Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What to do about inclement weather for Regional tournament? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452269)

Sgv10sPlyr 01-24-2013 08:27 AM

What to do about inclement weather for Regional tournament?
 
My son is in the Las Vegas Regional tournament this weekend, but the weather forecast indicates rain for Saturday and Sunday. I am in the Los Angeles area...so would you guys still make the drive out there and wait around for the whole weekend?

woodrow1029 01-24-2013 08:33 AM

If the tournament is played, and you don't go because of potential weather problems, suspension points could be a factor.

tennis5 01-24-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodrow1029 (Post 7157927)
If the tournament is played, and you don't go because of potential weather problems, suspension points could be a factor.

If he doesn't pull out, and is a no show, then yes suspension points.

But, if the called the TD and explained that it was going to be a hardship to make the trip and needed to pull out,
they will fill from the alternate list.
NO SUSPENSION POINTS.

I have pulled my son from national tournaments due to illness and sick parents, and I have never encountered a problem,
and found the TD are always compassionate.

woodrow1029 01-24-2013 09:18 AM

Well, you got lucky. In some sections, you are still subject to suspension points for withdrawals for any reason.

woodrow1029 01-24-2013 09:22 AM

But, yes, I was thinking more along the lines of "no-show".

Sgv10sPlyr 01-24-2013 09:35 AM

If the weather got bad enough where I would have to drive through snow in the Cajon Pass to get to Las Vegas, I think I would definitely let the TD know in advance so he can place an alternate in the draw.

Being from SoCal, the thought of driving in snow is not something I look forward to.

Chemist 01-25-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgv10sPlyr (Post 7157909)
My son is in the Las Vegas Regional tournament this weekend, but the weather forecast indicates rain for Saturday and Sunday. I am in the Los Angeles area...so would you guys still make the drive out there and wait around for the whole weekend?

Weather.com shows 40% chance of rain on Saturday and good weather for both Sunday and Monday in Vegas. Your son can still get to play several matches, even if Saturday were to rain out.

I pulled my son out last years L3 in Atlanta because of 80-100% chance of rains everyday Saturday to Monday. The tournament director was ok for me to pull him out, raining was my excuse in my email. I don't think any boys matches were completed. All players except us got refunded for the entry fees. But we still saved a few hundreds in car rental and hotel; we were not thrilled for wasting $300 to cancel non-refundable air tickets.

Sgv10sPlyr 01-26-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemist (Post 7164035)
Weather.com shows 40% chance of rain on Saturday and good weather for both Sunday and Monday in Vegas. Your son can still get to play several matches, even if Saturday were to rain out.

So tournament play was canceled on Saturday due to rain, now the players will have to play up to three singles matches and one doubles. At least now if the match goes to third set, it will be a super tiebreak.

Life can be tough as a competitive tennis player sometimes.

Chemist 01-27-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgv10sPlyr (Post 7169043)
So tournament play was canceled on Saturday due to rain, now the players will have to play up to three singles matches and one doubles. At least now if the match goes to third set, it will be a super tiebreak.

Life can be tough as a competitive tennis player sometimes.

Looks like you have made a very smart decision not driving thru snowy mountains:)


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse