Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   will someone please tell Chris Evert to just stop talking (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452587)

lcalamar 01-26-2013 10:27 AM

will someone please tell Chris Evert to just stop talking
 
I really enjoy watching tennis matches and the Li Na Azeranka final was no exception.

however, ESPN announcers are brutally bad.. they don't seem to understand that a match like today's doesn't need manufactured drama.

there were many tense moments where the play and players didn't need endless droning on about. just shut up and let me enjoy the match.

I hate that a player I used to really enjoy (evert), I now can't stand because she just drones on and on and on with absolutely nothing of value to add.

Evert may be the worst but this seems to be ESPN's style, always trying to manufacture drama and ALL of their on air personalities follow this script (except Darren Cahill).

...and stats - just STOP, they don't add any value, I am watching the match I don't need to have stats shoved at me constantly.

once again, just let the tennis speak for itself...

what a shame that ESPN got tennis rights, it has really reduced my enjoyment of watching these events.

axel89 01-26-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcalamar (Post 7167576)
I really enjoy watching tennis matches and the Li Na Azeranka final was no exception.

however, ESPN announcers are brutally bad.. they don't seem to understand that a match like today's doesn't need manufactured drama.

there were many tense moments where the play and players didn't need endless droning on about. just shut up and let me enjoy the match.

I hate that a player I used to really enjoy (evert), I now can't stand because she just drones on and on and on with absolutely nothing of value to add.

Evert may be the worst but this seems to be ESPN's style, always trying to manufacture drama and ALL of their on air personalities follow this script (except Darren Cahill).

...and stats - just STOP, they don't add any value, I am watching the match I don't need to have stats shoved at me constantly.

once again, just let the tennis speak for itself...

what a shame that ESPN got tennis rights, it has really reduced my enjoyment of watching these events.

stop whining seriously find a stream or qq I find espn perfectly fine if you don't then go find another stream or something

shideg 01-31-2013 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcalamar (Post 7167576)
...just shut up and let me enjoy the match.

...once again, just let the tennis speak for itself...

what a shame that ESPN got tennis rights, it has really reduced my enjoyment of watching these events.

Got a mute button on your TV remote?

But you do have a point. I thought about making a drinking game - taking a shot or whatever every time someone mentions a Williams sister in any WTA match they aren't playing in, but I don't want to become a lush.

Irvin 01-31-2013 06:07 AM

Maybe you should record the match do a voice over and then watch it.

lcalamar 01-31-2013 04:48 PM

Yeah - ESPN loves the William sisters - probably because there is always so much drama always surrounding them. ESPN trying to tie Sloan Stevens to Serena Williams was really weak.

I wonder how coverage on The Tennis Channel was? I don't get it but may be worth switching providers just for that reason.

I just want to sit and watch my favorite sport and not have to work so hard to enjoy it. I shouldn't have to figure out how to stream it, or mute the sound or change carriers or whatever.

I find it hard to believe that many others don't share my same issues with ESPN? IF not - then I guess I am whining.

However - when the semis and finals were on CBS (or NBC) - with JOHN McEnroe and that team - I very much enjoyed those broadcasts.

I stand by my assessment that ESPN is the problem.

boredone3456 01-31-2013 05:02 PM

I'll take Evert over Carillo any day.

lcalamar 01-31-2013 05:26 PM

Ha - I was just wondering if I still felt that way. There are lots of threads already out here debating the various announcers - and certainly Evert and Carillo are always near the top.

My thinking here was that Evert was the poster child for the generally poor job that ESPN does. I'm of the mind set that ESPN is pulling all the strings on the constant talking and drama.

ESPN's track record of not letting sports events just be sporting events (letting the sport stand on it's own) - is indisputable. Not sure yet if they create poor announcers - or if poor announcing is just what ESPN does?

Dedans Penthouse 02-02-2013 12:07 PM

ESPN in a nutshell..Linda Cohn: as a "football expert" pls. tell me: which end is up?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lcalamar (Post 7183361)
Ha - I was just wondering if I still felt that way. There are lots of threads already out here debating the various announcers - and certainly Evert and Carillo are always near the top.

