Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Why is women's tennis given so much coverage compared to other women's sports? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452292)

Claudius 01-24-2013 10:55 AM

Why is women's tennis given so much coverage compared to other women's sports?
 
Seriously, does WNBA, women's soccer, or golf get the same amount of coverage as women's tennis? Why are networks obligated to give them almost equal airtime as men's tennis?

Mustard 01-24-2013 11:00 AM

Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs :)

LeeD 01-24-2013 11:02 AM

The average TV audience is very interested in return of serves shots from behind the WTA women.

TennisCJC 01-24-2013 11:27 AM

I do pay a lot of attention to the WTA ready stances as LeeD says but I think we get lots of WTA on TV because 1. American women are doing better than American men, and 2. American women buy lots of tennis gear they see on TV. Comes down to showing the American players and advertising.

So, we get to see Serana beating someone 6-0, 6-1 instead of a close 5 set ATP match.

jm1980 01-24-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCJC (Post 7158525)
So, we get to see Serana beating someone 6-0, 6-1 instead of a close 5 set ATP match.

Who is this Serana chick?

Arafel 01-24-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claudius (Post 7158418)
Seriously, does WNBA, women's soccer, or golf get the same amount of coverage as women's tennis? Why are networks obligated to give them almost equal airtime as men's tennis?

I might see your point re the WNBA, but women's soccer does get a lot of coverage, equal to, if not more, than the American men, and when they are playing, they are broadcast on ESPN live.

Yes, I am woman, but I follow the women's national soccer team religiously. I know a lot of the players names. When they actually come to Denver to play friendlies, I get great tickets. The women sold out Dick's Sporting Goods field for a friendly here in I think September against the Irish. For reference, the MLS Rapids don't sell out that field, which holds close to 20,000. A lot of people know who Abby Wambach, Hope Solo, Megan Rapinoe, Alex Morgan, Christie Rampone, Carli Lloyd, and Heather O'Reilly are. When it comes to the men, the only one I can name off the top of my head is Landon Donovan. Those women almost gave me heart failure in the 2011 World Cup and the 2012 Olympics. Watching the game against Canada and Alex Morgan's header in extra time on a stream at the office, I thought I was going to die.

Regarding men's and women's tennis, it's about star power. the broadcasts and stations want to get the average fan to watch. Do you think the average sports fan knows anybody beyond Federer, Nadal, and maybe Djokovic and Murray? With the women, most know Serena, Venus, and Sharapova.

Yes, sometimes I wish they wouldn't become the Serena channel during the Slams, especially if there is a close five setter going on between some lower-ranked men, but it is what it is.

nikdom 01-24-2013 12:06 PM

The slams feature men and women. So no matter what you're into the sport for, you get coverage for both genders.

cork_screw 01-24-2013 12:21 PM

Because women's tennis they are just really really bad. And in other sports they are really really really really bad.

Would you sit and waste 2 hours out of you day to watch 2 hours of layups? Or would you sit to rather watch sharapova in a tight sports skirt sweaty.

I'm sure if there was a sports where women in lingerie, that sport would get more coverage than women's tennis. But women's tennis isn't really based on athletic ability, but more on tans and hot outfits.

*Sparkle* 01-24-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikdom (Post 7158661)
The slams feature men and women. So no matter what you're into the sport for, you get coverage for both genders.

This.

The broadcasters might favour showing men only sports most of the time, but when they cover a big event, they can't get away with showing the men only matches/races. Hence the Olympics being about the only place where women athletes get attention in the British media, other than tennis.

Also, women tennis players are generally attractive to newspapers. There are just enough star names, it's a glamarous, big money sport, and they are physically appealing to the photo editors.

TERRASTAR18 01-24-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arafel (Post 7158650)
I might see your point re the WNBA, but women's soccer does get a lot of coverage, equal to, if not more, than the American men, and when they are playing, they are broadcast on ESPN live.

Yes, I am woman, but I follow the women's national soccer team religiously. I know a lot of the players names. When they actually come to Denver to play friendlies, I get great tickets. The women sold out Dick's Sporting Goods field for a friendly here in I think September against the Irish. For reference, the MLS Rapids don't sell out that field, which holds close to 20,000. A lot of people know who Abby Wambach, Hope Solo, Megan Rapinoe, Alex Morgan, Christie Rampone, Carli Lloyd, and Heather O'Reilly are. When it comes to the men, the only one I can name off the top of my head is Landon Donovan. Those women almost gave me heart failure in the 2011 World Cup and the 2012 Olympics. Watching the game against Canada and Alex Morgan's header in extra time on a stream at the office, I thought I was going to die.

Regarding men's and women's tennis, it's about star power. the broadcasts and stations want to get the average fan to watch. Do you think the average sports fan knows anybody beyond Federer, Nadal, and maybe Djokovic and Murray? With the women, most know Serena, Venus, and Sharapova.

Yes, sometimes I wish they wouldn't become the Serena channel during the Slams, especially if there is a close five setter going on between some lower-ranked men, but it is what it is.

it 's a capitalist society and serena makes money.

nikdom 01-24-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TERRASTAR18 (Post 7158834)
it 's a capitalist society and serena makes money.

By that logic, shouldn't Serena (and her fans) also not accept Sharapova's greater commercial success off court for being nothing more than a slim, blonde Russian with an American accent!

But I don't think the Williams sisters (or even many of their fans) can get over the fact that born-and-raised Americans can't compete with a Russian import in their own country for sponsorship dollars.

LuckyR 01-24-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cork_screw (Post 7158699)
Because women's tennis they are just really really bad. And in other sports they are really really really really bad.

Would you sit and waste 2 hours out of you day to watch 2 hours of layups? Or would you sit to rather watch sharapova in a tight sports skirt sweaty.

I'm sure if there was a sports where women in lingerie, that sport would get more coverage than women's tennis. But women's tennis isn't really based on athletic ability, but more on tans and hot outfits.

You don't seem to grasp who the target audience is of the WTA.

The simple answer to the OP is: That's what brings in the most money to the Network.

adidasman 01-24-2013 01:23 PM

Because women's tennis makes money. Lots of it. And that's mainly because it has marketable, attractive stars. How many WNBA players or women's soccer stars do you see selling products? Exactly. None. The question is foolish - it's always about money for the networks. Always.

SLD76 01-24-2013 01:57 PM

I think that its because, the drop off in quality compared to the men's game isnt as drastic as say ladies soccer and basketball and softball compared to men's soccer, basketball and baseball.

No, im not saying the quality is the same, but Im saying its still a display of skill.

Also, tennis has a longer history of having a female counterpart to the men's game.

xanctus 01-24-2013 02:32 PM

Because girls who can play tennis is HOT and sexy! But I would love to see more of beach volley balls, regular volley and netballs coverage. Hot stuffs!
Hockey girls can be hot the problem is they have to wear mouth guard that make them look silly. :D

President 01-24-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLD76 (Post 7159002)
I think that its because, the drop off in quality compared to the men's game isnt as drastic as say ladies soccer and basketball and softball compared to men's soccer, basketball and baseball.

No, im not saying the quality is the same, but Im saying its still a display of skill.

Also, tennis has a longer history of having a female counterpart to the men's game.

Actually I think women's soccer might be more popular than men's soccer in the US, I think its a historical thing more than to do with quality. I'd say there's a pretty massive drop off in quality between WTA and ATP...

wrxinsc 01-24-2013 02:37 PM

because there isn't a national football league with hot women playing in scantily clad clothing. tm yet

THUNDERVOLLEY 01-24-2013 02:39 PM

OP: Unlike other sports where women participate, women's tennis stars count among their number some of the biggest sports stars in the world, so there's no comparison between the WTA and other women's sports groups.

Arafel 01-24-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THUNDERVOLLEY (Post 7159173)
OP: Unlike other sports where women participate, women's tennis stars count among their number some of the biggest sports stars in the world, so there's no comparison between the WTA and other women's sports groups.

Hope Solo and Abby Wambach might have something to say about that :)

TTMR 01-24-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxinsc (Post 7159168)
because there isn't a national football league with hot women playing in scantily clad clothing. tm yet

There is. 10 characters.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse