Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Meet The Future of American Tennis? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452095)

winstonplum 01-23-2013 09:47 AM

Meet The Future of American Tennis?

Or so Bonnie Ford is telling us about Sloane Stephens over at ESPN. Easy, folks. Don't these pundits remember Melanie Oudin? Making it to the semis of a slam is a fabulous achievement but it's still only one tournament. I wouldn't crown someone the "future" until they win multiple tournaments or win a slam. I hope Sloane has much, much better people around her than Oudin and that they keep her feet planted firmly on the ground. Some people reading this post might be asking Melanie who? Exactly. Thankfully for Sloane this is happening down under as opposed to NYC. Hope she survives the fuss.

winstonplum 01-23-2013 09:51 AM

Well, it look like that atrocious headline is off the ESPN site. That's a start.

bluetrain4 01-23-2013 10:03 AM

Why is anyone surprised? It's the nature of the sports media to hype the "Next Big Thing." It's the nature of sports media to tie a sappy human interest story to the straight-forward story of wins and losses.

I think we all know that the media's overnight obsession with Sloane means nothing. It doesn't make her destined for greatness.

If Sloane does go on to be a champion - great. If not, if it ends like Oudin or something else entirely, we'll roll our eyes and wait for the "Next Next Big Thing" to be touted by the media.

All these people on TT are making these dire warnings not to get to excited about Stephens, as if they're on to something that the rest of us aren't. I think we all get it. She has potential, but there's no guarantee she'll be a champion.

tacou 01-23-2013 10:36 AM

This is 100% correct, but there are 2 main differences. 1) Oudin's run to the USO QF was a complete surprise, whereas Stephens has long been touted the future of American tennis, and has seen her slam results get better and better and more consistent. 2) Oudin never had any weapons. Sloan is 19 and already has a lethal forehand and very solid backhand which will only improve.

I think Sloan's future is bright but you are right OP, it is only her future now. She is "replacing" Serena Williams, which means she needs to win at least 2 slams before we call her the future of anything.

kishnabe 01-23-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacou (Post 7153913)
This is 100% correct, but there are 2 main differences. 1) Oudin's run to the USO QF was a complete surprise, whereas Stephens has long been touted the future of American tennis, and has seen her slam results get better and better and more consistent. 2) Oudin never had any weapons. Sloan is 19 and already has a lethal forehand and very solid backhand which will only improve.

I think Sloan's future is bright but you are right OP, it is only her future now. She is "replacing" Serena Williams, which means she needs to win at least 2 slams before we call her the future of anything.

+1

Oudin= Pusher....means no future.....was mentally strong though

Sloane= Solid Basline games, Suprising net skills, and a well placed serve.

ark_28 01-23-2013 11:16 AM

Here is the future of American tennis!

axel89 01-23-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ark_28 (Post 7154043)

HELLZ YES!

always_crosscourt 01-23-2013 12:05 PM

Hell no. Wait for her to bag 5-6 slams, then maybe hype her as the next big thing for American tennis.

TennisFan436 01-23-2013 12:20 PM

Melanie was a darn fluke.

Sloane has some major potential on the women's tour. She is amazing.

Sloane, followed by Madison Keys. Isner will be washed up eventually. His physique has proven to be a major challenge irrespectiveo f his powerful serve.

Querrey? McHale? Baker? Forget about it.

THUNDERVOLLEY 01-23-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonplum (Post 7153726)
Some people reading this post might be asking Melanie who? Exactly. Thankfully for Sloane this is happening down under as opposed to NYC. Hope she survives the fuss.

Yes--and Oudin's US Open run was more impressive as she took down Sharapova, Dementieva and Petrova in a row--not just one injured player as in Stephens' case. Unfortunately, the US tennis "powers" will hype her until she fails to live up to expectations she did not create....then, they will forget her.

THUNDERVOLLEY 01-23-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ark_28 (Post 7154043)

.....okay.....:)

Oz_Rocket 01-23-2013 02:30 PM

Hey at least your "future of tennis" made it to the semis. Ours was beaten in R3 by Wodger.

jaggy 01-23-2013 04:58 PM

Bums on seats or the rating equivilant, all about hype. i like her, I hope she makes it