Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   References (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Got Spin? *Thumbs down* (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452081)

b0mb34man 01-23-2013 08:22 AM

Got Spin? *Thumbs down*

So I was selling my 2 IG Speed 16x19s, comes with grommets for about 125-130$ (Forgot value I planned on selling to him). We had exchanged a few emails then onto texts. Eventually it lead up to the point of the sale; however, he says, "Can you ship them to me today? (It was a Saturday)." He also said that he was waiting for check clearance on the weekend and hope to have the money in Paypal on Monday (banks don't clear on weekend and it sure as hell don't take one day to get to Paypal). So I told him, I'll wait. I texted him, any update? No text. Just texted him earlier today and now he doesn't want them. What does this clearly indicate? PURE SCAM! Ask to ship early and not get paid!

Email that I contacted him with: [matthehannah40@gmail.com]

Fearsome Forehand 01-23-2013 08:56 AM

When someone contacts you about a racket, the first thing you should do is run their email, user name and real name, if known.

If you had done that, you probably would not have wasted your time. The kid has sort of a checkered past on this board. :)

Delete the real name and phone number in your last paragraph or the thread will probably mysteriously disappear.
You can leave the email address, make sure it is right, are you missing the w in matthew?

b0mb34man 01-23-2013 09:11 AM

No, it was a direct copy/paste from my email which is why name was included.

b0mb34man 01-23-2013 09:15 AM

He mentioned, he has changed, but apparently not (I gave him the benefit of the doubt as one learns from mistakes).

Fearsome Forehand 01-23-2013 09:37 AM

In that situation, the best thing to do is to say, the first person who pays me gets the rackets. When you get the money and can pay me, email me.

If someone contacts you and doesn't have enough coin to make the purchase, they are wasting your time and generally it works out the exact way it did in this case. Kids, in particular, are a pain in the neck. Matt is about 17.

LanEvo 01-23-2013 10:35 AM

I think it depends on the person, it is unacceptable to ask a seller to ship before paying. Backing out of a deal is fine at least to me, but you just need to let a person know. Like I have had instances come up where we have agreed on a price and I was about to pay, but situations come up where I am unable to pay, so I either have to put the deal on hold and have them sell to another person, or cancel the whole thing. Usually sellers are understanding. And vice-versa.

And OP, I think you know better than to ship before getting paid, unless it is a very reputable person on here, like me or a handful of others (half-joking and being real). You really need to do research on a person before selling.

I guess on another note, I hope these types of threads started, don't start a "backing out of deal" bad reference frenzy.

LanEvo 01-23-2013 10:40 AM

And this is all IMO, so you can take it or just let it go out the other end.

Fearsome Forehand 01-23-2013 12:40 PM

No one should ship ahead of payment. Furthermore, no one should request a seller to ship ahead of payment. It is a ridiculous request. And given this particular kid's history of scamming people, doubly so.

b0mb34man 01-23-2013 03:47 PM

So he ends up texting me and trying to clarify his statement, "if I get payment out today, will you be able to ship" and I said sure and then he says it's cleared (check), money will probably be in paypal on Monday. Texted on Jan 22 (Tuesday), no response. By the way, I had no intentions of sending him rackets until I received payment. There was so much lack of communication as he inquired, but didn't respond to my questions and update requests. In the end, he now says he wanted to back out which was today when I posted this reference. All in all, it was sketchy from beginning to end.

Fearsome Forehand 01-23-2013 04:20 PM

My advise, whether he pays you or not, find another buyer, preferably an adult.
He is a minor and can't legally enter into a contract of any sort. Not a great idea to do business deals with minors for a variety of reasons.

If you choose to be so foolish, make sure you get delivery confirmation. Signature confirmation would be even better.

Thanks for warning the rest of us. I agree it didn't smell right. Why the big rush to ship ahead of payment?

mad dog1 01-23-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 7154991)
My advise, whether he pays you or not, find another buyer, preferably an adult.
He is a minor and can't legally enter into a contract of any sort. Not a great idea to do business deals with minors for a variety of reasons.

If you choose to be so foolish, make sure you get delivery confirmation. Signature confirmation would be even better.

Thanks for warning the rest of us. I agree it didn't smell right. Why the big rush to ship ahead of payment?

too young to apply for a credit card still so looking for the seller to extend him credit terms? ;) hey, it's the american way!