Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Priority One: Waste of money or Necessary? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452659)

Overdrive 01-26-2013 09:16 PM

Priority One: Waste of money or Necessary?

For those that you don't know what Priority One is, it is a company that strings racquets for players ranging from recreational players to professionals in WTA/ATP.

This is a quote from a link on one their website: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...235154610.html
It stated that:
"Priority One has 14 "gold service" clients, including Mr. Djokovic, Roger Federer, Andy Murray and Robin Soderling. For $40,000 a year, the company cares for its clients' rackets at the four Grand Slam and eight other mandatory tournaments. (Additional tournaments cost extra.)" This article is from 2011 so the number of clients has increased to players including Li Na, Azarenka, Wawrinka, etc.

I know I'm not on tour, but are the prices for the "bronze" and "silver" services near hundreds to thousands of dollars? This seems to target consumers who have a huge wallet. There's people on here that can string their own racquets for free... :confused: Also, there isn't any priority one shops anywhere here.. I guess you have to ship them or something.. :-|

One can assume that P1 customers either: don't have a stringing machine, too busy to string their own racquets, too lazy to string their racquets, or have money to spend.

bosssauce 01-27-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7168984)
For those that you don't know what Priority One is, it is a company that strings racquets for players ranging from recreational players to professionals in WTA/ATP.

This is a quote from a link on one their website: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...235154610.html
It stated that:
"Priority One has 14 "gold service" clients, including Mr. Djokovic, Roger Federer, Andy Murray and Robin Soderling. For $40,000 a year, the company cares for its clients' rackets at the four Grand Slam and eight other mandatory tournaments. (Additional tournaments cost extra.)" This article is from 2011 so the number of clients has increased to players including Li Na, Azarenka, Wawrinka, etc.

I know I'm not on tour, but are the prices for the "bronze" and "silver" services near hundreds to thousands of dollars? This seems to target consumers who have a huge wallet. There's people on here that can string their own racquets for free... :confused: Also, there isn't any priority one shops anywhere here.. I guess you have to ship them or something.. :-|

One can assume that P1 customers either: don't have a stringing machine, too busy to string their own racquets, too lazy to string their racquets, or have money to spend.

It is for customizing rackets and they travel with the pros regular people dont just send in rackets

THESEXPISTOL 01-27-2013 06:59 AM

If you are pro yes, is necessary. 40.000$ is not enough money to pay someone their salary and cover travel expenses. Plus you need to pay a sh*tload of money on airports extra baggage for the stringing machine.
And there's few pros that can afford 40.000$ year to someone to take care of their racquets, and P1 are best, so thinking wisely P1 has a great performance/cost relation.

Overdrive 01-27-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THESEXPISTOL (Post 7171425)
If you are pro yes, is necessary. 40.000$ is not enough money to pay someone their salary and cover travel expenses. Plus you need to pay a sh*tload of money on airports extra baggage for the stringing machine.
And there's few pros that can afford 40.000$ year to someone to take care of their racquets, and P1 are best, so thinking wisely P1 has a great performance/cost relation.

You say that $40,000 is not even enough to cover salary and travel expenses? Wow.
I know that P1 is the best out there for exclusive stringing, but I won't get any racquets strung from them anytime soon... :-|

novak.20v 01-27-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7168984)

It stated that:

They don't just string racquets.

Devilito 01-27-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7172097)
You say that $40,000 is not even enough to cover salary and travel expenses? Wow.
I know that P1 is the best out there for exclusive stringing, but I won't get any racquets strung from them anytime soon... :-|

you're comparing yourself to Fed or Djokovic? wow

i agree that $40k is actually quite low compared to the amount of stringing and racquet customization that happens on a daily basis when taking into account salary and expenses. Seems like a bargain

slowfox 01-27-2013 11:08 AM

I suppose it's all relative. If you earn millions per year, what's 40K to ya? Heard Fed spent 800 bucks for a haircut in New York...

THESEXPISTOL 01-27-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7172219)
I suppose it's all relative. If you earn millions per year, what's 40K to ya? Heard Fed spent 800 bucks for a haircut in New York...

USOpen 2008 if i remember correctly...

40.000/12=3333$

Overdrive, forgetting about the travel expenses you'd have, would you travel the world and stay in a hotel room stringing racquets almost everyday, away from your family and friends, away from your home, for only 3333$? I don't know where are you from, but i know for instance in europe that's not a lot of money. I know guys that earn that with a racquet/stringing shop at their city, and it's not a big city...

Relinquis 01-27-2013 02:55 PM

I wonder if the players who are sponsored by racquet companies get this service covered. I mean, they're getting paid to use those sticks anyway.

SteveI 01-27-2013 03:11 PM

Some... regular folks here... like Jackb1 and TripleB spend $40,000 a year on frames and stringing... :-)

pvaudio 01-27-2013 04:23 PM

40k/year is nothing. The only way you would even make a living wage off that amount doing what they do is if you have numerous clients. As said, imagine how far 40k goes for the average person. Then imagine your entire life is spent flying and shipping equipment around the world and being holed up in hotel rooms from Monte Carlo to Miami to Shanghai to London.

Overdrive 01-27-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilito (Post 7172154)
you're comparing yourself to Fed or Djokovic? wow

i agree that $40k is actually quite low compared to the amount of stringing and racquet customization that happens on a daily basis when taking into account salary and expenses. Seems like a bargain

What? I never compared myself to those guys....
I don't know, but I would find no need to get the "Gold service" or even the "silver service" unless I'm a professional or something.

Overdrive 01-27-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7172219)

He could have got a haircut that's exactly the same for around $30-$40 (which is still expensive for a haircut). I only pay $10 for mine or just let the lady cut it for me. :cool:

Overdrive 01-27-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THESEXPISTOL (Post 7172498)
USOpen 2008 if i remember correctly...

40.000/12=3333$

Overdrive, forgetting about the travel expenses you'd have, would you travel the world and stay in a hotel room stringing racquets almost everyday, away from your family and friends, away from your home, for only 3333$? I don't know where are you from, but i know for instance in europe that's not a lot of money. I know guys that earn that with a racquet/stringing shop at their city, and it's not a big city...

I'm not surprised that's not alot of money according to you as the Euro (EU) is imploding at the moment.

Well my city has been picked as #10 least expensive city in the USA.
Here's a link for proof: http://www.cnbc.com/id/45989628/page/2

My area is #50 on Forbes as well: http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/13/che...ces-chart.html

So how much does the average guy earn from a racquet/stringing store?

Overdrive 01-27-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveI (Post 7172791)
Some... regular folks here... like Jackb1 and TripleB spend $40,000 a year on frames and stringing... :-)

I love tennis and racquets and all of that jazz, but I because there's only 8 Boris Becker racquets that I would purchase, I don't have to spend that much on frames and stringing unless if I string them all with natural gut and/or adding weight (or if I purchase multiple frames). But they probably spend that much because they are involved in the business or something like that. :P

Overdrive 01-27-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7172928)
40k/year is nothing. The only way you would even make a living wage off that amount doing what they do is if you have numerous clients. As said, imagine how far 40k goes for the average person. Then imagine your entire life is spent flying and shipping equipment around the world and being holed up in hotel rooms from Monte Carlo to Miami to Shanghai to London.

Yes, If I had a family, it would be really hard on them to miss me all different times of the year.

If I was single then I wouldn't mind actually... :cool:

JDMasFCK 01-27-2013 04:48 PM

They custom the racquets, string, and travel with the pros and the level of consistency and professionalism that they do it justifies the price.

Overdrive 01-27-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMasFCK (Post 7172977)
They custom the racquets, string, and travel with the pros and the level of consistency and professionalism that they do it justifies the price.

What do you think the average pro goes through a racquet in a year? The guys at P1 said that some of the pros go through 60 racquets a year..

:shock:

Chotobaka 01-27-2013 05:06 PM

14 clients at $40,000.00 = $560,000.00. I think they manage to budget expenses and still turn a profit for their services. Plus the PR and media exposure has added value.

Larrysümmers 01-27-2013 05:14 PM

this isnt for the average rec player. its like needing a pit crew for your town car.