Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Very entertaining AO so far? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452055)

FedererDropShot 01-23-2013 04:43 AM

Very entertaining AO so far?

It's sad that Rafa isn't here (yes it sounds like I'm lying because Rafa is troublesome for Roger) but so far, this AO has been so entertaining.

Maybe the best AO in awhile?

6. Anderson def. Verdasco in 5 --> I loved Anderson's striking.

5. Simon def. Monfils in 5 --> Pushfest but so much drama. A french royale of clashing willpower. Both were physically not at their best...

4. Chardy def. Del Potro in 5 --> Chardy does some beserk ballstriking against a Del Potro who was heading towards end of 2012/ start of 2013 in brilliant form having recorded 2 victories against Roger in indoor tournaments.

3. David Ferrer def. Almagro in 5--> The 4th seed gets tested and overcomes Almagro with a 2 set deficit and Almagro had many chances to serve out the match. A superb comeback from one of the best defenders.

2. Federer def. Tsonga in 5 --> I won't lie... Tsonga really scared me... He was winning close to 90% of rallies over 9 points and really took it to Roger with aggressiveness. The 2nd seed really was tested. Roger was lucky in some ways because could have gone either way. Tsonga played stunning tennis in terms of baseline exchanges but Roger's variety saved him. Roger Rasheed has really lifted up his game and I have a feeling he might break through at perhaps the FO or Wimby. But, I'm happy Roger won.

1. Novak Djokovic def. Wawrinka in 5 --> So the 1st seed was tested first before Ferrer and Federer were tested with 5 setters. Djokovic is simply the god of absolute defence... He can push back 90% of supposed winners that comes at him.... The crowd was really excited.. Match could have gone either way but pushing was once again faithful for Novak and makes an epic 5 setter once again... Wawrinka's display of backhands was probably the best you'll ever see in awhile... The best match of this AO for sure and maybe top 3 match at least for the year.

I hope David Ferrer vs Novak Djokovic & Andy Murray vs Roger Federer will live up to expectations.... Hopefully, even better than these matches...

Sentinel 01-23-2013 06:12 AM

I don;t think the semis will be better. Ferrer's could have long exchanges but a lesser version of Noel vs Ralph. Noel should take it easily, actually.

I just hope Rodge takes out Andy easily. I can' stand Roger getting pushed, lol ! :)

Duncan Bell 01-23-2013 06:20 AM

I really think they'll be exciting - the fact they're so close to the end of a slam ramps up the intensity and atmosphere anyway; and we could be in for some epic rallies with those 4.

It really is a shame Rafa isn't here, but those matches were all fantastic, especially the top 2.

I know the WTA gets a bit of a pasting on here as well, but there have been some good matches and stories on that side as well.

Totally agree, great tourny so far, gonna miss it on Monday.

3fees 01-23-2013 06:25 AM

Its up to par,,seeds 1,2,3,and 4 in the semi's. on the atp ranking front ferrer will pass nadal in world rankings, nadal lost his 2nd place points at AO.

augustobt 01-23-2013 06:25 AM

Very entertaining. Way better than last year's, for example. Although, I still prefer the 2009's and the 2005's.

Desertman 01-23-2013 06:28 AM

So the four top men's seeds reach the semis. This tournament has, in a way, typified the way mens tennis is right now. Leaving Ferrer aside, the only way anyone outside the top three can come close to beating one of them in a GS is by hitting a real purple patch (as Wawrinka did against Djokovic) and even then it doesn't guarantee victory. Other than that, the top three swat the others aside like so many bugs that seem to invade the courts in Melbourne.

Ferrer is in the semis because he has taken over the mantle Murray had until his 2012 breakthrough year - excellent player, knocking on the door but never quite regarded as in the same league. Unfortunately, Ferrer neither has the in depth game, confidence nor time on his side to break through into the real elite club which the top three have made for themselves.

I've deliberately left Nadal out of the above analysis as I'm talking about the here and now. If/when he comes back and if/when he comes back strong then the dynamics may shift.

librarysteg 01-23-2013 06:32 AM

I've been loving it. My only complaint is geography...I hate having to either miss the night matches or get up at 4:00 in the morning for them. I'll be doing that tonight for the Djokovic-Ferrer match, and it's making me dread it just a bit.

Another match I really enjoyed was the Janowicz-Devvarman match. Coming back from two sets down is always fun to watch.

Duncan Bell 01-23-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by librarysteg (Post 7153097)
I've been loving it. My only complaint is geography...I hate having to either miss the night matches or get up at 4:00 in the morning for them. I'll be doing that tonight for the Djokovic-Ferrer match, and it's making me dread it just a bit.

Another match I really enjoyed was the Janowicz-Devvarman match. Coming back from two sets down is always fun to watch.

