Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Head Graphene Speed MP-Stringing Suggestions (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452549)

YesTennis 01-26-2013 04:39 AM

Head Graphene Speed MP-Stringing Suggestions

Got a chance to play with the new Graphene Speed MP. Really nice specs and felt good to swing. The demo had full bed poly, and I noticed that I wasn't getting as much depth(balls landing shorter than usual). I don't usually play full bed poly. Was wondering about string suggestions from anyone who has played with this racquet. Was thinking about gut/poly. Thanks in advance.

parasailing 01-26-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YesTennis (Post 7166834)
Got a chance to play with the new Graphene Speed MP. Really nice specs and felt good to swing. The demo had full bed poly, and I noticed that I wasn't getting as much depth(balls landing shorter than usual). I don't usually play full bed poly. Was wondering about string suggestions from anyone who has played with this racquet. Was thinking about gut/poly. Thanks in advance.

This racquet even with a multi doesn't have much oomph. I think natural gut would help in a full setup but still not going to provide as much oomph as some of the heavier racquets. On the plus side, it's well balanced and easy to generate racquet speed.

SELFMADESOUL 01-26-2013 07:10 AM

I've haven't played with the new version of the Speed but think you are on the right track with a guy/poly hybrid at a lower tension- you will get the best of both worlds with power and spin. Also I would definitely add some lead to that racquet to help with the depth - but try the strings first and tweak from there.

YesTennis 01-26-2013 08:23 AM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I hit a one handed bh, so enjoy the thinner beamed racquets. Have also been thinking about the new Wilson Steam 99 (not the S version). I still want a racquet that is somewhat head light to be able to help with racquet head speed. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

parasailing 01-26-2013 04:05 PM

You are going to have to add some lead to the handle to get it more HL. I added about .2oz of lead to get it from 3pts HL to 5 or 6pts HL which help make it more whippy and increased racquet speed.

I am tempted to buy one and string it with full set of gut at a lower tension to increase power. It's just such an easy racquet to swing.

YesTennis 01-26-2013 04:57 PM

parasailing-thanks for your thoughts. Keep me posted. One other quick question-have you by chance tried the new Wilson Steam 99(not the S)? Any thoughts about this racquet?

parasailing 01-26-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YesTennis (Post 7168587)
parasailing-thanks for your thoughts. Keep me posted. One other quick question-have you by chance tried the new Wilson Steam 99(not the S)? Any thoughts about this racquet?

No I haven't tried the Steam 99 but I do have the Steam 99S which I found to be a very fun racquet to hit around with but it's not going to be my main racquet. I have been looking for a replacement for my PSTGT mainly due the sluggishness of serving with it but the other things, it's great.

The Graphene Speed MP is truly one of the most balanced racquet based on my TW demo. I think trying to find the eact string patttern will be the key.