Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What does the world think of Bernard Tomic? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452025)

Elite 01-22-2013 06:29 PM

What does the world think of Bernard Tomic?

Australia excessively hype him up. He has a huge status here. We are a deluded bunch - whenever a tennis player from this land shows promise, we don't stop talking about him, especially during the AO. I imagine the anticipation and adulation diminishes, in terms of media hype, when he is not in Australia and competing overseas. So those around the world, how good do you think Bernard Tomic is? Does he really have the potential to claim a few GS's and crack the top ten? Has the corporate Australian media done its job to convince me that, in fact, he is the big deal?

Prisoner of Birth 01-22-2013 06:30 PM

Bernard "Tank Job" Tomic?

Elite 01-22-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisoner of Birth (Post 7150087)
Bernard "Tank Job" Tomic?

That's his middle name, yes.

forzamilan90 01-22-2013 06:31 PM

Tell you what, he surprised me in the Federer match at this year's AO. Serve and forehand have improved. He's got skills. Unorthodox style. I mean, he's legit I think. Cocky, but he's for real. He'll be top 10 in a few years. Slam contender likely by his mid 20s.

Elite 01-22-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forzamilan90 (Post 7150091)
Tell you what, he surprised me in the Federer match at this year's AO. Serve and forehand have improved. He's got skills. Unorthodox style. I mean, he's legit I think. Cocky, but he's for real. He'll be top 10 in a few years. Slam contender likely by his mid 20s.

Off topic, but your location says "The Black Lodge". Excuse my geekiness, but are you a fan of Twin Peaks?

westside 01-22-2013 06:36 PM

Don't like him, doubt I ever will...but what he showed in those first 2 sets against Fed tells me that he'll be a major contender in a couple of years.

forzamilan90 01-22-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elite (Post 7150101)
Off topic, but your location says "The Black Lodge". Excuse my geekiness, but are you a fan of Twin Peaks?

You got it! My all time fave show.

BeHappy 01-22-2013 06:54 PM

He can't move. 15 in the world max ranking.

The_Order 01-22-2013 08:05 PM

He is very arrogant. He was telling Rafter during their time together in Davis Cup that he was going to come out and beat this guy and that guy 6-1 6-2 6-2. This amongst others was the reason he was kicked off.

He has come out this year and "suddenly" he's a bit more humble. Called Ken Rosewall, Mr.Rosewall during his speech after winning Sydney but then again has also made some other stupid comments like Federer has to make it to 3rd round.

I think he's making an effort to be a bit more humble so the public/press get off his back but to me it's fake. At the end of the day, deep down he is arrogant brat and it's such a shame because he is talented and we need an Aussie to lead the next generation but this guy drinks too much of his own bath water for me to get excited about him winning tennis matches.

Defcon 01-22-2013 08:17 PM

Arrogant loudmouth punk who hasn't done anything yet to justify the hype.

dunlop_fort_knox 01-22-2013 08:19 PM

he world tries not to think of bernard tomic.

Jeffrey573639 01-22-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunlop_fort_knox (Post 7150676)
he world tries not to think of bernard tomic.

+1
10who'sbernardtomic

adil1972 01-22-2013 08:24 PM

i dont give a damn about tomic, top 10 does not matter.......... only the grand slams count

we have seen many no. 1 in wta who has not won a slam

JoelDali 01-22-2013 08:30 PM

Jerez. Some angry *** people here.

He's just a kid for God sakes.

I'm sure all of the TT arm chair 5.5s could handle the pressure of fame and GOAThood better.

:D

Mick3391 01-22-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elite (Post 7150084)
Australia excessively hype him up. He has a huge status here. We are a deluded bunch - whenever a tennis player from this land shows promise, we don't stop talking about him, especially during the AO. I imagine the anticipation and adulation diminishes, in terms of media hype, when he is not in Australia and competing overseas. So those around the world, how good do you think Bernard Tomic is? Does he really have the potential to claim a few GS's and crack the top ten? Has the corporate Australian media done its job to convince me that, in fact, he is the big deal?

Too early to tell, he is just 20. He's very confident, unique style.

No one can tell you, a punk? Most are at 20, so what.

Elite 01-22-2013 09:57 PM

Hewitt was rather arrogant in his youth, similar to Tomic's attitude. The latter backed it up. Let's hope the former can do the same.

DeShaun 01-22-2013 10:25 PM

Because he is not a home grown product to me, I am unwilling to look past his excessively irritating and highly cocky personality, and so, I do not particularly root for him to succeed, although I certainly will not lose any sleep if he does succeed...he can have whatever success he deserves in my opinion, but I cannot be bothered with going out of my way to wish him any extra good luck; that's all. If he were a home grown product I might be able to overlook his staggering arrogance.

ChanceEncounter 01-22-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelDali (Post 7150714)
Jerez. Some angry *** people here.

He's just a kid for God sakes.

I'm sure all of the TT arm chair 5.5s could handle the pressure of fame and GOAThood better.

:D

There's been plenty of kids his age and younger that have handled themselves with more humility. Being young is not an excuse for being a cocky little arsehole. More often than not, young cocky arseholes grow up to be old cocky arseholes.

Mick3391 01-22-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter (Post 7151011)
There's been plenty of kids his age and younger that have handled themselves with more humility. Being young is not an excuse for being a cocky little arsehole. More often than not, young cocky arseholes grow up to be old cocky arseholes.

Yea, sure, you've been a saint all of your life. Tired of the human race, all think they are perfect, and love to jump on people when they make a mistake. Self righteous ignorant fools, but heh, the world is full of them!

PhrygianDominant 01-22-2013 10:36 PM

I think he is a talented blowhard and a prat. I did like watching his tennis at the AO this year, but I wish he would stop talking to the press.