My thinking here was that Evert was the poster child for the generally poor job that ESPN does. I'm of the mind set that ESPN is pulling all the strings on the constant talking and drama.

ESPN's track record of not letting sports events just be sporting events (letting the sport stand on it's own) - is indisputable. Not sure yet if they create poor announcers - or if poor announcing is just what ESPN does?

Interesting way of phrasing it. Well done.

mightyrick 02-03-2013 06:58 PM

I just heard James Blake commentating today during the Isner/Belucci match. Good lord that was horrible. Give me Chris Evert over James Blake.

Cindysphinx 02-03-2013 07:19 PM

I have one small, humble request.

Networks, can you please please do the math for me when you show a stat?

We get to a set tiebreak, and they put this on the screen:

Tiebreak records:

Tsonga: 112/79 for 2012, 463/661 lifetime

Vasquez: 42/63 for 2012, 111/128 lifetime

And I am supposed to figure that out and compare the win percentages in six seconds?

Overdrive 02-03-2013 07:25 PM

The people I want to be on ESPN: Hewitt, Safin, and Roddick. :)

3fees 02-05-2013 07:39 AM

Announcers are paid to talk and most say anything to keep talking, thats why I use the mute button.

omega4 02-05-2013 08:23 AM

Tell Chris Evert to just stop talking?

I think Greg Norman did when he divorced her.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcalamar (Post 7167576)
I really enjoy watching tennis matches and the Li Na Azeranka final was no exception.

however, ESPN announcers are brutally bad.. they don't seem to understand that a match like today's doesn't need manufactured drama.

there were many tense moments where the play and players didn't need endless droning on about. just shut up and let me enjoy the match.

I hate that a player I used to really enjoy (evert), I now can't stand because she just drones on and on and on with absolutely nothing of value to add.

Evert may be the worst but this seems to be ESPN's style, always trying to manufacture drama and ALL of their on air personalities follow this script (except Darren Cahill).

...and stats - just STOP, they don't add any value, I am watching the match I don't need to have stats shoved at me constantly.

once again, just let the tennis speak for itself...

what a shame that ESPN got tennis rights, it has really reduced my enjoyment of watching these events.


Goosehead 02-05-2013 12:51 PM

everytime he pulled it out of her mouth..she started talking again..:twisted:

so he thought, oh no..she wont ever shut up..time for a divorce i think. :twisted:

NLBwell 02-05-2013 06:12 PM

It seems to me that ESPN has a script. Talk about stats A after the 3rd game, Talk about Serena Williams during the 6th game. Talk about the childhood of player A during the 9th game. Talk about stats B in the 10th game. Talk about an unknown celebrity during the tiebreaker, etc.

Fine if the match is a 6-1 6-1 blowout, but not if a decent match is going on.
If you get ESPN 360 you can often get the matches without a commentary, depending on what court they are on.

lcalamar 02-05-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7189763)
I have one small, humble request.

Networks, can you please please do the math for me when you show a stat?

We get to a set tiebreak, and they put this on the screen:

Tiebreak records:

Tsonga: 112/79 for 2012, 463/661 lifetime

Vasquez: 42/63 for 2012, 111/128 lifetime

And I am supposed to figure that out and compare the win percentages in six seconds?

Stats are simply another mechanism for the announcers to have something to drone on about.

During a match previous stats are meaningless and have no bearing on the outcome of a particular game or match.

steenkash 02-06-2013 01:58 AM

I don't know where she lives, but I will give it a try.

Surecatch 02-06-2013 09:07 AM

"Chrissie" always comes off very self-absorbed in my experiences seeing her do matches and commentary, and she gets *****y pretty easy too.

Less "Chrissie" and more Mary Jo would be great, imo.

PhotoBlue 02-06-2013 12:37 PM

Anyone else hate Pam shriver?

CCNM 02-06-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredone3456 (Post 7183327)
I'll take Evert over Carillo any day.

Me too!!!!! I read somewhere that Mary C got fired? Is that true?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse