Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Gilad Bloom: Forehandfinish in the neck!? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451891)

Roberto_spin 01-21-2013 10:09 PM

Gilad Bloom: Forehandfinish in the neck!?

Hi, In europe it's winter so I'm working on my technique to improve :)

I'm a 3,5 player who has a semi-western grip and 90% of the finishes I end up wrapping around my shoulder/middle. most open en semi-open stances. I prefer clay.

I'm more of a spanish player, but I want to play more agressive on the indoor hardcourt I'm playing now, I came across this interesting article between styles american hardcourt vs spanish clay players

After searching the Internet I studied the tips form coach Gilad Bloom on the Forehand.

Why is he recommending a finish in the neck, before you end up around the shoulder?

I have read a lot of threads about the finishing and know that it's the result of how you hit before contacting the ball, not the goal on itself.

Does this helps to extend more and hit through the ball?

boramiNYC 01-21-2013 10:17 PM

I'm guessing his grip is eastern and his stance is more closed than neutral. it's very traditional swing taught for ages. It's okay to practice this as a beginner. If you use SW, you probably want to open up your stance more and finish more WW.

Roberto_spin 01-22-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boramiNYC (Post 7146791)
I'm guessing his grip is eastern and his stance is more closed than neutral. it's very traditional swing taught for ages. It's okay to practice this as a beginner. If you use SW, you probably want to open up your stance more and finish more WW.

That was also what I was assuming. But if you watch his first videoclip about clips: he is actually recommending a semi-western for the forehand and finishing this way before finishing around the shouder/middle or even reverse.

So I was thinking: does this help to extend more through a shot?

Phonco 01-22-2013 12:26 PM

I think a finish around the head/neck results in a deeper, more flat shot at the cost of spin. It seems like the motion itself causes more drive on the ball leading to more depth. A noticeable person doing this would be Djokovic. He has a Western grip and half of his shots end with the racquet near his neck.

I'm thinking that his grip already produces lots of spin and he needs a more classic follow through to get depth or else his shots would be short.

Roberto_spin 01-22-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phonco (Post 7149017)
I think a finish around the head/neck results in a deeper, more flat shot at the cost of spin. It seems like the motion itself causes more drive on the ball leading to more depth. A noticeable person doing this would be Djokovic. He has a Western grip and half of his shots end with the racquet near his neck.

I'm thinking that his grip already produces lots of spin and he needs a more classic follow through to get depth or else his shots would be short.

This is exactly what I am thinking! But only thinking...
That's why I want to understand why I should invest in practicing this shot, while a lot of coaches don't recommend it because you should focus on 1 type of finish...

BTW, I really love the reverse FH-finish and a lot of time it works on wideballs, so I do want to understand if it's worth and in what situation the around-the neck finish me can help me or it's just a stylish or personal preference thing.

2ManyAces 01-23-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phonco (Post 7149017)

wrong, djokovic has a semi-westerm grip.

arche3 01-23-2013 01:42 PM

I imagine in my minds eye suresh playing exactly like gilad.

dominikk1985 01-23-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ManyAces (Post 7154263)
wrong, djokovic has a semi-westerm grip.

I would say he has a western grip or very extreme SW.

2ManyAces 01-23-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominikk1985 (Post 7154695)
I would say he has a western grip or very extreme SW.

look up any video of him in slow mo. Pretty sure it's sw, but it can change.

luvforty 01-23-2013 02:55 PM

lack of pronation = finish at the neck.

this is old school.... them pros don't play like this no more.

Roberto_spin 01-23-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 7154667)
I imagine in my minds eye suresh playing exactly like gilad.

eeeh... who is Suresh? and how does this helps you?

BTW I my minds eye I see only cheering ladies while I'm hitting in slomo a beautifull winner! :)

Roberto_spin 01-23-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7154914)
lack of pronation = finish at the neck.

this is old school.... them pros don't play like this no more.

This sounds interesting... I know what pronation (fore-arm?), but could you explain a bit further?

And what do you think: Can this help me (i'm not a pro) with extending more (cause it's probably easier to extend en end with elbow pointing forwards to target)