Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Recommend stringing machine (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452572)

benxuan 01-26-2013 08:52 AM

Recommend stringing machine

Hello everyone,

any recommendation for stringing machine? something affordable. I'm a home stringer.

Cheers!

v-verb 01-26-2013 09:12 AM

Klippermate. Cheap, reliable, time tested.

Squidward 01-26-2013 10:30 AM

Depends on what you're looking for. Drop weight, Crank, Electronic...

You say affordable, but it help to know what your budget is. You might be able to find a used machine in your price range that has the features you're looking for.

Lakers4Life 01-26-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benxuan (Post 7167346)
Hello everyone,

any recommendation for stringing machine? something affordable. I'm a home stringer.

Cheers!

There is a Sticky at the top that should answer most of your questions.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=349814

benxuan 01-26-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidward (Post 7167587)
Depends on what you're looking for. Drop weight, Crank, Electronic...

You say affordable, but it help to know what your budget is. You might be able to find a used machine in your price range that has the features you're looking for.

I'm looking at 1-2k

but i used to be using babolat star 5 for the past year.

Andyroo10567 01-26-2013 09:02 PM

May i ask why your switching away from the Star 5?

Lakers4Life 01-26-2013 09:17 PM

The key words are "used to using", meaning he did not own it.

I would recomend a used Babolat, since he's used to a Star 5.

benxuan 01-26-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7168989)
The key words are "used to using", meaning he did not own it.

I would recomend a used Babolat, since he's used to a Star 5.

Yeah the star 5 is not mine and i shifted away from the shop since.

Used star 5 you mean?

any other suggestion? I'm looking at Prince 6000 or some machine with 6 pt.

Lakers4Life 01-26-2013 10:13 PM

There are a couple of Prince 3000 available for $2000. A used 6000 and 5000 don't usually come up for sale that often.

If you are looking for new, any high end crank with a Wise 2086 is your best bet.

benxuan 01-26-2013 10:20 PM

What about Prince NEOS. heard alot from them. Are they good?

benxuan 01-26-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7169060)
There are a couple of Prince 3000 available for $2000. A used 6000 and 5000 don't usually come up for sale that often.

If you are looking for new, any high end crank with a Wise 2086 is your best bet.

Which high end crank will you recommend?

Lakers4Life 01-26-2013 10:43 PM

Neos 1000 is old technology. You are better off with a Neos 1500 or Gamma 6004.

Technatic 01-26-2013 11:19 PM

Take CP!

My advice:
Buy a Constant pull;
- With so many strings with totally different elongation character, the difference in result (DT value) without CP will be big.
- You are used to CP with the Star 5.

Dr. Perry 01-27-2013 07:34 AM

I have been looking too.

It comes down to

1. your budget range;
2. what would make you happy;
3. features, practicality;

My sugestion is to take your time, hopefully you can try one or two stringing job before deciding one.

In my case, I used a ATS SS II, and Neos 1000, see a 6004 in the club I go. I really like the Neos 1000! It is easy to use. Everything is GOOD! However, the quality from ATS SS II is not inferior at all. Yes, it may take a minute or two extra time to mount the racquet. The lever may not be perfectly level everytime. The price difference is nearly $900.

The next thing you should consider is ... how often you would use the machine. Using it once or twice per month (home user) is very different from once or twice a week situation.

At the end, I would say no rush, take the time and listen, try it if possible.

Good luck!

darklore009 01-27-2013 10:58 AM

With that price range, might as well get a constant pull machine. Though the neos is nice, you could get like the gamma II els

TennisCJC 01-28-2013 09:36 AM

Get a Stringway dropweight with 2 action gliding clamps and a brake.

It is built like a tank. Mine is 6 yrs old and as good as new.

It is constant pull.

It pulls correct tension at any angle. You don't have to worry about dropping the tension arm to parallel with ground. Any angle is spot on tension. This is one of the main reasons I bought this machine.

It is drop weight. Cranks have springs which deteriate with time. Electrics have motors which deteriate with time. Drop weight has heavy metal and gravity which do not deteriate with time.

It has a very good 5 point mounting system. I like it but a some of the expensive floating mount systems 6 point may be a little better.

It has outstanding clamps - built like a tank. The only drawback is they can be a little bulky.

Get the brake as it is needed for the crappy prince o ports if you plan to own or string the crappy prince o port rackets.

I bought a tool stand and it works well as it is a good height and the machine fits nicely. $50 bucks for the stand. I may invest in a rolling stand with cabinets and drawers so I can store all my string and tools in one unit in the future.

LaSerFibre offers similar features but they are a crappy company - they may take your money and never deliver or deliver something different than you ordered or be so slow with deliver that they irritate the heck out of you. LaSerFibre = good products = crappy customer service.

Irvin 01-28-2013 10:12 AM

Since all stringers are built like tanks why don't they make tanks out of old stringers?

domosborn 01-28-2013 12:11 PM

Not an expert from what i've heard on the forums + some experience you can't go wrong with a gamma 6004+wise or a neos 1500+wise
(My vote would be neos but as has been said countless times, they are both excellent and either will make you happy)

Dr. Perry 01-29-2013 04:23 AM

If money is no object, go for the most expensive one in your budget range. It is like why drive a honda if you can afford a Lamborghini?

If you are a value hunter, a klippermate can produce the same result, at the expense of some logistic issues you need to take care in addition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by domosborn (Post 7175223)
Not an expert from what i've heard on the forums + some experience you can't go wrong with a gamma 6004+wise or a neos 1500+wise
(My vote would be neos but as has been said countless times, they are both excellent and either will make you happy)

Irvin 01-29-2013 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benxuan (Post 7167346)
Hello everyone,

Cheers!

Affordable low use = cheap drop weight. You get what you pay for, no matter what all the X2 and KM owners are going to cry out. Misery loves company. I am not saying they are not good machines that will last a very long time, but that they are very affordable and designed for low production which appears to be a perfect fit for your parameters.

If you buy a high end machine and string every couple of weeks it will take you decades to recoup your money.