Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Thanks Jo/Rodge... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452053)

eliars 01-23-2013 04:34 AM

Thanks Jo/Rodge...

... for arguably giving us the best match this AO.

Tsonga was hitting winners from everywhere, Fed was coming up with some shots as well. The close moments. The match points saved. HUGE credit to both of them. Commiserations to Jo, he played a great match and he could just as well have taken this one, had it not been down to a poor service game in the 5th. Boats well for his 2013 season. Fed now takes on Murray. Surely this win will give him some confidence?

Dagobah 01-23-2013 04:36 AM

Yes, I'm more than satisfied with the results.

axel89 01-23-2013 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eliars (Post 7152726)

Tsonga was hitting winners from everywhere, Fed was coming up with some shots as well. The close moments. The match points saved. HUGE credit to both of them. Commiserations to Jo, he played a great match and he could just as well have taken this one, had it not been down to a poor service game in the 5th. Boats well for his 2013 season. Fed now takes on Murray. Surely this win will give him some confidence?

nope fed will lose in 3 will be hilarious that all the *******s will complain about murray getting a joke draw look at wimby 12 compared to murray's lol

jwjh 01-23-2013 04:36 AM

no, best match is Wawa/Nole.

Nathaniel_Near 01-23-2013 04:37 AM

It was the best match of the tournament and a match with plenty of dynamism and variety. I must thank both Roger Federer and Jo-Wilfred Tsonga for providing the most brilliant tennis match of the tournament so far.The shot-making was to die for and the quality at times was almost unreal. Major kudos must be granted to the creators of this the finest match.

joeri888 01-23-2013 04:38 AM

Yeah, it was a great match. Different from Stan/Novak but I think it's a matter of taste which you like better.

joeri888 01-23-2013 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axel89 (Post 7152736)
nope fed will lose in 3 will be hilarious that all the *******s will complain about murray getting a joke draw look at wimby 12 compared to murray's lol

I'd rather face Davydenko than a qualifying wildcard from northern ireland on grass.

Anyway, Murray had a tough draw, but I think for Murray AND for Fed, what really matters is their draw from the SF. That one was tough for Rog at Wimbledon and is tough for both at the AO.

Beryl 01-23-2013 04:42 AM

It was a good match. Prefer Stan-Nole, but this one was good too.

kishnabe 01-23-2013 04:44 AM

2nd best match of AO so far. 1st being Wawrinka Tsonga.

The Bawss 01-23-2013 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eliars (Post 7152726)

I hope Jo can galleon his way to the top in Gstaad, canoe all the way in Casablanca, barge his way through in Barcelona, sail through the draw in San Jose, kayak past his opponents in Kuala Lumpur.

Ok, I'll stop here, you guys catch my.......drift.

Warmaster 01-23-2013 04:55 AM

In terms of sheer unexpected drama, Djokovic-Wawrinka was a better match, but Fed-Tsonga was more enjoyable for me because both players were aggressive.

Nathaniel_Near 01-23-2013 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bawss (Post 7152814)
I hope Jo can galleon his way to the top in Gstaad, canoe all the way in Casablanca, barge his way through in Barcelona, sail through the draw in San Jose, kayak past his opponents in Kuala Lumpur.

Not quite, could you make it a little clearer for us!?

eliars 01-23-2013 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bawss (Post 7152814)

High hive on the analogy. Thumbs down on the Mickey mouse tournaments you included.

BHud 01-23-2013 05:58 AM

Not a great match. Fed played a little better than average and Jo Willy coughed it up as expected. JW fell apart when it mattered most (beginning of the 5th set). Who cares how valiently he played...from behind...when he had nothing to lose. He can't close out against the big boys on a major stage. Once again, the cream has risen to the top.

Duncan Bell 01-23-2013 06:08 AM

Both this and the Nole/Stan match were total tennis treats.

Think the semi finals might dish up a few more.

Allez.

martini1 01-23-2013 06:13 AM

Good match, but the 5th set is not dramatic enough. You need a fifth set going beyond 7-7 be nail biter.

underground 01-23-2013 09:20 AM

It was a good match from both. And I'm glad to see some positive attitude from Tsonga at the end as well.

TheMusicLover 01-23-2013 09:29 AM

Very entertaining match from two artistic shotmakers, one of them playing decent and solid, the other one perhaps near to his best ability.
A treat to all true tennis fans.

However, if not for the eventual outcome of the match, I'd have rated the Wawrinka - Djoko match just a bit higher.

sbengte 01-23-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishnabe (Post 7152772)
2nd best match of AO so far. 1st being Wawrinka Tsonga.

Agree, for the sheer drama, Stan-Nole pips this one. Too bad Tsonga was in Fed's quarter. He would have probably made the semis in another quarter.

Day Tripper 01-23-2013 09:52 AM

This is how tennis should be played. Well done to both players.
I am not even going to bother watching Ferrer Djokovic. I would rather watch Federer or Tsonga practice than endure these two tennis ball machines.