Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Competition Makes You Better (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452633)

comeback 01-26-2013 05:11 PM

Competition Makes You Better

Competition in Leagues/Tournaments obviously make you a better player..Real matches make you sharper, mentally stronger and build confidence. Matches also reveal to you the things you need to improve on...I remember playing a USTA National Tournament against a very good player who was a member of the host club. At 4-4 in the first set he lost serve from nerves. i won the first set 6-4 and 2nd set 6-2..I felt we were equal in ability. he might have been a shade better. But i won because i played more USTA tournaments and he played competitive in leagues only..I have seen several players in my years who had fair games but great competitiveness and self belief that made them winners..Has anyone else had this experience or know players like this (who could be so much better)? Or the opposite guys who say " i don't care if i win or lose.

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-26-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comeback (Post 7168633)
Competition in Leagues/Tournaments obviously make you a better player..Real matches make you sharper, mentally stronger and build confidence. Matches also reveal to you the things you need to improve on...I remember playing a USTA National Tournament against a very good player who was a member of the host club. At 4-4 in the first set he lost serve from nerves. i won the first set 6-4 and 2nd set 6-2..I felt we were equal in ability. he might have been a shade better. But i won because i played more USTA tournaments and he played competitive in leagues only..I have seen several players in my years who had fair games but great competitiveness and self belief that made them winners..Has anyone else had this experience or know players like this (who could be so much better)? Or the opposite guys who say " i don't care if i win or lose.

That is so true, I'm glad someone else understand that. There's another thread here about getting bageled on. I think if you're able to learn something about yourself, that's a victory in itself.

Having said that, I can only rally for so long, 30mins max perhaps. After that, I get bored at just mindlessly bashing balls. And then I want to play sets/matches.

slowfox 01-27-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7168678)
Having said that, I can only rally for so long, 30mins max perhaps. After that, I get bored at just mindlessly bashing balls. And then I want to play sets/matches.

I hear ya buddy. Rallying all day just seems silly to me. Yet that's what I see at my local park all the time. Everybody should make it a point to practice sets.

Rjtennis 01-27-2013 09:38 AM

I think there is definitely a place for both. When I'm just rallying I work on my footwork and fitness and try to isolate areas that I need improvement on by doing specific drills. However, I also need practice matches to work on my shot selection, serve and playing strong mentally. I see some people that only want to play matches and there game never evolves. They just don't take the time to work on specific strokes to make themselves more complete players. For me at least, I play my best when I get a even mix of practices and matches.

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-27-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rjtennis (Post 7171934)
I think there is definitely a place for both. When I'm just rallying I work on my footwork and fitness and try to isolate areas that I need improvement on by doing specific drills. However, I also need practice matches to work on my shot selection, serve and playing strong mentally. I see some people that only want to play matches and there game never evolves. They just don't take the time to work on specific strokes to make themselves more complete players. For me at least, I play my best when I get a even mix of practices and matches.

There is a place for both for sure. Like you said, if you're working on a certain stroke or tactic, yes.

But if I'm just hitting balls back and forth, no.

slowfox 01-27-2013 11:11 AM

Of course we want some balance. If my partner just wants to bat the ball around, then I oblige but (secretly) practice on my breathing or footwork etc.

I guess what I'm saying is there should be some purpose to what you do.