Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Ferrer tribute (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452235)

Russeljones 01-24-2013 03:20 AM

Ferrer tribute

This guy had nothing going into the SF. No energy, no belief, no history, nothing. He didn't fake some injury to get out of the spotlight and save himself the humiliation, however. He is a real pro and in my eyes one of the ouststanding role models in today's game.

Much respect.

PaulFCB 01-24-2013 03:22 AM

Well, at least he one a Masters last year, he won't retire without a major trophy.

Feather 01-24-2013 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russeljones (Post 7157168)
This guy had nothing going into the SF. No energy, no belief, no history, nothing. He didn't fake some injury to get out of the spotlight and save himself the humiliation, however. He is a real pro and in my eyes one of the ouststanding role models in today's game.

Much respect.

Very well said. I like his attitude.

Much respect

Legend of Borg 01-24-2013 03:25 AM

Do you honestly think he would have faked an injury/retired before the match started?

Duncan Bell 01-24-2013 03:31 AM

You're giving the guy respect even though you thought he had no belief?

I love Ferrer, but not because of that...

RadicalMPfan 01-24-2013 03:53 AM

what would tipsy do?

xan 01-24-2013 05:58 AM

win a set at least.

mossi 01-24-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather (Post 7157176)
Very well said. I like his attitude.

Much respect

Respect for Ferrer!

Flash O'Groove 01-24-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Much respect.

Ferrer is the most vertuous player ever.

NJ1 01-24-2013 06:55 AM

Agreed, a really likable and dedicated guy, just one who lacks the natural talent to win a major.

Were I a scheming professor I'd like to have melded Ferrer with Rios or Safin to create a 20-major Frankenchamp.

Mainad 01-24-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ1 (Post 7157618)
Agreed, a really likable and dedicated guy, just one who lacks the natural talent to win a major.

Agreed. He has had the misfortune to play in the same era as 3 of the greatest and most consistent tennis players the world has ever seen. They are like a solid, granite wall against all the hopes and expectations of the lower-ranked players. Ferrer, the most consistent of them all, has been their chief victim. Had he been lucky enough to play in a weaker era he would probably have at least one Major and a few more Masters titles under his belt by now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ1 (Post 7157618)
Were I a scheming professor I'd like to have melded Ferrer with Rios or Safin to create a 20-major Frankenchamp.

Seems a tad ironic that you would want to meld him with a player who never even won ONE Major!

kishnabe 01-24-2013 07:39 AM

Ferrer best chance at a Major is against Murray and Nadal.

Bhagi Katbamna 01-24-2013 07:41 AM

Unfortunately for Ferrer, he has no killer shot that he can reliably use to get points. Consequently, he grinds out matches in the early part of GS tournaments and then loses in the quarters or semis to someone who does have a killer shot or two.

Relinquis 01-24-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Much respect.

He has a lot of grit and mental toughness, but it is frustrating to see him play Novak. I wish he would try a different strategy.

Fedex 01-24-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadicalMPfan (Post 7157214)
what would tipsy do?

If he was playing Djokovic, retire to give his pal a rest.
Against anyone else play hard as nails unless that opponent was to face a future opponent of Djokovic to make sure they had a hard match.

Sid_Vicious 01-24-2013 08:00 AM

I don't see any reason to sugarcoat Ferrer's beatdown. Harrison, Stepanek, Chardy, Simon etc. all took beatings from top tennis players and did not pull sleazy MTOs or make excuses. I guess they deserve a tribute thread as well.

steenkash 01-24-2013 08:03 AM

Unlike e.g. Simon, he did not complain about having 'tiredness' to the press.

Sid_Vicious 01-24-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steenkash (Post 7157815)
Unlike e.g. Simon, he did not complain about having 'tiredness' to the press.

Well,Simon WAS tired. He did not act like he was going to win against Murray if he was fit. He said he just wanted to make a better account of himself out there. Murray even acknowledged that he knew his opponent was suffering. Is it a crime for a guy to say that he could not perform his best? Seriously, If player was suffering from stage IV cancer during a match, I bet people on this forum will accuse him of making excuses if he mentioned it in a presser. :-|

NJ1 01-24-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 7157641)

Seems a tad ironic that you would want to meld him with a player who never even won 1 Major!

I hear you, but Rios had so much talent, it was just wasted. With Ferrer's physical dedication and mental strength I reckon Rios would've been have been a multi-major guy. Since he lacked this though, he won what he deserved- zilch.

TMF 01-24-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Much respect.

And he's one of the nicest guy on the tour. He doesn't complain, get angry, and handles countless of tough losses nicely(I wish Nadal was like him). I feel bad for him, he doesn't have any fire power because of being undersize as a tennis player to compete against the big boys.