Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   I'm moving, which is the best tennis city-austin, san antonio, reno, boise, portland (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452493)

rafafan20 01-25-2013 02:25 PM

I'm moving, which is the best tennis city-austin, san antonio, reno, boise, portland

I am moving this summer to a new city and wondered which of these cities has the most active tennis community? For other purposes I prefer San Antonio or Austin but I'd love any and all insight!

gavna 01-26-2013 05:21 AM

San Antonio and Austin both very strong......Boise, Reno and Portland smaller and I would much rather spend my time there skiing!!!!!!

Austin now with some huge suburban areas and solid leagues - San Antonio has one of the best public tennis centers and a great tennis shop (which is saying a lot these days). Main issue it's cheaper to live in San Antonio and you don't have to deal with all the burnt orange and teasips:)

rafafan20 01-27-2013 10:59 AM

Thanks for the advice, not much of a skier (or a winter person). Love kayaking/outdoor stuff (hence tahoe area)

dunlop_fort_knox 01-27-2013 11:10 AM

reno is supposed to be Windy!

chollyred 01-30-2013 07:49 AM

Any particular reasons for Texas?

How about Atlanta? Around 150,000 players. ALTA, USTA, T2, Peach, Ultimate Tennis, and various local leagues playing year round.

Lots of other nearby activities too! Whitewater activities, hiking, mountains, within a few short hours of several beaches.

Starting to sound like the Chamber of Commerce here... :)

gavna 01-30-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chollyred (Post 7179694)
Any particular reasons for Texas?

How about Atlanta? Around 150,000 players. ALTA, USTA, T2, Peach, Ultimate Tennis, and various local leagues playing year round.

Lots of other nearby activities too! Whitewater activities, hiking, mountains, within a few short hours of several beaches.

Starting to sound like the Chamber of Commerce here... :)

Ummmmm Jobs? weather? :)

No the Atlanta Tennis scene is freaking second to no one! I split my time between Texas and Europe and would kill to have in Texas what Atlanta has with the ATA:)

But really the BBQ in Atlanta does suck.

El Diablo 01-30-2013 05:27 PM

^^ at least it's not beef!

chollyred 01-31-2013 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7180662)
Ummmmm Jobs? weather? :)

No the Atlanta Tennis scene is freaking second to no one! I split my time between Texas and Europe and would kill to have in Texas what Atlanta has with the ATA:)

But really the BBQ in Atlanta does suck.

Man! You just ain't been to the right hole-in-the-walls!!!
And yeah, pork rules! Beef is for steaks, not BBQ sauce.

rafafan20 01-31-2013 06:47 AM

Cant do atl move is job related

gavna 01-31-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chollyred (Post 7181713)
Man! You just ain't been to the right hole-in-the-walls!!!
And yeah, pork rules! Beef is for steaks, not BBQ sauce.

Hahaha

Pork = Ribs
Brisket = BBQ!!!!!!

Just teasing......pulled pork good but the yellow vinegar based sauce not so much!

LuckyR 01-31-2013 10:41 AM

Portland is a great overall city, a reasonable tennis city (not top tier). But remember the advice: make sure to bring your own job.

ellipticality_224 01-31-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7182015)
Hahaha

Pork = Ribs
Brisket = BBQ!!!!!!

Just teasing......pulled pork good but the yellow vinegar based sauce not so much!

Are you referring to south carolina bbq sauce? If so, thats a mustard base sauce.

gavna 01-31-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellipticality_224 (Post 7182611)
Are you referring to south carolina bbq sauce? If so, thats a mustard base sauce.

Yes sorry the Yellow tart stuff.......mustard, thought it had some vinegar as well......

Hell if the meat is done right you don't need sauce:)

You have some amazing places on the BBQ trail (yes there is such an insane thing through central Texas) where the meat is so good they don't serve sauce - no need.

Rattler 01-31-2013 04:41 PM

San Antonio and Austin are both very vibrant...lots of leagues, lots of high level tourament play...if your a 4.0, 4.5, or Open level player then both cities have a lot to offer. San Antonio is much cheaper and First Serve tennis shop is first rate.

Besides either way you'll run into me at a tournament, not as a player but as an umpire

rodrigoamaral 01-31-2013 05:14 PM

San Antonio and Austin FTW!!

atatu 02-09-2013 09:50 AM

For tennis I'd say San Antonio might be better, there just aren't enough courts in Austin, in my opinion. For quality of life, I'd have to say Austin is a little better, although it is true than San Antonio is very cheap.

AlfaAce 02-09-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafafan20 (Post 7172015)
Thanks for the advice, not much of a skier (or a winter person). Love kayaking/outdoor stuff (hence tahoe area)

Then strike Portland off your list... unless you LOVE: rain at 43 degrees, skiing, playing tennis indoors 6 months out of the year, beer and coffee.

gavna 02-12-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattler (Post 7183183)
San Antonio and Austin are both very vibrant...lots of leagues, lots of high level tourament play...if your a 4.0, 4.5, or Open level player then both cities have a lot to offer. San Antonio is much cheaper and First Serve tennis shop is first rate.

Besides either way you'll run into me at a tournament, not as a player but as an umpire

Gotta support the local tennis shop.......First Serve awesome.....Richard great guy and one of the best stringers in the state (he strung at RG a few years ago and part of the Tecnifibre team).

Again moving to the area can't really go wrong - San Antone just much much cheaper - both cities in the middle of the Hill Country so outdoor sports huge.

drewski711 02-14-2013 12:33 PM

Reno is a great town but I wouldn't say it has the strongest tennis community. There aren't a lot of great public courts- most of the serious players will sign up at one of the private places. We do get use to playing in some serious wind too!

marosmith 03-01-2013 10:07 PM

The Portland area has a decent amount of players but clubs are sorely lacking, very little indoor court time available given the amount of players.

Summer here, however, is better than any place on earth. (Our little secret)