Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   To the gut main users (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452114)

mrmo1115 01-23-2013 10:53 AM

To the gut main users
 
If you have any experience with poly mains can you comment on the durability difference between both hybrids? It takes me a LONG time to pop poly main gut crosses, the gut pops eventually. I've never popped the poly main.

How much quicker will I pop if I put gut in mains

Love50 01-23-2013 11:15 AM

For me, the poly crosses usually flatten out while the gut mains still look fine. Once the crosses flatten, the mains will require a little straightening from time to time. Eventually the flattened crosses will shear but I generally cut out the strings before then.

mrmo1115 01-23-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Love50 (Post 7154247)
For me, the poly crosses usually flatten out while the gut mains still look fine. Once the crosses flatten, the mains will require a little straightening from time to time. Eventually the flattened crosses will shear but I generally cut out the strings before then.

Flatten? I'm not completely following you. Do they lose its playability? I was hoping that the gut/poly hybrid would give me more spin and playability with just losing some durability with the gut popping sooner. Does the poly die quicker with this hybrid too?

mad dog1 01-23-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmo1115 (Post 7154312)
Flatten? I'm not completely following you. Do they lose its playability? I was hoping that the gut/poly hybrid would give me more spin and playability with just losing some durability with the gut popping sooner. Does the poly die quicker with this hybrid too?

if you hit with enough spin, the crosses will eventually flatten and yes, once they flatten, playability suffer.

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-23-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad dog1 (Post 7154357)
if you hit with enough spin, the crosses will eventually flatten and yes, once they flatten, playability suffer.

I'm still not following you... :confused:

You mean when the strings are dead?

canny 01-23-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7154397)
I'm still not following you... :confused:

You mean when the strings are dead?

he means the strings themselves become flattened I believe. Like how shaped polys become smooth with wear.

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-23-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canny (Post 7154457)
he means the strings themselves become flattened I believe. Like how shaped polys become smooth with wear.

But what about round polys? Shaped anything will get flattened out. Head RIP Control flattens out in like 30minutes of hitting. This much I understand.

Not sure what that has to do with durability like what OP asked.

mrmo1115 01-23-2013 01:03 PM

If by flatten you mean the string dies then does it die faster in the poly cross than the poly main?

And yes the main question I have is the durability difference..was looking for any people who have experience with both hybrids and can comment on how fast they popped the gut mains vs the poly mains

mad dog1 01-23-2013 01:42 PM

the friction of the string brushing up on the ball will cause the cross string to wear down. once the round string profile has worn down, it's flat. just like motorcycle tire where the center tread is worn flat. that's also why some colored strings will leave colored string marks on the ball. you're leaving string material on the ball as you hit. just like tires leaving skid marks on the asphalt.

mad dog1 01-23-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmo1115 (Post 7154543)
If by flatten you mean the string dies then does it die faster in the poly cross than the poly main?

And yes the main question I have is the durability difference..was looking for any people who have experience with both hybrids and can comment on how fast they popped the gut mains vs the poly mains

there's a big difference in durability in a Poly/Gut hybrid vs Gut/Poly hybrid. the Gut is too soft and will never wear through the Poly mains where are the Poly is generally much harder than the Gut and will eventually saw through the Gut mains. Poly/Gut will usually last longer than Gut/Poly. i'm only talking about durability and not playability.

polytheist 01-23-2013 02:10 PM

Flattened poly? How hard must you hit to flatten a poly? I've shredded TiMo 1.10 and CoFocus 18 but never had poly in long enough to notice a ribbon-like profile.

Course you could buy a pre-flattened poly with Gosen PolyMaster. But it wouldn't play "flat", would it?

mad dog1 01-23-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polytheist (Post 7154770)
Flattened poly? How hard must you hit to flatten a poly? I've shredded TiMo 1.10 and CoFocus 18 but never had poly in long enough to notice a ribbon-like profile.

Course you could buy a pre-flattened poly with Gosen PolyMaster. But it wouldn't play "flat", would it?

it depends on the poly. some polys leave more 'tire marks' than other. I tried TF Red Code 16 and the crosses were so flat that it did look alot like a ribbon after ~15 hrs of hitting. after 20 hrs of hitting w/ Iontec, the crosses are no longer round, but they're not nearly as ribbon like as TF RC.

when i've used OGSM and NVy for crosses, they end up pretty flat after 6-10 hrs depending on the string pattern of the racquet.

mrmo1115 01-23-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad dog1 (Post 7154690)
there's a big difference in durability in a Poly/Gut hybrid vs Gut/Poly hybrid. the Gut is too soft and will never wear through the Poly mains where are the Poly is generally much harder than the Gut and will eventually saw through the Gut mains. Poly/Gut will usually last longer than Gut/Poly. i'm only talking about durability and not playability.

Now if I asked about playability will the answer be different than the durability? Which will have more playability for a longer duration?

mad dog1 01-23-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmo1115 (Post 7154854)
Now if I asked about playability will the answer be different than the durability? Which will have more playability for a longer duration?

playability will depend on which poly you're using. some polys hold tension better than others. naturally, the better a poly holds tension, the longer the playability. if the poly loses too much tension, with the gut mains, you'll end up w/ rocket launcher in your hands in no time.

Love50 01-23-2013 02:52 PM

Thanks mad dog1, you answered all the OP's questions regarding flattened crosses :-)

Quote:

Now if I asked about playability will the answer be different than the durability? Which will have more playability for a longer duration?
Sorry I can't compare either durability or playability between the two. I cut full bed poly after a few hours, so it is unlikely I will string up gut in the crosses.

For gut/poly playability, I think once the crosses flatten, how long you can play with it depends on you and perhaps your wallet :twisted:. To me, the string bed is not as precise anymore, so I wouldn't play with it for much longer. However, if your hitting style is not sensitive to that, you can probably play until it breaks.

mrmo1115 01-23-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad dog1 (Post 7154894)
playability will depend on which poly you're using. some polys hold tension better than others. naturally, the better a poly holds tension, the longer the playability. if the poly loses too much tension, with the gut mains, you'll end up w/ rocket launcher in your hands in no time.

I see. Which out of the two will I get longer playability without the tension being lost as fast poly mains or poly crosses?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse