Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Tennis is the Cruelest of Sports (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451890)

winstonplum 01-21-2013 10:05 PM

Tennis is the Cruelest of Sports

Cf. Amalgro.

As anyone knows who has played tennis for long enough, it's hard to get over humps against certain players. We've all been there. Just keep going and get it done next time, I guess.

veroniquem 01-21-2013 11:10 PM

This match traumatized me. I don't know if I'll ever watch an Almagro match again. It was beyond sickening.

Sentinel 01-21-2013 11:13 PM

I haven't checked the match thread but i am quite certain folks must have been posting "here comes the choke" etc at 5-3 or so in the 3rd.

I woke up in the 3rd set at 4-3 and told my mom that Nico is knocking Ferrer out !!! And from then on it was downhill !

ledwix 01-21-2013 11:16 PM

You generally won't die, lose a tooth, have a concussion, or suffer major brain damage playing tennis, so I would say it is not the cruelest. Slumps are part of sports in general, though the specific psychological effects of tennis matches are unique.

RajFederer 01-21-2013 11:20 PM

Winston plum ur dead right.. I always play with a guy in our tennis courts.. We played 8 times.. Lost all.. had match points on 2 occasions.. And that feeling which comes to ur mind.. Am I really defeating him ? I lost it right there

Poor almagro suffering the same

tennis_pro 01-21-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 7146864)
I haven't checked the match thread but i am quite certain folks must have been posting "here comes the choke" etc at 5-3 or so in the 3rd.

I woke up in the 3rd set at 4-3 and told my mom that Nico is knocking Ferrer out !!! And from then on it was downhill !

So it's your fault, then!

Well a sad story for Almagro but to be honest he would be no match in the SF. Ferrer has a chance against both Berdych and Djokovic.

stringertom 01-21-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonplum (Post 7146777)
Cf. Amalgro.

As anyone knows who has played tennis for long enough, it's hard to get over humps against certain players. We've all been there. Just keep going and get it done next time, I guess.

This was an utter capitulation that will be very hard to ever recover from. Nico had never been as completely in control of any of the other 12 losses to Ferrer. He'll be a deer in the headlights from now on in their "rivalry".

BreakPoint 01-22-2013 12:02 AM

I left to go play tennis right after Almagro won the first two sets, 6-4, 6-4. Before I left, I told my sig. other - "Don't worry, Ferrer will come back and win this match." And when I came back and checked the score, sure enough, Ferrer won the match in 5 sets. Ferrer was 12-0 against Almagro. I knew there was no way that he was going to allow Almagro to beat him. Ferrer is a beast! Too bad I didn't place a bet on Ferrer to win right after the 2nd set. I'm sure I would have gotten pretty good odds.

TennisLovaLova 01-22-2013 12:20 AM

Poor Almagro must be devastated...

stringertom 01-22-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7146973)
I left to go play tennis right after Almagro won the first two sets, 6-4, 6-4. Before I left, I told my sig. other - "Don't worry, Ferrer will come back and win this match." And when I came back and checked the score, sure enough, Ferrer won the match in 5 sets. Ferrer was 12-0 against Almagro. I knew there was no way that he was going to allow Almagro to beat him. Ferrer is a beast! Too bad I didn't place a bet on Ferrer to win right after the 2nd set. I'm sure I would have gotten pretty good odds.

The only "beast" present on that court resided between Nico's ears. Ferrer did not beat Almagro as much as Nico beat himself.

raging 01-22-2013 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringertom (Post 7147196)
The only "beast" present on that court resided between Nico's ears. Ferrer did not beat Almagro as much as Nico beat himself.

It is a bit of both, Nico doesn't really believe and Ferrer would not give up.
The match-up is not good for Almagro but he has to get over it & accept it.
That belief is hard to find but he can learn from this loss.
He will still get paid for this & he can have another go at the French!:)
There are worse things in life...

rafan 01-22-2013 01:15 AM

I feel for the players more in Australia than anywhere. The conditions can be cruel .

Gonzalito17 01-22-2013 03:27 AM

The Davis Cup final loss to Stepanek in the last match and now this heartbreaking defeat to Ferrer...this could be the end of Nico.

Ferrer wanted it more in the crunch, Almagro needed to raise the adrenaline ante and show more hunger passion and desire, he was emotionally flat when it mattered most. Ferrer turned into a wall and did not miss any of the key points in set 3 and 4. Pure torture for poor Almagro.

axel89 01-22-2013 03:30 AM

Dang nico lost sad

ruerooo 01-22-2013 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzalito17 (Post 7147644)
The Davis Cup final loss to Stepanek in the last match and now this heartbreaking defeat to Ferrer...this could be the end of Nico.

I don't think so.

He's working with Juan Carlos Ferrero now, but they just started, and it's going to be hard to overcome anybody who holds a 12-0 record against you.
If he'd run into anyone else - Tsonga, Murray - the result might have been different.

And isn't the quarters the furthest he's ever gotten in the AO?

Nico will be back. And soon too -- he's playing the Golden Swing and is the defending champion at one of those tournaments.

forzamilan90 01-22-2013 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axel89 (Post 7147651)
Dang nico lost sad

What language is this?

Fiji 01-22-2013 04:18 AM

The most skillful player lost. Too bad.

Almagro's BH is beautiful.

Overdrive 01-22-2013 04:41 AM

I just couldn't believe it....
This reminds me of Wawrinka's match....
He had multiple oppurtunities to beat Ferrer, but he didn't believe that he could...
He he would've won that match, I don't think that Djokovic would grind him as well. If he would've beaten him, Federer/Murray/Tsonga just would've exposed his weaknesses..

stringertom 01-22-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruerooo (Post 7147659)
I don't think so.

He's working with Juan Carlos Ferrero now, but they just started, and it's going to be hard to overcome anybody who holds a 12-0 record against you.
If he'd run into anyone else - Tsonga, Murray - the result might have been different.

And isn't the quarters the furthest he's ever gotten in the AO?

Nico will be back. And soon too -- he's playing the Golden Swing and is the defending champion at one of those tournaments.

There's a new sheriff in town down there, no?

BreakPoint 01-22-2013 11:10 AM

Even after Almagro won the first two sets easily, I knew that he would choke and lose in 5 sets. The guy just can't get over the mental block of actually beating Ferrer, whom he's never beaten in 12 tries.