Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Looking for string opinions and help (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451947)

Saareon 01-22-2013 09:39 AM

Looking for string opinions and help

Hi, this is my first post on the forums and I could really use some help. I'm in that stage where I'm still trying to find a racquet and string combination that works for me. I've demo'd 20+ racquets and I now have a Dunlop Aerogel 4D, 2009 Babalot Pure Storm GT+, and a Head Youtek IG Radical Pro.

Anyway, with that little back story out of the way I've tried tried a few different string set-up.The one big issue I have is that the string I use has to be able to last at least a month because the closest stringing shop is over an hour away from my home.

I've used Luxilon Big Banger Original and Alu Power 16. I really liked the power and control these two strings have but they seem to go dead rather quickly. Volkl Cyclone is a string I used through most of the summer. I loved the spin I could get but it was really rough on my arm and it seemed more difficult to generate pace with it. I tried it with NRG2 as a hybrid which really helped with the comfort but I was still missing the control I had with the luxilon strings. Finally, I used BHB7 17. I really love this string especially in my Pure Storm. It feels great and I can generate a fair amount of spin. The only problem with this string I've had so far is after 2 weeks, 3-4 days a week for about 3 hours a day I'm out hitting sometimes just with a ball machine, its completely unplayable. I also wish it had a bit more power.

I was looking at giving Luxilon 4G 16L, Gamma Zo Tour Rough, and mixing Dunlop Blackwidow with Juice for a hybrid. Any feedback would be appreciated .

struggle 01-22-2013 09:42 AM

get yourself a stringing machine.

Saareon 01-22-2013 09:46 AM

I honestly want to and have really thought about it.

tennisnut123 01-23-2013 06:27 PM

That would be your best bet, then you can try any strings you please.

Fuji 01-23-2013 07:27 PM

Poly only "lives" on average for 8 to 10 hours. Anything after that is going to playing with dead poly which in turn can/will lead to arm damage.

If you aren't a string breaker (which from your OP shows you're not) why not try natty guy? It plays great for it's entire life and the durability is great as long as you don't play in the rain with it / get it wet.

-Fuji

COPEY 01-23-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7148456)
get yourself a stringing machine.

There's your answer right there. Seriously, don't just think about it; do it. I promise you won't regret it. Then you can play with a string you like vs possibly settling for something just because it holds up well. Gut certainly fits the description, but there are some who don't care for it in a full bed. Again, look into buying a stringer.

benxuan 01-23-2013 11:27 PM

I'm mixing up volkl cyclone, top spin max rotation with genesis xplosion(imo one of the best multi that suits my play)

You can try them if you want.

tennisnut123 01-24-2013 04:47 AM

Get a Neos or something, really easy to learn on, and they are so simple to use...But if you are going to continue to use the stringer that is an hour or so away you are in a predicament...Multis will fray and break quicker...but polys will lose tension over time and feel dead, and if you play frequently and use a thinner poly it will most likely break fairly quick as well..so you may have to use a thicker poly which normally dont feel that good.

Lambsscroll 01-24-2013 07:32 AM

Well, it looks like you play 40 to 50 hours a month. Your looking for a string that holds its characteristics for that amount of time. Some of the natural guts like Pacific Tough Gut or even Babolat with its BT7 coating will not only last 50 hours but offer comfort, spin, control, feel for its entire life time. If the tennis shop doesn't carry natural gut buy it from TW (or whoever) and have the tennis shop string it. Labor will cost you around 10 bucks. BTW natural gut is more powerful than most other strings so increase the tension. Like 3 pounds higher than your NRG2 hybrid. Buy 16g.

jim e 01-24-2013 07:50 AM

If you get a stringer, and your closest shop is over an hour away, then once you get the hang of stringing you could possibly benefit from stringing other tennis players racquets in your area, since there are none close by. So machine will pay off and you benefit as well. Check out the videos on the sticky section of these forums, as some well put together ones are there, and you can get an idea of what stringing is all about.There are videos available, help here, as well as being member of USRSA as they have a great deal of information avail.

Like others said, nat. gut can last a long time, and it does play well until it breaks, but its the durability factor with gut. It sometimes last a good while, then again, if you are not a clean hitter and shank a ball, it may not snap at the shanked shot it can later in the bag just from that shank.If you go the nat. gut way, start with a 16g. as it is a little more durable than the 17g.I string a decent amout of nat. gut for myself and others, and the durabilty factor is a factor with gut for the long term, but it does play very well until it breaks.Nat. gut has great feel, comfort and power.

tennisnut123 01-24-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim e (Post 7157773)
If you get a stringer, and your closest shop is over an hour away, then once you get the hang of stringing you could possibly benefit from stringing other tennis players racquets in your area, since there are none close by. So machine will pay off and you benefit as well. Check out the videos on the sticky section of these forums, as some well put together ones are there, and you can get an idea of what stringing is all about.There are videos available, help here, as well as being member of USRSA as they have a great deal of information avail.

Like others said, nat. gut can last a long time, and it does play well until it breaks, but its the durability factor with gut. It sometimes last a good while, then again, if you are not a clean hitter and shank a ball, it may not snap at the shanked shot it can later in the bag just from that shank.If you go the nat. gut way, start with a 16g. as it is a little more durable than the 17g.I string a decent amout of nat. gut for myself and others, and the durabilty factor is a factor with gut for the long term, but it does play very well until it breaks.Nat. gut has great feel, comfort and power.

Such a good point about possibly stringing others rackets.

Saareon 01-25-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim e (Post 7157773)

One of the biggest reasons I've wanted to get a stringing machine is to do exactly as you mentioned, string for other players in the area. Possibly even for the local high school. I live in a more rural part of Minnesota so tennis shops are at a premium unless you're located in the cities. I think I have to swing over to the machine forum and start looking around. I've looked at stringing machines a bit and I became very interested the Gamma Progression II ELS Stringing Machine. Hopefully I'll be able to find some more information on it.

Thank you all for the feedback.

TennisCJC 01-25-2013 11:10 AM

All poly will be dead around 10 hours or so. They may not break but they either will lose tension and launch the ball or will have lost elasticity and feel flat/dead.

The longest lasting string is probably natural gut but +$$$.

Sounds like you play a lot of tennis. A stringing machine is a good investment if you do.

If you don't get a stringer, maybe Bab Tonic+ 15G or 16G gut as it will stay playable until you break it. I usually get over 20 hours before it breaks too.

A good multi might be your next option, but they tend to break faster than gut for me. NRG2 is pretty good for me.

But, sounds like a stringer might be your best bet.

jim e 01-26-2013 05:30 AM

If you do decide to string, and string other players racquets, then I advise to get as much machine as you can afford. I would at the least get fixed clamps, a 6 point mounting, and a good brake system as a minimum.
It would make the job easier, especially if stringing a decent # of racquets, the more features the more enjoyable it is. Since you are in an area where there is no competition, you should have no issues getting a decent buisness. Just be sure you have a good technique down before you start on other players racquets. You would not want even one racquet to leave your place with any mistakes or issues.The USRSA has a decent manual called "Racquet Service Techniques" that has just about all the basics needed for stringing. Also some very well put together videos on this site.

Federerkblade 01-26-2013 05:38 AM

yes but what to string the natura gut with in the crosses ?

Which poly which lasts a decent time