW.

PED 01-22-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YesTennis (Post 7148895)
Thanks! I did ask that much because it was used for less than an hour and was strung with Champions Choice(gut mains/Alu Rough cross). Thought it was a fair price ).

If someone really wants it, I'll go a little lower. If not, back to TW.

I've been there myself :)

One thing I will mention about the S is that it plays much better at low tension. My demo had a multi at 53lbs and it was nice. I tried my usual tension of 53/51 full Tour bite and the S had a lot lower power. I'm using it with full TB at 43/42 now and it's really nice. I've never been a low tension guy but it plays so much better.

You may want to try a lower tension before selling and taking the hit.

YesTennis 01-22-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PED (Post 7148916)
I've been there myself :)

One thing I will mention about the S is that it plays much better at low tension. My demo had a multi at 53lbs and it was nice. I tried my usual tension of 53/51 full Tour bite and the S had a lot lower power. I'm using it with full TB at 43/42 now and it's really nice. I've never been a low tension guy but it plays so much better.

You may want to try a lower tension before selling and taking the hit.

Thanks PED-much appreciated.

It really is a nice racquet. Some have mentioned a small sweet spot, but I really haven't found that to be the case. It is extremely arm friendly. I do think it's probably a little more demanding than some of the commonly referenced "tweeners," but can be a very rewarding racquet.

dje31 01-22-2013 01:26 PM

PED: Man, that's some low tension. Thanks for the heads-up.

I usually have 2-3 of my current racquet in the bag, and when I initially string them, I usually put them at opposite ends of the tension range, maybe one in the middle if I have a third, to figure out what tension works best.

Was going to do that when I get mine, but will take your advice into account. Thanks again!

RollTrackTake 01-22-2013 02:59 PM

I did a long term demo of the Prestige S (alongside Bio Max 200G & Pro 1) and have mixed feelings about it. It was strung with gut mains/multi crosses at mid tension.
1. I'm coming off playing full fledged tweeners (Pro Open, EXO3 Black) therefore the Prestige S didn't have the power I was accustomed to. The power was lower than that of the B-Max 200G & Donnay P1 as well.
2. The sweetspot did not feel as big as the other racquets. When I hit the sweetspot it felt great. Outside of it, the racquet felt unstable against hard hitters.
3. I liked the control of the racquet but it wasn't that much better than the others.
On days when I'm tired and my P1 feels sluggish I wish I had hung onto the Prestige S. Thought being if i had tried more string combos and some lead tape I could have modded the Prestige S into a slightly more maneuverable version of my stick.

JackB1 01-22-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollTrackTake (Post 7149324)
I did a long term demo of the Prestige S (alongside Bio Max 200G & Pro 1) and have mixed feelings about it. It was strung with gut mains/multi crosses at mid tension.
1. I'm coming off playing full fledged tweeners (Pro Open, EXO3 Black) therefore the Prestige S didn't have the power I was accustomed to. The power was lower than that of the B-Max 200G & Donnay P1 as well.
2. The sweetspot did not feel as big as the other racquets. When I hit the sweetspot it felt great. Outside of it, the racquet felt unstable against hard hitters.
3. I liked the control of the racquet but it wasn't that much better than the others.
On days when I'm tired and my P1 feels sluggish I wish I had hung onto the Prestige S. Thought being if i had tried more string combos and some lead tape I could have modded the Prestige S into a slightly more maneuverable version of my stick.

I agree with all these comments about the Prestige S. I also really wanted to love it, but found it a little too demanding. Balls struck dead center were great, but just a little off center and they went nowhere.

Roll...I think I have a perfect racquet for you when the P1 feels heavy...the new Vcore 97 310 gram version!

RollTrackTake 01-22-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7149795)
I agree with all these comments about the Prestige S. I also really wanted to love it, but found it a little too demanding. Balls struck dead center were great, but just a little off center and they went nowhere.

Roll...I think I have a perfect racquet for you when the P1 feels heavy...the new Vcore 97 310 gram version!

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the Vcore 97 JackB1. (May have to start a new thread). I've been poking around for info on the Yonex EZONE XI 98 (non V-Core) as well because the specs are so close to the P1 and some say its easier to swing. I wanted to love the Prestige S mostly because I wanted to play with a "Prestige" racquet and the specs were right. Truth be told I've never really played a Head racquet so maybe I'm not used to their 'feel'. I tried the Radical Tour (Agassi), the Microgel Radical, Youtek Instinct and a few others and just never clicked with them. go figure.

JackB1 01-22-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollTrackTake (Post 7149852)
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the Vcore 97 JackB1. (May have to start a new thread). I've been poking around for info on the Yonex EZONE XI 98 (non V-Core) as well because the specs are so close to the P1 and some say its easier to swing. I wanted to love the Prestige S mostly because I wanted to play with a "Prestige" racquet and the specs were right. Truth be told I've never really played a Head racquet so maybe I'm not used to their 'feel'. I tried the Radical Tour (Agassi), the Microgel Radical, Youtek Instinct and a few others and just never clicked with them. go figure.

Tried the Xi98 because I also loved the specs, but didn't like it at all.
What are the specs of your P1? Mine is 330 grams weight and swingweight.
Have you tried the Bio Maxx 200g? That plays just like the P1 but swings a little easier IMO.

I will try the vcore 97 310g when I can get my hands on a demo. They haven't been released yet.

RollTrackTake 01-22-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7150040)
Tried the Xi98 because I also loved the specs, but didn't like it at all.
What are the specs of your P1? Mine is 330 grams weight and swingweight.
Have you tried the Bio Maxx 200g? That plays just like the P1 but swings a little easier IMO.

I will try the vcore 97 310g when I can get my hands on a demo. They haven't been released yet.

my Pro 1 is 12.1oz (10g buttcap, TF overgrip & dampner) swingweight is 338 by TWU calculator. I did try the Bio Max 200G for a few months. I liked it, the thin beam, great slices, above average power, good control, ok sweetspot IMO. It was the extra oomph of the P1 that seduced me. I'm going to try the EZONE 98 to see for myself. After reading through some more buyer comments if the opportunity comes about I'll string up a Prestige S with a multi at 58lbs and put some lead in the handle, 3,9,12 and see how it responds.

JackB1 01-22-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollTrackTake (Post 7150188)
my Pro 1 is 12.1oz (10g buttcap, TF overgrip & dampner) swingweight is 338 by TWU calculator. I did try the Bio Max 200G for a few months. I liked it, the thin beam, great slices, above average power, good control, ok sweetspot IMO. It was the extra oomph of the P1 that seduced me. I'm going to try the EZONE 98 to see for myself. After reading through some more buyer comments if the opportunity comes about I'll string up a Prestige S with a multi at 58lbs and put some lead in the handle, 3,9,12 and see how it responds.

Why not remove the 10g buttcap to make your P1 more maneuverable? ANY added weight anywhere (even the handle) increases swingweight.

Did you try the 200G with a powerful multi? Lots of pop.