I have the same time zone issues, but I think it's great that it means the game is so global; and feel really lucky to have two Slams that are time-zone compatible with where I live!

ark_28 01-23-2013 06:40 AM

We have had some great matches but we have missed the one two punch and the big serve forehand combo "big man tennis" Isner would have provided that so his withdrawal was a big blow to the tournament!

ark_28 01-23-2013 06:41 AM

Clarky21 01-23-2013 06:43 AM

Not to me. It's still my least favorite slam and that's not likely to change any time soon.

Duncan Bell 01-23-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7153137)
Not to me. It's still my least favorite slam and that's not likely to change any time soon.

But...it's still a slam!

joeri888 01-23-2013 06:45 AM

I like it. I liked Roger's draw. His match with Tomic was particularly entertaining as well.

FedererDropShot 01-23-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ark_28 (Post 7153127)
We have had some great matches but we have missed the one two punch and the big serve forehand combo "big man tennis" Isner would have provided that so his withdrawal was a big blow to the tournament!

We saw some big serving + big forehands from Tsonga.

ark_28 01-23-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FedererDropShot (Post 7153158)
We saw some big serving + big forehands from Tsonga.

Exactly! And it lit up the tournament the quality of hitting from him and Fed! Isner would have done this in abundance! He beat both Federer and Tsonga with huge serve/forehand combo in the Davis Cup last year!

librarysteg 01-23-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan Bell (Post 7153118)
I have the same time zone issues, but I think it's great that it means the game is so global; and feel really lucky to have two Slams that are time-zone compatible with where I live!

And I have to admit there's something fun about getting up at 4:00 in the morning for tennis. It's one of those silly little things that makes me feel like a "real" fan. Much better than the tape-delay broadcasts.

kishnabe 01-23-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7153137)

Would it be your FAV if Novak did not win in 08,11,12 here?

joeri888 01-23-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by librarysteg (Post 7153173)
And I have to admit there's something fun about getting up at 4:00 in the morning for tennis. It's one of those silly little things that makes me feel like a "real" fan. Much better than the tape-delay broadcasts.

This. I like it. Most good matches are from 4 am onwards for me (Europe), so if you wake up early, you can watch all morning. Stan-Djo concluded at 2pm, lovely.

The USO is harder than the AO if you don't have a job and live in Europe.

Mick3391 01-23-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FedererDropShot (Post 7152770)
It's sad that Rafa isn't here (yes it sounds like I'm lying because Rafa is troublesome for Roger) but so far, this AO has been so entertaining.

Maybe the best AO in awhile?

6. Anderson def. Verdasco in 5 --> I loved Anderson's striking.

5. Simon def. Monfils in 5 --> Pushfest but so much drama. A french royale of clashing willpower. Both were physically not at their best...

4. Chardy def. Del Potro in 5 --> Chardy does some beserk ballstriking against a Del Potro who was heading towards end of 2012/ start of 2013 in brilliant form having recorded 2 victories against Roger in indoor tournaments.

3. David Ferrer def. Almagro in 5--> The 4th seed gets tested and overcomes Almagro with a 2 set deficit and Almagro had many chances to serve out the match. A superb comeback from one of the best defenders.

2. Federer def. Tsonga in 5 --> I won't lie... Tsonga really scared me... He was winning close to 90% of rallies over 9 points and really took it to Roger with aggressiveness. The 2nd seed really was tested. Roger was lucky in some ways because could have gone either way. Tsonga played stunning tennis in terms of baseline exchanges but Roger's variety saved him. Roger Rasheed has really lifted up his game and I have a feeling he might break through at perhaps the FO or Wimby. But, I'm happy Roger won.

1. Novak Djokovic def. Wawrinka in 5 --> So the 1st seed was tested first before Ferrer and Federer were tested with 5 setters. Djokovic is simply the god of absolute defence... He can push back 90% of supposed winners that comes at him.... The crowd was really excited.. Match could have gone either way but pushing was once again faithful for Novak and makes an epic 5 setter once again... Wawrinka's display of backhands was probably the best you'll ever see in awhile... The best match of this AO for sure and maybe top 3 match at least for the year.

I hope David Ferrer vs Novak Djokovic & Andy Murray vs Roger Federer will live up to expectations.... Hopefully, even better than these matches...

Yea! It's funny, every time I turn it on something great happens. I didn't want to watch Djoker blow out Wawa, but I thought "Oh watch it for a few minutes", 5 hours of probably the best match I've ever seen later I was just jazzed.

Tonights Fed match made me nervous, Tsonga CAN PLAY! That and Fed was off, I hate that, bad service game and missing stupid shots, but yea Fed is Fed and he seems to give 100% 100% of the time, but that could have gone Tsonga's way, two tiebreaks......We were biting our nails.

Great tourney!

malbaker86 01-23-2013 06:59 AM

It misses Rafa but I think the tourney has been better than I expected.

I'm glad the match ups haven't been too far off everybody's predictions which makes for more solid tennis