Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What should I do next? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452619)

Amir 01-26-2013 02:21 PM

What should I do next?

Ok, so I just lost 3 tournaments back to back. All first round. I started a year and a third ago and playing L4s. My coach said I should play those because they'll build up my ranking the fastest. The thing is Ive been losing in the first round in straight sets each. Should I take some time off from tournaments? Keep playing them? Idk what to do. thanks

Misterbill 01-26-2013 02:30 PM

First thing to do is figure out (whether you tell us or not) why you are losing

Amir 01-26-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misterbill (Post 7168285)
First thing to do is figure out (whether you tell us or not) why you are losing

Serves, serve returns, & volleys

Misterbill 01-26-2013 02:44 PM

Work on those things, then. You gotta understand that those are three pretty big pieces of the game, not like one little tweak will start getting you to the quarters.

10ismom 01-26-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amir (Post 7168266)
Ok, so I just lost 3 tournaments back to back. All first round. I started a year and a third ago and playing L4s. My coach said I should play those because they'll build up my ranking the fastest. The thing is Ive been losing in the first round in straight sets each. Should I take some time off from tournaments? Keep playing them? Idk what to do. thanks

Can you mix it up? Playing a couple of lower level tournaments and come back to play the level you are stuggling with. Forget about the ranking points and work on your game and confidence a little more.

Amir 01-26-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10ismom (Post 7168311)
Can you mix it up? Playing a couple of lower level tournaments and come back to play the level you are stuggling with. Forget about the ranking points and work on your game and confidence a little more.

That's exactly what I wanna do but my coaches keep telling me to do level 4s. I think I'm just gonna take a break from 4s and go to 5s

treeman10 01-26-2013 03:57 PM

TennisCoachIN 01-26-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amir (Post 7168357)
That's exactly what I wanna do but my coaches keep telling me to do level 4s. I think I'm just gonna take a break from 4s and go to 5s

Honestly you arent ready for L4s. Maybe you need to play level 6s. Work on your serve and returns. If you are trying to build your ranking fast, this is not the right approach.

Chemist 01-26-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amir (Post 7168266)

Playing tournament is the best way of tennis training. But because you just start to play tournament, you need to first play a few lowest level of the tournaments to learn how to win points, games, and matches and gain confidence. Just forget about the ranking and ignore what your coach said.

Overdrive 01-26-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemist (Post 7168973)
Playing tournament is the best way of tennis training. But because you just start to play tournament, you need to first play a few lowest level of the tournaments to learn how to win points, games, and matches and gain confidence. Just forget about the ranking and ignore what your coach said.

Yeah, he's not the only one. I actually lost every doubles match last year due to bad coaching. I developed to nearly 4.0/4.5 in one year and is still terrible in leading to the right direction as in playing with other opponents.

Misterbill 01-27-2013 07:15 AM

In the OP's other thread, he says he is training at the best academy in Georgia.

Even coaches with the best reputations can be wrong in certain cases, but I dunno if I would tell the OP to ignore his coach when I haven't seen the OP play, and the only thing I know about the OP is what he has posted about himself on a message board.

Amir 01-27-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCoachIN (Post 7168508)
Honestly you arent ready for L4s. Maybe you need to play level 6s. Work on your serve and returns. If you are trying to build your ranking fast, this is not the right approach.

Never heard of a level 6. The lowest is a level 5. I played one before and got to second place and thought it was too easy. So I just started playing level 4s.

Amir 01-27-2013 07:48 AM

I was planing on taking 2 months off then doing a level 4. Now I think I should just do level 5s for a while just to build up match experience and stuff.

Amir 01-27-2013 07:49 AM

By 2 months off I mean 2 months off from tournaments and keep training.

Chemist 01-27-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amir (Post 7171566)
I was planing on taking 2 months off then doing a level 4. Now I think I should just do level 5s for a while just to build up match experience and stuff.

SWEETWATER FROSTBITE JR SATELLITE, a L5, had only 4 kids signed up for B16. Everybody got to play 3 matches. You will get more out of this type of tournament than L4 that you would be out after one loss.

You may also want to take private lessons from a coach at the Lifetime who would be tough on you, singing less praise and yelling at you more, and making you work really really hard on every aspect of the game. You may also want to ask your coach to watch you play or have your dad or mom tape one of your matches so that your coach can see what you need to work on.

BTW, cross country will help your tennis game for sure!

treeman10 01-27-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amir (Post 7171566)

Ya, don't stop competing or you will drop further behind. Train and compete in the L5s or comparable matches. Get in as many matches as you can. There are a lot of players who practice well but don't compete well. You have to put in the time to both if you want to get better. Staying out of tournaments will hurt you and your confidence. Practice and compete in a level you are happy with. Don't follow your coach on the L4 advice, listen to your gut, it is screaming louder than he is.