Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Feedback on serve please:) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451859)

Wilson636 01-21-2013 04:02 PM

Feedback on serve please:)
 
Feedback on serve:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dpx1lNRIoI

LeeD 01-21-2013 04:17 PM

Lower hitting hand at trophy.
I guess you're demonstrating your form, so I won't mention you swing slower than a sloth and use less energy than sleeping. If you swung slower, it would be static. Good for a 15 mph serve speed.

Wilson636 01-21-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7145623)
Lower hitting hand at trophy.
I guess you're demonstrating your form, so I won't mention you swing slower than a sloth and use less energy than sleeping. If you swung slower, it would be static. Good for a 15 mph serve speed.


Acceleration, thanks.:)

Graphiteking 01-21-2013 07:32 PM

It's a few things that you need to work on. I can't see your toss on your serve, so I can comment on that. Tossing hand needs to stay up, knees need to bend more on trophy position, the head of your racquet needs to be pointed up right before you get in backscratching position. Also work on racquet head speed, what you called acceleration. Start by looking on YouTube on all these things I mention one by one. Take your time and practice, practice and practice. If you want to get better it will take time.

Wilson636 01-21-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphiteking (Post 7146228)
It's a few things that you need to work on. I can't see your toss on your serve, so I can comment on that. Tossing hand needs to stay up, knees need to bend more on trophy position, the head of your racquet needs to be pointed up right before you get in backscratching position. Also work on racquet head speed, what you called acceleration. Start by looking on YouTube on all these things I mention one by one. Take your time and practice, practice and practice. If you want to get better it will take time.

True and thanks !

Chas Tennis 01-21-2013 09:39 PM

The next video that you take I'd suggest viewing from behind along the line of the ball's trajectory. It is difficult to to see some angles from that viewpoint, such as the angle between your arm and the racket when the ball is impacted.

Example,
http://vimeo.com/21512296

ITF Camera positioning for serve. Recommends camera behind net under trajectory. Behind as above works well also.
http://en.coaching.itftennis.com/med...788/109788.pdf

Chas Tennis 01-21-2013 09:49 PM

duplicate of other reply

TRVX1912 01-21-2013 11:24 PM

Also I think his contact point is very low. In the video I can see youre arm still bent while making contact. So A) You need to stop focusing on so much the trophy position rather focusing on where you are contacting the ball. Your arm needs to be fully extend when making contact Or B) Like the other posters pointed out you may need to accelerate to the ball. You can do this by simply throwing a tennis ball as hard as you can before picking up a racquet.

Wilson636 01-22-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRVX1912 (Post 7146882)
Also I think his contact point is very low. In the video I can see youre arm still bent while making contact. So A) You need to stop focusing on so much the trophy position rather focusing on where you are contacting the ball. Your arm needs to be fully extend when making contact Or B) Like the other posters pointed out you may need to accelerate to the ball. You can do this by simply throwing a tennis ball as hard as you can before picking up a racquet.

Great Advice:)

Wilson636 01-22-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chas Tennis (Post 7146749)
duplicate of other reply

That seems better:o Thanks!

mxmx 01-23-2013 05:10 AM

the two biggest problems I can see for now:

1) have a bigger takeback...you don't need to "scratch your back" as such, but i feel you need to take the racket back lower behind your back, else no power is generated.

2) always try to contact the ball as high as you can

You seem to be "late" sometimes...causing you to bend your wrist at contact. You want your wrist to extend, contact and pronate after contact. Much like a whip changes direction at highest speed...or when you hit your finger with a hammer, you "whip" the finger? Its a loose action. So basically on contact that "whip" speed is what you want - the maximum speed is then, and not before or after contact.

Chas Tennis 01-23-2013 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRVX1912 (Post 7146882)
Also I think his contact point is very low. In the video I can see youre arm still bent while making contact. ..............................

I can't see the contact point in any impacts. I can't find frames where the arm is still probably bent at impact. Do you mean at the elbow?

On YT now, unlike in the past, I find that the forward and backward arrows work to advance and go back single frames!!

chinese_tennis_guy 01-24-2013 06:40 AM

What I see is you're not actually opening up your shoulder for the throwing motion. no extension, no whip, just muscle-ing it resulting in poor racket speed, a slow serve, and eventually more forearm/elbow tendonitis (speaking as a physical therapist tennis player that used to teach tennis).

Good idea to post the vid and get comments. Good luck.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse