Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Azarenka deserves respect for defending her title (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452597)

NadalAgassi 01-26-2013 12:10 PM

Azarenka deserves respect for defending her title

I am not a big Azarenka fan and was rooting for Na Li to beat her last night. However she deserves more respect than she seems to be getting. She defended her title, something that seems rare these days in womens tennis. The last 2 slam finals she was in where both thrilling encounters, the U.S Open final narrow loss to Serena, and last nights narrow win over Na Li, which both Serena and Na contributed to as well of course. She is also the first #1 since Henin and Serena some years back to both play consistently enough on the regular tour to be ranked #1, and to have the capacity to regularly contend and win some of the big titles to justify that ranking. Yes she took a questionable MTO, but this is the WTA, who doesnt do that in the last 15 years.

OrangePower 01-26-2013 12:14 PM

Ok, she deserves respect for her game, which is good.

But I can't respect her gamemanship. Not the MTO (although that was suspect also), but the horrible wailing, which is clearly not necessary and is a constant hindrance to her opponent, not to mention an assault on the ears of the hapless spectators.

gavna 01-26-2013 12:49 PM

Cheater.......:)

mariecon 01-26-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 7167855)
Ok, she deserves respect for her game, which is good.

But I can't respect her gamemanship. Not the MTO (although that was suspect also), but the horrible wailing, which is clearly not necessary and is a constant hindrance to her opponent, not to mention an assault on the ears of the hapless spectators.

couldn't agree more with this.

Clarky21 01-26-2013 12:55 PM

Maybe she should dish out some respect before thinking she's entitled to it. Anyone who is nasty to the ball kids is instantly blacklisted for me. And that's not the only thing I dislike about her, either.

Sid_Vicious 01-26-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7168002)
Maybe she should dish out some respect before thinking she's entitled to it. Anyone who is nasty to the ball kids is instantly blacklisted for me. And that's not the only thing I dislike about her, either.

What did she do?

Amelie Mauresmo 01-26-2013 01:00 PM

I agree with the OP with the terrible slamless number one players like Caroline Wozniacki women's tennis finally has a young player who is a multiple slam champion. Maybe Victoria's success is going to inspire the other women. Women's tennis needs more mentally tough players like Azarenka who can come through a slam and win titles. I wasn't sure about Azarenka before the Australian Open if she's the real deal but she proved it by defending her title.

Clarky21 01-26-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid_Vicious (Post 7168011)
What did she do?

http://www.onthebaseline.com/2010/07...a-not-so-much/

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=411692

Crisstti 01-26-2013 01:29 PM

I was very disappointed Na Li lost :???:

She was playing so good until Azarenka broke her in the first set... who apparently had just 2 winners up until then.

Disappointed Li couldn't keep her game together.

THUNDERVOLLEY 01-26-2013 08:26 PM

Li did not deserve to win, and was not as "impressive" as some tried to sell her. When facing a real opponent in Azarenka, the Li wheels fell off, and she had no answers. Then again, her coach may have much to do with that, as one of his former clients also reached a point where she had no answers for real opponents.

Azarenka fully earner her second major, and as far as the new guard is concerned, she's in a top class above the rest.

Ico 01-26-2013 08:29 PM

Azarenka was very fortunate that Hampton, Serena, and Li all had (actual) health concerns. But you can only play the cards you're dealt so good for Azarenka to make the best of her situation.

mellowyellow 01-26-2013 08:41 PM

Kills me how because she grunts or whatever, their is so much hate to the point of supporting a female LA in the sport of tennis. I think the ESPN commentating said it all, she is better mover at 31? 32? than Vica, and than she ever was, and funny she don't look as fit as Nav did in her early 30's (she about wrote the book on it) and she clearly was showing signs of slowing down at that point in age. Hmmm makes you wonder doesn't it, not just about Li, but about anyone that would support her, throw in her slip comment about her Russian or was it a German "Nutritionist".

To the origianal point, yes she does deserve all the credit, she even payed for the possible exaggerated MTO dealing with 2 and the 10 min fireworks on her serve in the 3rd...

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-26-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ico (Post 7168943)
Azarenka was very fortunate that Hampton, Serena, and Li all had (actual) health concerns. But you can only play the cards you're dealt so good for Azarenka to make the best of her situation.

They felt like Azarenka needed a lesson on what qualifies as a medical timeout.

Tafmatch 01-26-2013 08:47 PM

Li was the same trainwreck she was in the final against Clijsters. Winning the first set but in such a negative, angry, stressed-out state of mind that her opponent only had to keep the ball in play to win the match.

If anyone deserved to win it was Azarenka. Terrible, ugly match.

ctoth666 01-26-2013 09:43 PM

Azarenka deserves respect for being sexy, not for defending any titles. I could care less about majors. She has a rockin' body, and I don't care how many MTO's she takes or when she takes them.

smoledman 01-26-2013 09:48 PM

Azarenka is fit as a fiddle and will now go on to have a great 2013.

Kirijax 01-26-2013 09:51 PM

Maybe it's her character, but Azarenka is one of the ugliest out there to me. I have no idea how anyone can call her "sexy". She may play pretty good tennis, but she is mentally weak and flat out classless. Not a good role model to be standing on top of women's tennis. And I haven't even mentioned that awful, deliberate hooting grunt she does.

veroniquem 01-26-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tafmatch (Post 7168957)
Li was the same trainwreck she was in the final against Clijsters. Winning the first set but in such a negative, angry, stressed-out state of mind that her opponent only had to keep the ball in play to win the match.

I agree. Li Na was an UE machine. Mentally all over the place. A real gift to get that poor woman in a final. Rodriguez may have helped her game but he sure hasn't cracked the mental issues.

ctoth666 01-26-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirijax (Post 7169032)
Maybe it's her character, but Azarenka is one of the ugliest out there to me. I have no idea how anyone can call her "sexy". She may play pretty good tennis, but she is mentally weak and flat out classless. Not a good role model to be standing on top of women's tennis. And I haven't even mentioned that awful, deliberate hooting grunt she does.

I'm a young male. I'm very visual. I like the way she's put together. I wasn't commenting on her character. I was keeping it strictly in the physical realm.

DMan 01-26-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 7167842)
I am not a big Azarenka fan and was rooting for Na Li to beat her last night. However she deserves more respect than she seems to be getting. She defended her title, something that seems rare these days in womens tennis. The last 2 slam finals she was in where both thrilling encounters, the U.S Open final narrow loss to Serena, and last nights narrow win over Na Li, which both Serena and Na contributed to as well of course. She is also the first #1 since Henin and Serena some years back to both play consistently enough on the regular tour to be ranked #1, and to have the capacity to regularly contend and win some of the big titles to justify that ranking. Yes she took a questionable MTO, but this is the WTA, who doesnt do that in the last 15 years.

Typical, my darling, for you to defend Azarenka.

Disgusting
Despicable
Reprehensible

which describes Azarenka and anyone who defends her!

Don't recall Steffi Graf ever taking a questionable, off court MTO!