Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Mauresmo overrated? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452275)

NadalAgassi 01-24-2013 09:25 AM

Mauresmo overrated?

I think Mauresmo is an overrated player. People talk about her amazing talent and that she should have won more than 2 slams yet so many things stand out that indicate she wasnt that good and was perhaps lucky to even win 2 slams:

-The 2002 U.S Open Semifinal. Mauresmo was playing her very best tennis, and her best ever fast hard court tennis. Venus was playing so incredibly poorly that revered tennis expert and historian Mary Carillo in the booth said it would be a sombre and depressing win for Venus even in victory. So for Mauresmo to play her very best and Venus to play so poorly that the hugely respected tennis expert Mary Carillo claimed it would be extremely depresing for Venus to win playing that horribly, shows just how far from the best players she is, and is embarassing to lose in such circumstances for a top 5 player, no matter how dominant the Williams were at the time.

-Her lifetime 2-11 record vs Serena, and losing a bagel set to a semi retired Serena in her worst physical shape and form ever at the 2006 U.S Open.

-In her best year ever losing two bagel sets to Sharapova at the U.S Open.

-In 2004 she had a golden opportunity to win 2 or 3 slams, her chance of having her best year ever, even better than 2006. Yet she blew chances to win the French (played tame wimpish tennis and lost to Dementieva, would have had to only beat Dementieva, Saurez, and Myskina for title), Wimbledon (where she couldnt even close out a subpar Serena after being a set, a break, and points for 2 breaks up, and would have had Sharapova who she won her first 3 matches against all the way up to September 06 in the final), and the U.S Open (where she lost a 3rd set tiebreaker to injured and double faulting Dementieva, after wasting tons of chances to close the match out).

-The 2002 Wimbledon semis she was playing her best ever grass tennis and lost 6-2, 6-1 to Serena. So in conjuction with the 02 U.S Open semis in short Mauresmo at 100% barely gets games off a Williams at 100%, and Mauresmo at 100% still cant even beat a Williams at 30% which doesnt speak well to her abilities.

In 2006 she found herself with a great situation since she was always a somewhat bad matchup for Henin due to her heavy topspin shots being a big problem for Henin with her lack of height (the same reason Stosur who is an even weaker player than Mauresmo has a great record vs Henin), and even at that she still has a losing record with Henin but the bad matchup means she is much happier when Henin is the one to beat than a slew of others, the Willimas being AWOL, Clijsters past her prime and unmotivated, Davenport who even in old age owned her out injured most of the year, and also having the upper hand on Sharapova early in their rivalry. She played well but had she not had a year that presented itself with the favorable matchups and opponents late in her career like it did, she might have even gone slamless, especialy after choking her big opportunity year away in 2004.

It seems most rate her above Capriati and Pierce. I understand as she has 27 titles to Capriati's 14 despite having 1 less slam, and she has more success than Pierce in every respec other than slam finals. However those two at their best were more devastating and competitive the top players than Amelie.

slowfox 01-24-2013 09:29 AM

Wrong forum.
Yes, I think she's a bit overrated.

NadalAgassi 01-24-2013 10:03 AM

On another note if the poster Amelie Mauresmo is Mauresmo herself I am sorry to offend you by my opinion that you are overrated, nothing personal, just how I feel about your tennis abilities only. I really dont think it is, but just in case.

goober 01-24-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 7158233)
On another note if the poster Amelie Mauresmo is Mauresmo herself I am sorry to offend you by my opinion that you are overrated, nothing personal, just how I feel about your tennis abilities only. I really dont think it is, but just in case.

Highly doubt it. Would the real Amelie start a thread about men's butts in the OT forum?

NadalAgassi 01-24-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 7158300)
Highly doubt it. Would the real Amelie start a thread about men's butts in the OT forum?

Sorry I never saw that. Yeah I cant imagine that.

jaggy 01-24-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 7158300)

Only as a comparison

axel89 01-24-2013 10:48 AM

lol amile mauresmo has an account at tt

Phoenix1983 01-24-2013 11:07 AM

I don't think she's overrated, simply because no-one actually rates her as that great.

Moose Malloy 01-24-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

On another note if the poster Amelie Mauresmo is Mauresmo herself
don't push it, it doesn't look like anyone else has caught on to your new game.

god the internet is weird.

NadalAgassi 01-24-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix1983 (Post 7158463)
I don't think she's overrated, simply because no-one actually rates her as that great.

Most people rate her over Capriati and Pierce which I question somewhat, even if she did have the better career technically speaking, I think her abilities are less than theirs despite her greater achievements.

