Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   need help to reduce rotation drag of my turntable on gamma 602fc (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452500)

taurussable 01-25-2013 02:33 PM

need help to reduce rotation drag of my turntable on gamma 602fc
 
I strung about 10 racquets on my 602fc since I bought it June last year new. The friction of the center post of the turntable has come to a point that I feel I can't stand it anymore. so I pulled out the turntable, put some grease accumulated at the bottom of the post back to the turntable bushing. It didn't help. The weight of the machine itself can't stop the base from moving when I rotate the turntable. I already took out the set screw that is used to increase friction.

I'd like to know if other gamma 602fc users have similar experiences. Or does anyone know any magic grease that can reduce the drag on my machine?

reference:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444168

Lakers4Life 01-25-2013 02:45 PM

What kinda of grease are you using? I would recomend a lithium based grease or Teflon (PTFE) grease. There is Teflon based grease called, Grease Lightining, that can be found at most bike shops or REI.

taurussable 01-25-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7165060)
What kinda of grease are you using? I would recomend a lithium based grease or Teflon (PTFE) grease. There is Teflon based grease called, Grease Lightining, that can be found at most bike shops or REI.

some grease accumulated at the bottom of the center post. it came with the machine out of factory. I put it back into the bushing but no help. it seems too viscous. I'll try ur stuff. I assume I need clean the bushing and center post thoroughly before using a new grease?

Lakers4Life 01-25-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taurussable (Post 7165075)
some grease accumulated at the bottom of the center post. it came with the machine out of factory. I put it back into the bushing but no help. it seems too viscous. I'll try ur stuff. I assume I need clean the bushing and center post thoroughly before using a new grease?

Wipe off the old grease and clean with Alcohol. Then lightly coat the post and the bushing with the Teflon grease.

diredesire 01-25-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taurussable (Post 7165031)
I strung about 10 racquets on my 602fc since I bought it June last year new. The friction of the center post of the turntable has come to a point that I feel I can't stand it anymore. so I pulled out the turntable, put some grease accumulated at the bottom of the post back to the turntable bushing. It didn't help. The weight of the machine itself can't stop the base from moving when I rotate the turntable. I already took out the set screw that is used to increase friction.

I'd like to know if other gamma 602fc users have similar experiences. Or does anyone know any magic grease that can reduce the drag on my machine?

reference:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444168

Wait... do you want to INCREASE or decrease the drag? It sounds like from "can't stop the base from moving" that you want to increase drag. If so, you should be using a heavy grease, I hear kilopoise is a good one. I haven't tried this myself, but I actually find my 5800 to rotate too freely. I actually have to lock my turn table down to keep weaving at a reasonable pace. The older Gamma machines didn't have this issue...

taurussable 01-25-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7165079)
Wipe off the old grease and clean with Alcohol. Then lightly coat the post and the bushing with the Teflon grease.

Sounds good! Thanks!

taurussable 01-25-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire (Post 7165081)
Wait... do you want to INCREASE or decrease the drag? It sounds like from "can't stop the base from moving" that you want to increase drag. If so, you should be using a heavy grease, I hear kilopoise is a good one. I haven't tried this myself, but I actually find my 5800 to rotate too freely. I actually have to lock my turn table down to keep weaving at a reasonable pace. The older Gamma machines didn't have this issue...

decrease... the friction is so much now that I can't even let the turntable rotate without moving the base of the machine. basically the feet of the machine moves before the turntable starts to rotate..

Lakers4Life 01-25-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taurussable (Post 7165084)
decrease... the friction is so much now that I can't even let the turntable rotate without moving the base of the machine. basically the feet of the machine moves before the turntable starts to rotate..

That sounds like something is binding. Possibly a factory defect. I had a X-6FC and it turned easily.

taurussable 01-25-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7165093)
That sounds like something is binding. Possibly a factory defect. I had a X-6FC and it turned easily.

the center post and the bushing look fine to me. they are pasticky though. the friction is greatest at a certain angle and locks up. I guess the shaft and the bushing are not round enough. well I can't expect too much from a $500 machine. hopefully a good lube fixes it.

Faithfulfather 01-25-2013 04:09 PM

There is an adjustment screw on the turntable shaft. Maybe it is too tight.

taurussable 01-25-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faithfulfather (Post 7165259)
There is an adjustment screw on the turntable shaft. Maybe it is too tight.

i already took out the screw..

diredesire 01-25-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taurussable (Post 7165266)
i already took out the screw..

sounds like you should take it apart and post pics. also shoot an e-mail to cad@gammasports.com to get John in this thread. I'd send him a link if i were you :)

taurussable 01-25-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire (Post 7165451)
sounds like you should take it apart and post pics. also shoot an e-mail to cad@gammasports.com to get John in this thread. I'd send him a link if i were you :)


video showing stringer moves when I push my turntable, too much friction

http://youtu.be/XqLpugYUSyA

pictures of center post and bushing




If you guys think the level of friction is not normal, I'll ask John about it..

taurussable 01-25-2013 06:52 PM

the screw in the video is the set screw I took out. it's use is to increase friction. I took it out to minimize friction.

Faithfulfather 01-25-2013 07:03 PM


Faithfulfather 01-25-2013 07:04 PM

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...F3A8A940E3.mp4

My X-6FC turns much easier. It still has the set screw installed.

taurussable 01-25-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faithfulfather (Post 7165617)
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...F3A8A940E3.mp4

My X-6FC turns much easier. It still has the set screw installed.

yours definitely looks much nicer:)

Lakers4Life 01-25-2013 07:14 PM

Something is definitely snagging. If this is a new machine it's still under warranty. I would replace the bushing and the post just to be sure.

Does the post hit the table?

The clamps look like the old black plastic clamps. Is this a new machine?

taurussable 01-25-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7165637)
Something is definitely snagging. If this is a new machine it's still under warranty. I would replace the bushing and the post just to be sure.

Does the post hit the table?

you mean the center post? no. it is an inch away from the table. will ask gamma about it Thanks!

taurussable 01-25-2013 07:28 PM

filed service request here
http://www.gammasports.com/contact_s...ne_service.cfm
and
emailed
cad@gammasports.com about the situation and this thread.

Thank you all for helping!


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse