Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Wise head question (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452526)

Steve Huff 01-25-2013 09:11 PM

Wise head question

has anyone taken off the sliding bar tension grippers and either roughed them up a bit or changed the angle they come together. My problem is that certain strings, like Prince Recoil and Pro Supex Maxim Touch start sliding toward the top of the gripper, and will pop out. I've cleaned them with alcohol. Apparently, they tighten from the bottom to the top, which forces the string upward in the gripper, to the point that the string sticks out just out of the gripper. A good cleaning allows about 10 pulls before I have to do it again. My 1st gen Wise doesn't do this. Don't know why my Gen 2 version does this.

Lakers4Life 01-25-2013 09:14 PM

Do you use the Diablo?

Irvin 01-26-2013 02:57 AM

I took mine apart and all that was needed was to clean them good. You can't get all the gunk out of the groves in the gripper very easy unless you take them apart. Not fun putting them back together. You could also put a starting clamp on the back of the gripper but that's a pain in the rear.

A diablo as long as it does not spin should offer a lot of help too. The first diablos that Wise came out with would turn though, if they tun they don't relieve the tension on the string in the gripper.

Dags 01-26-2013 06:12 AM

I had a problem with more delicate strings; I could never get the right balance between gripping tightly enough so that the string didn't slip, and too tightly so that the grooves on the gripper plates marred the string (physical marring, not just ghosting).

I now use a thin piece of card so the string never touches the gripper plates directly. This has worked very well, and has the added advantage that when I need to 'clean' the gripper I can just replace the card.

LttlElvis 01-26-2013 08:32 AM

I had the same problem. Took it apart, cleaned it, and it was still slipping or marring my gut strings. Added a diablo and was actually able to loosen the gripper and it was more gentle to the strings.

Steve Huff 01-26-2013 05:16 PM

I don't have the Diablo. May have to invest in one. Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have a Diablo on my Gen 1 either, and it works fine. I actually like my Gen 1 better. I like being able to adjust the gripper with the little knob on the gripper itself. Apparently some people thought that got in the way, so they removed it.

Lakers4Life 01-26-2013 06:21 PM

Steve, does your gripper have this adjustment?

You use an allen wrench to move the gripper adjustment screw.

You might want to call Herb Wise to see if he will sell you a diablo.

Steve Huff 01-27-2013 06:05 PM

Yes, there's a place to adjust how tight the gripper grips the string with an Allen wrench. I may have to get the Diablo though, at least for my Gen II. Thanks.

Lakers4Life 01-27-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Huff (Post 7173134)
Yes, there's a place to adjust how tight the gripper grips the string with an Allen wrench. I may have to get the Diablo though, at least for my Gen II. Thanks.

I don't know if you've seen my modifications to my 2086. I did not like the knob, so I use the diablo off my Gamma tensioner which has bearings. Though it does require tapping a thread in the Wise arm.

Faithfulfather 01-27-2013 07:13 PM

You can get a diablo from Wise. Lakers mod is awesome too.

LttlElvis 01-27-2013 08:06 PM

Lakers4life, nice new avatar, but go back to the old one. I don't recognize you now. ...... Or are you ashamed of your Lakers?

Lakers4Life 01-27-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LttlElvis (Post 7173432)
Lakers4life, nice new avatar, but go back to the old one. I don't recognize you now. ...... Or are you ashamed of your Lakers?

LOL! Who would not be ashamed of a team that is below .500. I'll put it back if I can find that avatar.

4sound 01-28-2013 07:33 AM

I had the same problem with some thinner gauge strings (like 18g kevlar) slipping through the gripper no matter how much I adjusted the screw.

Solution: I put a plastic gift card in the gripper with the string. No damage to string and always works.