Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Incredible Mental Strength By Murray (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452424)

winstonplum 01-25-2013 08:24 AM

Incredible Mental Strength By Murray
 
He truly deserves that win. After getting super tight in the second and the fourth, he found a way to power through and get the win. I think Sunday will be a war. I think it will come down to 10-12 key points and who can execute the best under extreme pressure. I really didn't think Murray had it in him to beat Fed last night. Very impressive.

xan 01-25-2013 09:04 AM

all credit to Murray, but incredible mental strength? I don't agree.
whenever it got close, where you needed to bring your A game Murray was trailing behind.
first tie break? Murray lost it.
serving for the match? Murray gets broken.
second tie break? Murray loses it again.

so once again, credit where credit is due but his great serving day and reasonable consistency is what allowed him to prevail today, not his mental strength.

tennisenthusiast 01-25-2013 09:10 AM

It was not due to Andy's incredible mental strength but due to Roger's inevitable physical drain.

axel89 01-25-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xan (Post 7163889)
all credit to Murray, but incredible mental strength? I don't agree.
whenever it got close, where you needed to bring your A game Murray was trailing behind.
first tie break? Murray lost it.
serving for the match? Murray gets broken.
second tie break? Murray loses it again.

so once again, credit where credit is due but his great serving day and reasonable consistency is what allowed him to prevail today, not his mental strength.

you moron get your facts right was 4th set tiebreak fed won

World Beater 01-25-2013 09:36 AM

Ummm.

I dont think murray "let" fed win or that he choked.

Federer dug deep and pushed muray to make some mistakes..he also hit some great shots.

kaku 01-25-2013 09:37 AM

Incredible may be a stretch but I've never seen him bounce back after losing two tough sets like that. A year ago he would have lost in 4

cucio 01-25-2013 09:47 AM

Heroic Heart of Haggis, he has.

Day Tripper 01-25-2013 09:52 AM

Things I observed from last night's match..

1. Murray's serve has improved out of this world.
2. The gradual slowing of the Aust open court surface has seen the Aust open go from my favorite to least favorite slam to watch.
3. Djokovic will win the Aust open in 3 sets.

zam88 01-25-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Day Tripper (Post 7164091)
Things I observed from last night's match..

1. Murray's serve has improved out of this world.
2. The gradual slowing of the Aust open court surface has seen the Aust open go from my favorite to least favorite slam to watch.
3. Djokovic will win the Aust open in 3 sets.

1) yes, probably the primary reason he won the match... in addition Federer didn't have his A service game.

2) French is still my least favorite. Although aussie is close due to time issues... i really don't watch much of the tournament. I've watched about the equivalent of 3 full matches.. i'll watch the replay of the final, maybe.

3) really? definitely could happen, but i suspect murray grabs A set at a minimum. Unless fatigue is a factor, the guy is playing damn good... remember the Djoker that played Stan could show up too

xan 01-25-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axel89 (Post 7163915)
you moron get your facts right was 4th set tiebreak fed won

6-4, 6-7(1st tiebreak), 6-3, 6-7(2nd tiebreak), 6-2

now, did you even watch the match? or you just enjoy acting like a ****** for the **** of it?

BreakPoint 01-25-2013 11:13 AM

Murray played incredibly well last night. I've never seen him play this well before. He was serving lights out, huge first serves with tons of pace and placement, and he didn't hit a single double fault in 5 sets! Truly amazing! He also just wasn't missing at all from the back of the court. He could rally all day long and never miss. That really frustrated Federer who expects his opponents to eventually make some errors during rallies, like hit the ball long, wide, or into the net. Murray wasn't doing any of that. He was just pounding from the baseline all day long without missing. He was just way too good last night. This, combined with Federer's poor serving and movement (perhaps from his bad back, as he had that undershirt on from the very start of the match?), and his poor decision making at times (maybe too much pressure from Murray never missing?), and Federer never really had a chance in this match.

Kudos to Murray for playing almost a perfect match and getting his first win against Federer in a Slam.

BreakPoint 01-25-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisenthusiast (Post 7163911)
It was not due to Andy's incredible mental strength but due to Roger's inevitable physical drain.

I'd say it was due to both.

Gonzo_style 01-25-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7164361)
Murray played incredibly well last night. I've never seen him play this well before. He was serving lights out, huge first serves with tons of pace and placement, and he didn't hit a single double fault in 5 sets! Truly amazing! He also just wasn't missing at all from the back of the court. He could rally all day long and never miss. That really frustrated Federer who expects his opponents to eventually make some errors during rallies, like hit the ball long, wide, or into the net. Murray wasn't doing any of that. He was just pounding from the baseline all day long without missing. He was just way too good last night. This, combined with Federer's poor serving and movement (perhaps from his bad back, as he had that undershirt on from the very start of the match?), and his poor decision making at times (maybe too much pressure from Murray never missing?), and Federer never really had a chance in this match.

Kudos to Murray for playing almost a perfect match and getting his first win against Federer in a Slam.

same post 3x

veroniquem 01-25-2013 11:22 AM

Incredible mental strength? After choking away 2 sets? (He should have taken the 2nd, then the 4th) Let's not get carried away here. It was always a given he would be fresher physically in the 5th. That's not exactly the same as mental toughness on high pressure points.

ETA: I have to say his stamina has improved (not the same as mental toughness) probably due to Lendl's fitness programme. In both USO final and AO semi, he had plenty left for the 5th after a complicated match. That's what's impressive to me.

Fedex 01-25-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7164361)
Murray played incredibly well last night. I've never seen him play this well before.

Remember Murray vs Roddick at Queens a few years back?

winstonplum 01-25-2013 12:31 PM

The "incredible mental strength" I'm referring to is after tightening up like crazy in the first TB, he came right out strong in the third set. And then at the end of the fourth, serving for the match, feeling like he was getting jammed up with challenges, Fed yelling something at him, and then losing the set meekly; after all that he came out like gangbusters in the fifth. That's incredible mental strength. Ask Stosur and Amalgro how not winning the match when they were serving for it went.

Part of mental strength, IMO, is when the match doesn't end when you want it to, feel it should, need it to, are praying that it will, and to be able to shake it off and win the next game or the next set. Luckily, because of Murray's fabulous serving he always had a one set cushion.

BreakPoint 01-25-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo_style (Post 7164389)
same post 3x

Which means I should post it a few more times. :)

BreakPoint 01-25-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedex (Post 7164611)
Remember Murray vs Roddick at Queens a few years back?

But that wasn't a Slam. And the points end quickly on the fast grass at Queens. Last night, Murray seemed to be able to rally with Federer and never miss. So much so that I cringed every time they got into a rally because I knew the likelihood was that Murray was going to win the point. He was solid as a rock from the back of the court. His consistency was out of this world. That, combined with his awesome serving, and Federer never had a chance.

President 01-25-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7164704)
But that wasn't a Slam. And the points end quickly on the fast grass at Queens. Last night, Murray seemed to be able to rally with Federer and never miss. So much so that I cringed every time they got into a rally because I knew the likelihood was that Murray was going to win the point. He was solid as a rock from the back of the court. His consistency was out of this world. That, combined with his awesome serving, and Federer never had a chance.

All this, despite Murray having an "inferior" 2 handed backhand and playing with a wrong sized racquet? :)

Bobby Jr 01-25-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axel89 (Post 7163915)
you moron get your facts right was 4th set tiebreak fed won

I think you best learn to read before you start calling people morons. His post was crystal clear.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse