Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Azarenka cheated using the injury time out (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452213)

Amelie Mauresmo 01-23-2013 09:44 PM

Azarenka cheated using the injury time out

The WTA Tour needs to be more stringent with these so called injury time outs players have during the grand slams. I believe Azarenka used the injury time out because she wanted to cool down and hope Sloane Stephens would have a bad game and it happened.

The problem with an injury is a player can fake it. Azarenka claimed she had both a knee problem and a rib problem to give her more time. It took 10 minutes for the injury time out. It is clear to me players are cheating sometimes using this as a strategy. The WTA needs to change this rule make it more consistent and tight so players can't abuse it.

BreakPoint 01-23-2013 09:50 PM

Not just the WTA, the ATP should tighten the MTO rule, too.

woodrow1029 01-23-2013 09:51 PM

And since the ATP and WTA rules don't apply at the slams, you may want to add ITF to your list.

Nathaniel_Near 01-23-2013 09:52 PM

It would appear that she did.

NadalAgassi 01-23-2013 09:54 PM

She made a big mistake. She was probably going to win the semifinal anyway, but now in the final the crowd will be firmly against her (they would have been slightly anyway but now they will be in a huge way I predict, and given how emotional she is I could see her imploding under that).

Alohajrtennis 01-23-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathaniel_Near (Post 7156370)
It would appear that she did.

Completely disgusted. Amazing chutzpah. The narcissistic attitudes are killing the women's tour. As if the woo hooing wasn't enough.

scootad. 01-23-2013 10:10 PM

Aza is a disgusting low class shady hyena

RajFederer 01-23-2013 10:15 PM

Shitrenka .. How did she even think of cheating that poor Stephens.. If ur having a better opponent like serene on the other side.. It atleast makes sense.. This is ridiculous..

I guess she should not allowed to the final..

kpktennis 01-23-2013 10:17 PM

Hope she isn't w/ that loser redfoo and if she is I wonder what she has caught from him, I actually liked Vika but agree that was classless and disgusting

kalyan4fedever 01-23-2013 11:05 PM

the oz open is azarenka's now love to see lina take it.

Sentinel 01-24-2013 01:41 AM

Tightening the MTO rule (esp in the men's tour) won't make a diff. They'll just take even more time toweling off and bouncing the ball :D

VaporDude95 01-24-2013 01:46 AM

It was poor sportsmanship from shriekarenka. Sloane's first semi final and aza had to wreck the experience. This behaviour from a world number 1, the ambassador for women's tennis was disgusting.

The Meat 01-24-2013 01:50 AM

Hope Li Na beats here badly

Magnus 01-24-2013 03:09 AM

That's what happens when the likes of Nadal set the example. Tennis is becoming a sport for cheaters and bullies, like soccer. Nadal has ruined the sport.

PaulFCB 01-24-2013 03:20 AM

Injury is part of the sport, in football you can use 3 substitutes in other sports like basketball you can switch players during the game.
I think it's fair that tennis lets players have a time out in case something hurts especially if it helps determining that the problem can worsen up if the players continues or it's something treatable in a matter of minutes.

arche3 01-24-2013 03:29 AM

So azi doesn't mention the injury at the end of match interview and she is cheating. But if she mentions it in the case she lost she is complaining. I saw the match. She did look like she was hurt. Why is the fact she admitted she was choking at the end mean she was not injured? And regardless does the timeout for injuries mean you automatically win? No. They still had to play. Stephens loss because she choked on all her service games. She held about one of her own serves the second set.

diggler 01-24-2013 03:35 AM

I think it was a pretty poor act. The rules need to be tightened. First of all, you shouldn't have a double injury time.

Maybe one timeout per match you can use for injury or any other reason.

Bobby Jr 01-24-2013 03:38 AM

They should just change the MTO rules so that if your opponent is within 2 games of the set you have to wait.

It'd be a simple change to the rule and easy to enforce.

They could even make it more so if you must call for a MTO inside that time you forfeit the next game.

augustobt 01-24-2013 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7156360)
Not just the WTA, the ATP should tighten the MTO rule, too.

Petzchner agrees.

North 01-24-2013 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Jr (Post 7157195)
They could even make it more so if you must call for a MTO inside that time you forfeit the next game.

I think it would be reasonable to forfeit the next game if the next game is on the opponent's serve. If you need to take MTO, do it when you are up to serve.