Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Strung my first racquet last night! But some questions... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452384)

mr_fro2000 01-25-2013 04:47 AM

Strung my first racquet last night! But some questions...

Hi everyone so after 3 grueling hrs, finally did my first job last night. But after the ordeal I have some question maybe you experts can help with! Just as an fyi, I'm using a gamma x-2

1) how firmly should the clamps hold the strings? It was not until I was at the most narrow setting that the strings would 'slip'... and I was using 16 gauge synthetic gut!

2) is it possible that the klipper string pattern guide is not fully accurate? I strung a 110, 16/19 as a 2 piece... the klipper guide stated that i tie my main off at 'T' (top) when clearly the last weave was at the bottom?

3) there is quite a bit of non-tensioned string between the clamp and a stringing tie-off spot. doesn't this slack cause the strings to lose tension?

4) tightening knots = very difficult... on one tie, i semi-mangled the string. any tips? The yulite video didn't really help much i thought =(

Thanks!

Irvin 01-25-2013 05:09 AM

1 Clean clamps don't slip much. Dirty clamps slip a lot. So make sure your clamps are always clean first and foremost. I like to take a clamp and clamp a loop of string then pull 60 lbs of tension on the string and adjust the clamp to where it just does not slip. Then get the feel of how much pressure it takes to close the clamp.

2 It is possible any instructions could be wrong. Figure out what you are doing and depend on how to string not instructions someone else uses to at track you to their website or service. Where ever the mains end then are usually two tie off grommet holes on each side of the racket. Identify both usually one is on a main and the other on a cross then there is not problem figuring out which one is for which. When they are both on a main tie the mains off at the one closest to the last main you tensioned.

T = Top or Throat B = Bottom H = Head

3 Yes it is caused drawback

4 I like to use a starting clamp to tie knot and have started using a VS Starting knot for all my knots. If you do not have a starting clamp you could wrap the string around anything (like a dowel.) when tying knots do not under any circumstances use a double half hitch, most people don't even know how to tie it. YULitle's video on how to tie a DHH is a perfect example of how not to tie a DHH. When you cinch up what ever knot you use pull firmly but not too hard. Then complete the second portion of you knot with a little less pressure. Before you remove your clamp hold pressure on the tail of the knot and keep that pressure on until the clamp is off then trim your tail.

Good luck and with practice it will come much easier.

Rabbit 01-25-2013 06:05 AM

1) You're using floating/flying clamps. Are they slipping or is it just they twist some when you take tension off the string? This is normal for flying clamps.

mr_fro2000 01-25-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 7163210)
1) You're using floating/flying clamps. Are they slipping or is it just they twist some when you take tension off the string? This is normal for flying clamps.

They were actually slipping. So I kept removing and turning the dial until it stopped.

Irvin 01-25-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_fro2000 (Post 7163390)
They were actually slipping. So I kept removing and turning the dial until it stopped.

Now think about what that did to your string. Each time the string slip in the clamp it eats into the string. Best to have your clamps adjusted right before you start so you don't damage the string while stringing. Like I said it takes practice to get the feel of the right pressure so your string doesn't slip and isn't crushed. Make sure your clamps are clean.

mr_fro2000 01-25-2013 12:30 PM

thx for the tips irvin... ill give that a go w/ the clamps. BTW ur vids are invaluable!

mr_fro2000 01-28-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7163771)
Now think about what that did to your string. Each time the string slip in the clamp it eats into the string. Best to have your clamps adjusted right before you start so you don't damage the string while stringing. Like I said it takes practice to get the feel of the right pressure so your string doesn't slip and isn't crushed. Make sure your clamps are clean.

ok so i pre-adjusted the clamps before trying my 2nd racquet. Cleaned the clamps with alcohol. basically i got the clamping to a point where the strings did not slip... however, the "texture" of the clamps left marks on the strings. They are not visible, but if you run the strings between your fingers, you can feel the texture that the clamps left. Is this ok? Just fyi, the strings I've been using are some cheap 16 gauge synthetic gut that came with machine.

Is this normal?

Irvin 01-28-2013 02:23 PM

There will be some crushing of the string but usually not noticeable except for ghosting. Not sure i have ever tried to feel the string. As long as the string does not slip in the clamp you should be fine.

mr_fro2000 01-28-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7175603)
There will be some crushing of the string but usually not noticeable except for ghosting. Not sure i have ever tried to feel the string. As long as the string does not slip in the clamp you should be fine.

Thx Irvin!