Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Novak>Sampras (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452737)

Frying Pan Forehand 01-27-2013 08:24 AM

Novak>Sampras

It's clear that the american smurf and his potato head opponents are nothing compared to murrya and wawa.

slowfox 01-27-2013 08:30 AM

Not at present, but perhaps in the future...

Dedans Penthouse 01-27-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frying Pan Forehand (Post 7171501)
It's clear that the american smurf and his potato head opponents are nothing compared to murrya and wawa.

American smurf? .... Agassi? Edberg? Becker? Courier?

Frying Pan Forehand: douchebag troll?

90's Clay 01-27-2013 08:47 AM

Murray, Wawa, Old Federer, Tsonga, Berdych etc. >>>Peak Agassi, Older Becker, Edberg, Goran, Bruguera, Muster, kafelnikov, Rafter, Courier, Hewitt, Safin, Roddick later on??????

... Umm no.

Frying Pan Forehand 01-27-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 7171560)
Murray, Wawa, Old Federer, Tsonga, Berdych etc. >>>Peak Agassi, Older Becker, Edberg, Goran, Bruguera, Muster, kafelnikov, Rafter, Courier, Hewitt, Safin, Roddick later on??????

... Umm no.

Eggvac Lance is better than sampras.

Legend of Borg 01-27-2013 08:51 AM

What do you mean by smurf?

Are you talking about his height?

90's Clay 01-27-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frying Pan Forehand (Post 7171572)
Eggvac Lance is better than sampras.

Yea Doper Nole might be better.

Non-Doper Nole can't even finish matches though :)

zagor 01-27-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frying Pan Forehand (Post 7171501)

Stop trolling bro, he's nowhere near there yet, don't know if he ever will be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 7171587)
Yea Doper Nole might be better.

Non-Doper Nole can't even finish matches though

Actually, Novak retired in 2011 as many times as he did in any year prior to it (twice).

borg number one 01-27-2013 09:15 AM

No way is Novak Djokovic close to Pete Sampras yet. He's still a considerable distance behind players like Connors, McEnroe, and Lendl overall. Plus, Sampras performed especially great at the biggest tournament around, which is Wimbledon.

90's Clay 01-27-2013 09:26 AM

He will be caught up to Connors and Mac in no time though.. Reaching that level of Pete, Fed, and Nadal isn't out of the realm of possibility though if he can keep healthy.

Especially with the severe lack of depth in the game today. We dont know what Nadal will be like when he returns, he could be a mess.

Fed doesn't have a whole lot of time left. Hes declining with every year that passes. And if Murray isn't there to challenge Nole for the slams, its a walkover for Nole

Initially, I didn't think Novak could do it.. But people have to take into account there is really NO serious threats around right now outside of Murray. And possibly Fed on grass. Though one could argue that would be with a closed roof

pnoytennis 01-27-2013 09:41 AM

he has to beat rafa's number first before he can get close to sampras.

Sampras>Nadal>Djokovic

RF20Lennon 01-27-2013 09:44 AM

He's 8 slams away from you making that claim. Unless he wins the french then its debateable

forzamilan90 01-27-2013 09:45 AM

Garbage, garbage, garbage OP. Novak needs years of more dominance to be compared to Sampras.

The Meat 01-27-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 7171560)

... Umm no.

Edberg, Rafter, and Safin could hang around with the top guys.

Devilito 01-27-2013 10:56 AM

Lance has a long way to go to get to Petros' level. Can't just load up on EPO and hope to dope your way into the record books

NadalAgassi 01-27-2013 11:01 AM

I am a huge Sampras fan but I think both Nadal and Djokovic have a good chance of surpassing Sampras in career greatness. Nadal if he reaches 13 slams or 14 slams has a valid claim as he won on all 3 major surfaces, and many Masters titles on hard courts vs Sampras's ineptitude on clay; and while I believe Sampras is the greatest ever on grass, Nadal on clay he is the greatest player in history on any surface and the undisputed GOAT which Sampras is not on grass with Tilden, Laver, Gonzales, and Federer also contenders. Djokovic has a good chance to be a double digit slam winner who has won multiple slams at all 4 venues, and even could challenge Sampras and his 6 straight year end #1s record.

No matter what happens though I still think Sampras at his best played at the highest level ever seen on all faster courts (grass, carpet, indoor hard, fast hard courts), and until I see a player who changes my mind on that, I will continue to believe that.

90's Clay 01-27-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 7172020)
I am a huge Sampras fan but I think both Nadal and Djokovic have a good chance of surpassing Sampras in career greatness. Nadal if he reaches 13 slams or 14 slams has a valid claim as he won on all 3 major surfaces, and many Masters titles on hard courts vs Sampras's ineptitude on clay; and while I believe Sampras is the greatest ever on grass, Nadal on clay he is the greatest player in history on any surface and the undisputed GOAT which Sampras is not on grass with Tilden, Laver, