Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Beer & Tournaments (No Teetotalers Please) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452175)

USS Tang 01-23-2013 05:46 PM

Beer & Tournaments (No Teetotalers Please)
 
I like to drink two beers a night before dinner. Been doing it for 40+ years. I play USTA-sanctioned tournaments and always drink a beer or two before dinner as the draw progresses. Never before a match, of course; only at the end of the day. Does anybody see anything deleterious (bad, hamful, etc.) about this? All the Aussies did it in the glory years of Fraser, Anderson, Hoad, Rosewall, Laver, Emerson et al. Then again, I'm not in their category. Any thoughts?

ollinger 01-23-2013 06:20 PM

Increased risk of dementia. A handful of studies now have all shown that any alcohol in excess of one drink (12 ounces beer, 5 ounces wine, or 1.5 ounces liquor) a day causes elevated rate of dementia.

USS Tang 01-24-2013 05:03 AM

I said "no teetotalers." Are you trying to ruin my fun?

sureshs 01-24-2013 05:41 AM

You already got dementia, since you did not remember that ollinger talked about one drink being ok.

rdis10093 01-24-2013 05:45 AM

two drinks wont kill you. beer is low ac at that. drink on my friend.

rdis10093 01-24-2013 06:15 AM

my local club has something of a social tournament, and there is a two drink min!

colowhisper 01-24-2013 06:17 AM

Whew... I have the same habit, always looking for any type of justification...

mikeler 01-24-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdis10093 (Post 7157407)
two drinks wont kill you. beer is low ac at that. drink on my friend.

Not if you drink India Pale Ales.

theyhatethecans 01-24-2013 06:59 AM

My drinking team has a tennis problem.

Beer a set is your best bet. Swing juice.

Every team I've ever played on, it seems the tennis is just an excuse to get together and have fun. Something is going to get me eventually, might as well enjoy it. It takes all kinds.

rdis10093 01-24-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7157596)
Not if you drink India Pale Ales.

do tell the %

theyhatethecans 01-24-2013 07:38 AM

My favorite IPA by Sweetwater is 6.3%. Dogfish 90 minute IPA (there is a great beer related thread on this board with this beer in the thread title) is 9.0% ABV and it is a really fine beer.

mikeler 01-24-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theyhatethecans (Post 7157724)
My favorite IPA by Sweetwater is 6.3%. Dogfish 90 minute IPA (there is a great beer related thread on this board with this beer in the thread title) is 9.0% ABV and it is a really fine beer.

The irony is that I started that thread and now can't drink beer anymore. :(

Some of the double IPAs go well above 10%.

theyhatethecans 01-24-2013 12:30 PM

mikeler - I hate it for you. I don't know what I would do. Without beer, life would be a mistake.

rdis10093 01-24-2013 12:32 PM

more of a black label man my self

theyhatethecans 01-24-2013 12:35 PM

If I'm going whiskey, I'm going Wild Turkey. So many good Southern whiskeys.

SystemicAnomaly 01-24-2013 12:41 PM

Some athletes, even elite ones, find that 1/3 or 1/2 serving of alcohol prioe to competition can promote relaxation to elicit a peak performance. Any more than that and reflexes/reaction time will be impaired.

I will usually drink 1/2 to one serving of red wine (or occasionally beer) a day. Note, however, as ollinger indicates, even moderate drinking can result in an increased risk of dementia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18856658

rdis10093 01-24-2013 12:42 PM

never had, not a fan of rough whiskey. I like something that is smooth and is just best straight.

rdis10093 01-24-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly (Post 7158779)
Some athletes, even elite ones, find that 1/3 or 1/2 serving of alcohol prioe to competition can promote relaxation to elicit a peak performance. Any more than that and reflexes/reaction time will be impaired.

I will usually drink 1/2 to one serving of red wine (or occasionally beer) a day. Note, however, as ollinger indicates, even moderate drinking can result in an increased risk of dementia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18856658

good die young

LeeD 01-24-2013 12:45 PM

Drinking or smoking pot works for some, totally destroy's others.
If it keeps the game fun, go for it.

USS Tang 01-24-2013 12:55 PM

To quote Winston S. Churchill, "I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me."


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse