Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Will Federer get past Murray? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452108)

Tropikal_Knights 01-23-2013 10:07 AM

Will Federer get past Murray?
 
Righto there was a time when Fed just rolled by the grumpy one.......But lately it seems as if Murray has turned a corner mentally. His Olympics and US open wins broke his mental barrier to success against the top 3 at the highest level (Grand Slams).

So the question I pose to all is what does Federer have to do to get past the Scottish Salmon............And the million dollar question will he?


P.s. after fed demolishing him in Wimbledon I was surprised to see Murray rip him apart in the Olympics. For me I see the decline in Fed more evidenced in his in ability to stay in long rallies against the top 2 and also not converting Break points when he has them. Lost the killer instinct .......

6-1 6-3 6-0 01-23-2013 10:09 AM

The Olympics Final at Wimbledon was the first match in which I saw Murray completely outplay federer in a best of 5 sets match. The best federer could manage was losing a 6-4 set. So federer would do well to try to lose a 7-5 or 7-6 set this time, or perhaps even win a set. :-P

Surecatch 01-23-2013 10:11 AM

At this point, I really see it as a 50/50 proposition. Murray's game has matured, and while Roger's best is still better than Andy's best, Roger is more inconsistent nowadays.

50/50. We shall see.

DropShotArtist 01-23-2013 10:37 AM

There's only really one thing that can save Fed. Well maybe two. First and foremost, serve at 65% or higher. Second, no silly FH errors on routine balls. Do that and he may be able to pull it out on this surface in 4, though more likely 5 sets. Unfortunately, this isn't grass so he has a much lower chance against a defensive backboard and ROS maniac like Murray.

zam88 01-23-2013 10:42 AM

real winner should be the fans... it has the makings of a good match worth waking up at a ridiculous hour to watch

Homeboy Hotel 01-23-2013 10:45 AM

Everyone talks RF's chances down, but he beat him in 3 here couple years ago...

sureshs 01-23-2013 10:45 AM

No.......................

veroniquem 01-23-2013 10:46 AM

This one is hard to call. Murray blows hot and cold against Fed. But until Murray gets his first win vs Fed in a slam, the burden of proof is on him and one has to give a slight edge to Fed. If they play at night, Murray will also have the disadvantage of having to adjust to the conditions his opponent will be very familiar with. For a semi vs someone of Fed's caliber, it definitely makes a difference. Murray should be a bit annoyed about that.

smoledman 01-23-2013 10:47 AM

No white fang will deal Maestro a debilitating loss.

Fedex 01-23-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surecatch (Post 7154019)
At this point, I really see it as a 50/50 proposition. Murray's game has matured, and while Roger's best is still better than Andy's best, Roger is more inconsistent nowadays.

50/50. We shall see.

Are you sure? Sometimes the orthodox view isn't what it seems.
If you're talking about peaks and not results this guy thinks differently:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/13243702

"You can't go wrong with Murray. He's the best there is. He's a better player than Nadal and the other top guys."

"Better than Nadal? Better than Federer? Better than Djokovic?" I replied, incredulous.

"Sure, sure. He's more explosive. He has a better back-hand. He has a better serve."

Interview with Pato Alvarez - former national coach for Spain for 16 years, involved in tennis as player and coach for 50 years.

Someone Else 01-23-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tropikal_Knights (Post 7154004)
Will Federer get past Murray?

Will Murray get past Federer?

NadalDramaQueen 01-23-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedex (Post 7154159)
Are you sure? Sometimes the orthodox view isn't what it seems.
If you're talking about peaks and not results this guy thinks differently:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/13243702

"You can't go wrong with Murray. He's the best there is. He's a better player than Nadal and the other top guys."

"Better than Nadal? Better than Federer? Better than Djokovic?" I replied, incredulous.

"Sure, sure. He's more explosive. He has a better back-hand. He has a better serve."

Interview with Pato Alvarez - former national coach for Spain for 16 years, involved in tennis as player and coach for 50 years.

We're sure, Fedex. :lol:

Why take the word of someone who worked with Murray when Murray was young over results, other expert opinions (my least favorite method in general), aggressive margin calculations, etc..

Murray is a great player, but maybe the forum would stop giving him such a hard time if his fans would stop being outrageous.

Steve0904 01-23-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedex (Post 7154159)
Are you sure? Sometimes the orthodox view isn't what it seems.
If you're talking about peaks and not results this guy thinks differently:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/13243702

"You can't go wrong with Murray. He's the best there is. He's a better player than Nadal and the other top guys."

"Better than Nadal? Better than Federer? Better than Djokovic?" I replied, incredulous.

"Sure, sure. He's more explosive. He has a better back-hand. He has a better serve."

Interview with Pato Alvarez - former national coach for Spain for 16 years, involved in tennis as player and coach for 50 years.

No disrespect to Murray, but I think most people would say that guy has no clue what he's talking about. Even on this court I would give the edge to Roger if he played his A game for most of the match, and overall on all courts, it's even more pronounced IMHO. Problem is, Fed doesn't get there that often for that long these days.

Fedex 01-23-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalDramaQueen (Post 7154185)
We're sure, Fedex. :lol:

Why take the word of someone who worked with Murray when Murray was young over results, other expert opinions (my least favorite method in general), aggressive margin calculations, etc..

Murray is a great player, but maybe the forum would stop giving him such a hard time if his fans would stop being outrageous.

Not saying I agree and millions of others no doubt (millions not in the know though) but we're talking peak play here not results and when someone like that says it just shows how much stand out talent he has.

Agassifan 01-23-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7154148)
No.......................

Keep trying and you'll win someday.

ctoth666 01-23-2013 11:18 AM

In my opinion, and judging by what I've seen from both men, Federer will not get past Murray. Even if he did, it is out of the question for me that he would be Djokovic in the final. It sounds ridiculous to say about Federer, but I actually don't give him any chance at all. I think straight sets for Murray.

NadalDramaQueen 01-23-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedex (Post 7154211)
Not saying I agree and millions of others no doubt (millions not in the know though) but we're talking peak play here not results and when someone like that says it just shows how much stand out talent he has.

I know what we are talking about. A concept as bad as talent. Something that can be used free and clear of any facts or evidence to the contrary.

I would take real world evidence of my greatness over unfalsifiable opinions any day. Not to mention that for most people, Federer will beat Murray out in this category as well!

We'll see about who gets past the other one pretty soon though. :lol:

brianb76 01-23-2013 11:20 AM

Sexi in 4, haggis in 5

AR15 01-23-2013 11:22 AM

Should be a great match. Both players are playing extremely well.

Phoenix1983 01-23-2013 11:54 AM

Murray the Highlander in 4.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse