Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What's Wrong With Li Na? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452670)

winstonplum 01-26-2013 11:36 PM

What's Wrong With Li Na?

I've never, ever seen a player win the first set in a best of three and look as catatonic as Li Na. And this was before she banged her head. It was as though she as heading to the executioner, AND SHE WAS ONE SET AWAY from the title. I'm mean, how about a first pump, a little positive energy. It was if she had absolutely no belief that she could win.

FedererDropShot 01-27-2013 12:16 AM

Azarenka just got better in the 2nd set and 3rd set.

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-27-2013 12:20 AM

Really? You're going to give a player hell for being humble and keep-it-within herself, and not going ape-***** for winning a (string) point or two?

She wasn't serving well, neither one was. I thought Li Na was playing better from the baseline. She was more aggressive.

I thought the match was on her hands the whole time, and she was dictating plays (aside from serves). Did she get tight later in the 3rd set? Yeah, probably, since she was broken to lose the match.

Yeah, she was one set away from victory, but ankles don't care if you're on your first game or last. After playing through two rolled ankle, and probably a concussion, I'd say she was worth my time and a stadium seat if I was lucky enough to watch a GS final live.

NadalAgassi 01-27-2013 12:50 AM

She is a headcase, always was, always will be. This was similar to the 2010 Australian Open final with Clijsters where she played one strong set then completely fell apart, except her level of play was even worse this time. As for playing better from the baseline, spraying balls out on atleast 50% of the points is not playing better from the baseline, sorry.

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-27-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 7169571)
She is a headcase, always was, always will be. This was similar to the 2010 Australian Open final with Clijsters where she played one strong set then completely fell apart, except her level of play was even worse this time. As for playing better from the baseline, spraying balls out on atleast 50% of the points is not playing better from the baseline, sorry.

She did have more errors, but she also had more winners right?

NadalAgassi 01-27-2013 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7169661)
She did have more errors, but she also had more winners right?

and yet the errors gulf was even bigger than the winners gulf, so overall she played worse from the baseline, she managed to serve worse than Azarenka which is bad considering Azarenka doesnt even have a good serve, and of course she competed far worse, thus she was the loser.

Ico 01-27-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 7169571)

2011 AO final*. The one before she won a slam.

Amelie Mauresmo 01-27-2013 08:11 AM

I think Li Na tries to go for winners too much and doesn't work the point more. Li Na blew another grand slam final I don't think Azarenka played much better to be honest she was just more steady in the critical moment. Li Na lost this match due to making too many unforced errors.

Two times I thought Li lost the match was when she lead 3-1 in the first set had a chance to go up 4-1 yet blew an easy floater with a swing volley. Azarenka wins the game and gets back into the first set.

The second time was even worse, Li has a chance to make it 3-3 in the second set she has 0-40 on Azarenka's serve an open court and dumps the ball in the net on her third break point. Azarenka takes a 4-2 lead and wins the second set and eventually the match is over.

Li blew this big time just like she did against Clijsters in 2011 she seems to have problems winning when there is pressure for her to win.

THUNDERVOLLEY 01-27-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonplum (Post 7169214)
I've never, ever seen a player win the first set in a best of three and look as catatonic as Li Na. And this was before she banged her head. It was as though she as heading to the executioner, AND SHE WAS ONE SET AWAY from the title. I'm mean, how about a first pump, a little positive energy. It was if she had absolutely no belief that she could win.

Azarenka had wait it out--meaning wait for Li Na to finish throwing everything at her (with no order); once that passed, Li Na had no answers for a woman Na expected to stand on the baseline, and avoid using the rest of the court. Li Na's coach probably filled her head with the idea that his methods were above the coaching/player skill of others, but that's never worked in the past, and it did not with Li Na.

Azarena has more in her toolbox. More in the toolbox means more options to pick apart the opponent's strategy.