Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Azarenka defends title, so will Djokovic? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452542)

FedererDropShot 01-26-2013 02:30 AM

Azarenka defends title, so will Djokovic?

As title says.

The greater defender will win.

Azarenka's defence was too much for Li.

So will Djokovic's defence be too much for Murray?

Yes, Murray's forehand is deadly. His backhand is compact. His 1st serve is strong. But they will be broken down if Novak is at his defensive best?

So what say you?

THUNDERVOLLEY 01-26-2013 02:54 AM

Murray has to keep Djokovic on the run, and exaust even ND's reserves. If Murray fails to do that as the framework of his strategy, Djokovic will win the final.

Ico 01-26-2013 03:04 AM

Maintaining the tournament's status as least interesting slam. Fear not, RG is still rudest and the USO is most poorly run.

Fiji 01-26-2013 03:06 AM

Hasn't happened in exactly 20 years that both female(Seles) and male(Courier) players defend the AO.

Telepatic 01-26-2013 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiji (Post 7166692)
Hasn't happened in exactly 20 years that both female(Seles) and male(Courier) players defend the AO.

When was the last time both male and female defend any slam? Maybe Henin and Nadal at RG?

Ico 01-26-2013 04:21 AM

I think it was Henin and Nadal winning RG in 06 and then 07. I had originally guessed Serena and Federer at the USO or Wimbledon, but Serena is surprisingly bad at defending titles.

Nostradamus 01-26-2013 05:34 AM

I think 3 titles in a row will be too much pressure on Novak. and the fact that Murray beat the GOAT to get there will be too much scare into Novak as well.

ark_28 01-26-2013 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 7166917)
I think 3 titles in a row will be too much pressure on Novak. and the fact that Murray beat the GOAT to get there will be too much scare into Novak as well.

Yeah that works because two of the times Novak won he thrashed Federer in straights so seeing someone beating an ageing and less good Federer in 5 is going to scare Novak?

Dude what are you smoking?

Blitzball 01-26-2013 06:21 AM

Murray needs to freely hit his forehands, meaning he cannot revert to his old habits while under pressure of pushing that ball in because his wrist starts tensing. His forehand, at its best, rivals some of the great forehands (but it's definitely not the best forehand of all time).

Also, if he can get some free points off aces, well obviously that'll help but he'll need to serve wonders. Djokovic is such an incredible returner-- probably the best to ever live, but Murray's serve is extremely potent (not so much the 2nd serve). If his first serve is saving him some energy and demoralizing Novak, he should get the edge mentally and win just like he did at the USO.

Most importantly, Andy's gotta keep his nerves in check. He beat Federer, but he was shouting at himself too often. I hope Lendl speaks to him pre-match to advise him to stay calm and restrain himself. If he can do that and keep the fire burning, there's his 2nd major title.

veroniquem 01-26-2013 08:38 AM

Imo one has nothing to do with the other. Djoko's chances are exactly the same after Vika's win as they were before. And they would be exactly the same if Vika had lost.

NadalAgassi 01-26-2013 08:42 AM

There is no comparision between the 2 matchups. In this one Djokovic not only probably has the more spellbinding defense, but probably the more decisive offense too. It is not like Djokovic is this defensive pusher going up against Murray's monstrous game, lol! Murray is also an excellent defender, very consistent, and offensively quite capable, and probably has more variety than Djokovic, which still makes it a close matchup.

ark_28 01-26-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veroniquem (Post 7167291)
Imo one has nothing to do with the other. Djoko's chances are exactly the same after Vika's win as they were before. And they would be exactly the same if Vika had lost.

+1....... ::)

hedera 01-26-2013 08:46 AM

I really hope Andy wins! It would be really great for him but also for the rivalry among the Big 4 generally speaking.

kishnabe 01-26-2013 08:48 AM

Li choked the match....I hope Mandy doesn't do the same.

CCNM 01-26-2013 01:40 PM

So V. Azarenka (a.k.a. Sonarenka, the Battered Poodle, Screamin' Viki, insert your nickname for her here) repeated as champion? Well, good for her. Those of you who watched it did she pull any "time-out" tricks?

Clarky21 01-26-2013 01:48 PM

Yes he will.

veroniquem 01-26-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCNM (Post 7168129)
So V. Azarenka (a.k.a. Sonarenka, the Battered Poodle, Screamin' Viki, insert your nickname for her here) repeated as champion? Well, good for her. Those of you who watched it did she pull any "time-out" tricks?

No, but Li Na did :)

Tchocky 01-26-2013 02:49 PM

When was the last time that both men and women defended their title at the same tourney?

Moose Malloy 01-26-2013 08:11 PM

^Henin & Nadal('05 to '07 French Opens)

tennisconsultcom 01-27-2013 10:34 AM

I was disappointed watching the women’s final at Australia Open. It was too boring. Both players served like teens.Tennis world definitely needs fresh blood. Where are you new Henin and Graf? I miss those days when major’s final was a battle. Not like this dull one.