Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   ATP vs. WTA: racket customization (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451896)

jelle v 01-21-2013 11:40 PM

ATP vs. WTA: racket customization

Just wondering, we all know that the rackets the men play with, in general are not the rackets we buy in the stores. They have "old rackets" with paintjobs and play with heavily modified rackets in terms of weight and balance. Except for some lucky few, we "the customer" will never play with a racket like that.

But what's the deal with women? Is it the same as with men or do they play retail rackets? Do they modify their rackets in terms of weight and balance or what? I'm guessing the do, but I don't read much about it on these boards. Any info on WTA players' rackets?

Rabbit 01-22-2013 08:21 AM

I think there was an interview with Nate Feguson of P1 Tennis in which he addressed this. The women don't see the need as much as the men for customization/normalization of their frames. Players like Henin were known to keep the same frame and change paint, but I would guess Wilson's pro room handled her frames for her. Other female pros have been reported to buy their frames off the shelf.

The two most prominent female pros, the Williams, have pretty much been all over the place with frames. They played with OS game improvement frames for a while and now play with more a players' frame. It was reported at the AO a few years ago when Serena played with a backed out frame that she played the entire tournament with one frame. The frame turned out to be a frame Wilson asked Federer to hit with and Serena loved it.

TennisCJC 01-22-2013 11:23 AM

Specs I have seen on several women indicate there is a fair amount of customization for them too. Venus, Serena, Ivanovic, Huntachova, Knetsova, and a few others have specs on the web that are very different than their stock models. Usually higher SW and static weight. Search the web for WTA racket specs or pro racket specs and you will come up with a few sites. I think there is significant customization on WTA but maybe not quite as much as on the ATP.

Federerkblade 01-22-2013 11:46 AM

To me serena racquet on tv never looks like 104 inch

DownTheLineWith90 01-22-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Federerkblade (Post 7148686)
To me serena racquet on tv never looks like 104 inch

Yes, to you.

Racquet-Priority 01-26-2013 10:17 AM

Women are most of the time less intrested in the specs. When it feels good, they don't mind much about the specs or changing them. That's just common..

dominikk1985 01-26-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racquet-Priority (Post 7167420)
Women are most of the time less intrested in the specs. When it feels good, they don't mind much about the specs or changing them. That's just common..

yes. they are probably not very important for men too but we like to play with technique:).

movdqa 01-26-2013 01:56 PM

There's a female Japanese player (Date?) that plays with a 14 ounce racquet. The Williams sisters play with light Wilson frames but the swingweights are really up there. I think that Serena's SW is higher than Roger's.

Sharapova plays with a YouTek Radical Pro with a Instinct MP PJ. A few of Hantuchova's frames were on sale at the string forums and you can go and check the specs there.

> Except for some lucky few, we "the customer" will never play
> with a racket like that.

It's not that hard to get Pro Stocks.

They are not magic either. The benefits are that XLs are available, pros can get matched frames to their weight, balance, SW specs. Pros can get molded handles and they can get frames that are out of retail production.

namui 01-26-2013 05:36 PM

I used to experience the racquet claimed to be one of the Jankovic's. It was almost 400 gram. Not that difficult to swing and very stable.

slowfox 01-26-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racquet-Priority (Post 7167420)

That's women in general. :)

rossi46 01-27-2013 09:41 PM

Women can't play tennis properly so why would they even bother with specs, customization etc. It's not exactly going to help with double faults, absurd unforced errors and breaks of serve.