Phoenix1983 01-24-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 7158469)
Most people rate her over Capriati and Pierce which I question somewhat, even if she did have the better career technically speaking, I think her abilities are less than theirs despite her greater achievements.

She didn't have a better career than Capriati though.

3 slams + Olympic gold > 2 slams (one won against an injured Henin).

The only big title Mauresmo won legitimately was Wimbledon 2006.

NadalAgassi 01-24-2013 09:49 PM

Mauresmo has 1 less slam than Capriati but she won the WTA Championships which is atleast as big (most on this forum atleast when it comes to the ATP say much bigger) than the Olympic Gold, and her combined WTA Championships/Olympic achievements of 1 WTA Championship title, 2 other WTA Championship finals + Olympic silver far trump Capriati's 1 Olympic Gold and no WTA Championship finals. Mauresmo has 25 titles to Capriati's 14, 6 tier 1 vs only 2 for Capriati, and 21 Premier titles vs only 6 for Capriati, spent more time ranked #1, was ranked #1 in the middle part of 2 different years unlike Capriati, etc....so this is one of those cases where the monstrous difference in their other stats are enough to overcome just 1 extra major. Especialy when Mauresmo won Wimbledon which is more prestigious anyway, and Capriati never even made a Wimbledon or U.S Open final.

So yes Mauresmo did overall have a better career than Capriati despite winning 1 fewer slam. Because of that most people rate her as a better player though, and I think Capriati is the better player of the two despite having the lesser career. Capriati's historic great U.S Open semifinal matches even in defeat, and her record vs Serena, and her precociousness make her a better player than Mauresmo despite Mauresmo's greater career, but it seems most dont feel that way which is overrating Mauresmo IMHO. Likewise Mauresmo also had a better career than Pierce, and because of that most assume she was the better player, but I think Pierce is also a better player than Mauresmo despite her lesser career.

Phoenix1983 01-25-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 7160251)
Mauresmo has 1 less slam than Capriati but she won the WTA Championships which is atleast as big (most on this forum atleast when it comes to the ATP say much bigger) than the Olympic Gold, and her combined WTA Championships/Olympic achievements of 1 WTA Championship title, 2 other WTA Championship finals + Olympic silver far trump Capriati's 1 Olympic Gold and no WTA Championship finals. Mauresmo has 25 titles to Capriati's 14, 6 tier 1 vs only 2 for Capriati, and 21 Premier titles vs only 6 for Capriati, spent more time ranked #1, was ranked #1 in the middle part of 2 different years unlike Capriati, etc....so this is one of those cases where the monstrous difference in their other stats are enough to overcome just 1 extra major.

Not for me it isn't. I don't place much value on lesser titles when ranking all-time greats. :-?

zagor 01-25-2013 02:07 AM

Heh, I remember how I thought Henin was gonna finally win Wimbledon before 2006 final, shame she didn't take that chance.

vive le beau jeu ! 01-25-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 7158233)

:D

do you feel better ?

OHBH 01-25-2013 02:39 AM

Nobody talks/cares about Mauresmo anymore. The only time she is brought up is when commentators are covering a match with a WTA player who knows how to hit a slice backhand and how the women's game has come to ballbashing. They mention Mauresmo as an example of how one can win with slice/ohbh, but the whole underachieving line is a courtesy all commentators give to all half decent slam winners.

muddlehead 01-25-2013 08:31 AM

Mention mauresmo and i think back to a frigid late sunday night at indian wells on court 3 in front of about 50 frozen fans in march 2009. Mauresmo playing out the string. Her opponent - someone i'd never seen before - li na. Simply put, both gals crushed the ball...

The-Champ 01-25-2013 05:43 PM

i don't think she is overrated at all. Amelie was very talented. The only real all-courter of the last decade. Great fh, great 1 handed topspin bh and very competent at the net. She was however, the mentally weakest of all the slam winners I've ever seen. Yes, much weaker mentally than Novotna.

NadalAgassi 01-25-2013 05:47 PM

To those few ones who think she is any good read this part especialy:

Quote:

The 2002 U.S Open Semifinal. Mauresmo was playing her very best tennis, and her best ever fast hard court tennis. Venus was playing so incredibly poorly that revered tennis expert and historian Mary Carillo in the booth said it would be a sombre and depressing win for Venus even in victory. So for Mauresmo to play her very best and Venus to play so poorly that the hugely respected tennis expert Mary Carillo claimed it would be extremely depresing for Venus to win playing that horribly, shows just how far from the best players she is, and is embarassing to lose in such circumstances for a top 5 player, no matter how dominant the Williams were at the time.

Phoenix1983 01-26-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 7165442)
To those few ones who think she is any good read this part especialy:

What is it with you and your love for the Williams sisters?