Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Is variety overrated? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452279)

sureshs 01-24-2013 09:33 AM

Is variety overrated?

Well, I think it was Chrissie's comment, from the voice. She was talking about how Sloane has more variety then Azzy, but how more variety means more things can go wrong (and how Azzy does a few things only and does it very well).

If you look at Djokovic/Nadal vs Federer, do you think Fed's so-called variety is a liability or a strength?

LeeD 01-24-2013 09:36 AM

Variety always breeds more choices, which oftentimes can lead to confusion and mistakes.
But variety also allows more varied shots, which can be applied in more different situations.
Say you're walking into a gunfight at the OK Corral. Most of you bring sixguns single action, and a few lever action rifles of 8 round capacity.
Should you bring your VulcanMiniGun with it's 200 rounds and 40 lbs weight?
Should you bring your F-23 and the attendant servo crew and runway, fuel and weapons systems?
Or should you bring a backup slingshot, a combat knife, and be done with it?
Which would you choose?

sureshs 01-24-2013 09:38 AM

I will need to think about that

LeeD 01-24-2013 10:00 AM

Remember the movie "Predator"? With Arnie?
Let's transpose it to reality. First of all, nobody, not even an additional 8 guys, can carry that much ammunition.
What's the sense of the VulcanMiniGun? It eats up 1,000 rounds per minute of .223. CAR's and M's need .223 ammo. M's can be fired full auto, for maybe 3 clips max rapid loading. That's 60 rounds in a real minute.
Why have Bros carrying 9mil? It don't penetrate jungle, it's an off sized round, it has no range, and it still needs 3 rounds to down a bad guy. It's carried in everyone's pistol belt, for emergency close range ONLY.
And, none of the guns are compatible with the bad guy's 7.62x39 shorts! So you can't just use their ammo.
So Predator is picking off peeps one by one. Does it make any sense to make a log stand with a 14" combat knife, and nothing else? That was stupid.
You go into the jungle, expecting perps to use AK's. OK, get everyone on AK's or everyone on .223 using the same magazines! Don't mix guns.

tennismonkey 01-24-2013 10:04 AM

such a good movie. saw it again recently. still holds up.

LeeD 01-24-2013 10:07 AM

Yeah, love the Governor's of Montana..or whatever state, and California on there.

slowfox 01-24-2013 10:11 AM

Whoa Lee, what's with all the gun analogies? Should we be worried..? :) I think kitchen appliances could have suited your metaphors just as well.

As for variety, well... I can see it both ways, good or bad.

LeeD 01-24-2013 10:15 AM

I'm the cook in our relationship. I HATE it when g'f uses a colinder, 3 different stir spoons, a veggie spinner, several more strainers, cooking forks and spoons, different eating forks and spoons, and guess who cleans the whole menagerie up?
I use the same fork and knife to cut, to serve, and to eat with.
I also use them to strain the water/liquids, and wash AS I cook.
I spend an hour a day cleaning up after my woman invades my kitchen and uses all her various accessories that I don't deem necessary.
Waste clutter my life.
OTOH, a simple life is a lonely life.

slowfox 01-24-2013 10:30 AM

So variety is overrated? But c'mon, the veggie spinner is a good thing. Otherwise salad dressing doesn't stick and gets all watery. :)

Camping would suit you. A swiss army knife to do everything !

LeeD 01-24-2013 10:36 AM

I don't eat salads, or veggies either.
Ever need to clean up after a vegetarian? Or a veggan? Just a huge messy oily buttfuglay mess.
Meat can be cleaned with soap and water.
Veggies are an organic unsightly mess.
I DO eat the lettuce in my BigMacs.

Pickle9 01-24-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7158267)
I'm the cook in our relationship. I HATE it when g'f uses a colinder, 3 different stir spoons, a veggie spinner, several more strainers, cooking forks and spoons, different eating forks and spoons, and guess who cleans the whole menagerie up?
I spend an hour a day cleaning up after my woman invades my kitchen and uses all her various accessories that I don't deem necessary.
Waste clutter my life.

woah, "your" kitchen? i thought you were homeless or lived with you gf's father or something.

LeeD 01-24-2013 10:47 AM

It's my kitchen because I'm the cook on every meal.
Yes, I'm otherwise homeless.
G/f's father lives in PuertoRico.
I also drive g/f to work 4 days a week, and pick her up at work 5 days a week.
And yes, I'm her gardener and sheetrock worker.

2ManyAces 01-24-2013 10:50 AM

I don't think variety is overrated. I think it's a good option to have.

you just need to learn when and where to use your skill.

BevelDevil 01-24-2013 10:53 AM

Jessie was the star of Predator! Just like Stan was the star of the AO. And both met the same fate.

LeeD 01-24-2013 10:55 AM

Yes, Ventura was really cool!
In reality, a big guy needs much more food, and double the water of a little guy in stress situations, like the jungle. Nobody really carried more than a couple of snacks. What did they eat? And where did they get their liquids?
I know, it's a dollywood movie.

President 01-24-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7158267)
Waste clutter my life.

Isn't it your gf's house though? I seem to remember you posting that. Can't make the rules if she is paying your rent :)

LeeD 01-24-2013 11:25 AM

Was I making the rules?
Or was I complaining about the state of existence?

North 01-24-2013 11:45 AM

I think people underestimate how effective variety can be but overestimate how easy it is to get good at mastering and using variety.

TomT 01-24-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7158127)
Well, I think it was Chrissie's comment, from the voice. She was talking about how Sloane has more variety then Azzy, but how more variety means more things can go wrong (and how Azzy does a few things only and does it very well).

If you look at Djokovic/Nadal vs Federer, do you think Fed's so-called variety is a liability or a strength?

Variety is the spice of life. Structured and sufficiently practiced variety provides a plethora * of ways to f - up opponent's game, and presents opponent with fewer strategic options.

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QI8nj6PSPI

LuckyR 01-24-2013 02:40 PM

As far as tennis is concernd (as opposed to taking out invisible, well armed aliens), winning is about consistency. For most mortals it is easier to have high consistency with a few strokes. Fed is the exception. Barring him, variety may make you competitive in more matches, but you may win fewer overall than if you were more consistent with fewer strokes. Of course this supposes that you played a wide variety of styles, but the reality of Modern tennis is that you are likely to run into fewer, not more types of players.