Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   High School Tryouts Rating System? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452512)

johndagolfer 01-25-2013 05:33 PM

High School Tryouts Rating System?

I am trying to put together a spreadsheet for the local high school girls' tennis coach.

In the past they way tryouts went is that she would just rate the girls on whether or not they could get the ball in the court for forehands/backhands/serves/etc. So what would happen is that most of the girls would patty cake the ball in. What I am trying to get this spreadsheet to reflect is the overall picture and not just whether the ball was in or out.

Based on that criteria what would you put into a rating system and what weight would you give each area.

An example would be:

Power 20%
Accuracy 40%
Consistency 40%

Thanks!

goran_ace 01-25-2013 06:37 PM

How many girls do you have trying out? We can talk about methodology and weighting all you want but at the end of the day the discussion is still purely academic. Why not keep notes on each individual girl: what each does well, what they need to work on.

Also, you don't have to limit it to strokes. Don't forget about things like work ethic, attitude, competitiveness, etc. Working with teenage girls is tough because they have such different personalities. Teenage boys generally are good at taking orders and will run through a brick wall if you tell them to, but with girls you have to know what style of coaching each individual responds best to.

johndagolfer 01-25-2013 07:08 PM

I am guessing 20+ for a max team of 12. We want to include items such as aggressiveness and competitiveness as other intangible items of the over all picture. But, since we are dealing with a wide range of ages we wanted to provide a need to improve list for the girls who do not make the team.

goran_ace 01-25-2013 07:18 PM

With that # of girls it shouldn't hard to just carry a notebook or legal pad and dedicate a page/half page for each girl and just write out your assessment.

The Meat 01-25-2013 07:52 PM

Is this for a seeding system? If it is whatever you do don't have playoffs between them(challenging higher seeds for their spots), you might get a situation where a good player is lower seeded because they lost to someone who had a better day. Playoffs might be a good idea to get a initial roster for your first match, but from thereout chose the girls who win more as higher seeds.

10s talk 01-26-2013 04:06 PM

Do short challenge matches, and a separate doubles evaluation. Let them earn a place on the team, on the court. There are plenty of players who look good, but cannot win a match.

johndagolfer 01-26-2013 04:29 PM

The coach does do quick 4 game matches to see how they play. But I also know that she wants a rating system so that we can work on things, especially for the younger non starters.

Based off of that would you say that my percentages above for strokes/serve/volley etc would be an ok rating scale?

10s talk 01-27-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndagolfer (Post 7168404)
The coach does do quick 4 game matches to see how they play. But I also know that she wants a rating system so that we can work on things, especially for the younger non starters.

Based off of that would you say that my percentages above for strokes/serve/volley etc would be an ok rating scale?

If the goal of the rating system is to determine strengths, and weakness,then rate each stroke / category separately . I wouldn't put a percentage on different areas of production. There are students who are great at the net, and are good doubles players. However, they could be to slow, or have average ground-strokes to be a good singles player..... and vice- versa (singles player with no net skills)

goran_ace 01-27-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10s talk (Post 7172172)
If the goal of the rating system is to determine strengths, and weakness,then rate each stroke / category separately . I wouldn't put a percentage on different areas of production.

I completely agree. I question the usefulness of creating a composite score for evaluation for use by either the coaches or the girls themselves. Why not just list each attribute separately and rate each one on a 1 to 5 scale.