Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Ceramic Destiny makeover (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452343)

Steve Huff 01-24-2013 07:21 PM

Ceramic Destiny makeover

Bought a Ceramic Destiny, 4 5/8 grip, but the butt cap was all chewed up, and the injected fibermold was chewed up also. So, I took a chisel and removed all the injection molded fiber down to the hair pin. I removed 1.1 oz of lead that was in the handle. What a pain. Kick Serve Tennis sold me some old PK pallets which I sanded out so they would fit the hairpin. Well, almost fit. I had about a milimeter gap on the top and bottom of the handle. Jerry Keating gave me the idea to use a 1/2 size shrink sleeve to pull it all together, which I did. I used a little rubber cement under the pallets to hold them in place + to dampen out some vibration. Then, I put a Wilson butt cap on the end--one with a trap door. I used the bumperguard/grommets from a PK Type S, which gave it a maroon and black look, much better than the maroon and white (especially since all the white grommets I had that were for that model were kind of yellow by now. I used a Dunlop HydraMax Sport grip with a white Wilson Pro overgrip. I made everything long enough for my 2-handed backhand. I strung it with Alpha Gut 2000. Now, I still need to weight and balance it to match my ki 5s if possible. It might be just a little too head heavy to do this, but I'll get close. It's 11.2 oz now, and I'm shooting for 11.5oz. Most will go in the handle, hence the trap door. Looks promising. A Ceramic Destiny that weighs 11.7 oz instead of 12.7 oz. Plus, I now have a 4 1/2 grip, which I wanted.

joe sch 01-24-2013 07:34 PM

Nice work Steve ... sounds like you got pretty creative with a little help from some friends. Would like to see a picture. Thanks for sharing !

Captain Haddock 01-25-2013 04:52 AM

Great work, and a great racquet from the past (nice power, yet good flex in the shaft, cool red/maroon cosmetics). I've always liked the Destiny series, which was very well engineered, and probably was the best widebody design of the 80s. In fact, I'm tinkering with a few Destiny Advance 290 FCS myself. They're a bit light in stock form, but with a grip enlarging sleeve (full size, 16 oz.) and a little lead at 3 and 9, they feel like the old Destinys, albeit a little lighter. Interesting that use Alpha Gut 2000 as well, since that's what I put in mine also. Let's keep the Destiny alive! (sounds like a weird new-agey slogan).

Steve Huff 01-25-2013 08:44 PM

Today, I put 0.1 oz of rubber cement in the handle and 0.2 oz of lead at 2 and 10 to bring the static wt up to 11.5oz (strung, overgrip, worm dampener). I'm going to try it at this wt, although I may end up putting 0.2 oz of wt more. I want to see where it may need to go first.

Steve Huff 01-26-2013 05:11 PM

The Type S grommets fit fine. The Type S was 100 sq in and the Destiny says its a 95. Ok, so one was wrong. Thanks heavens.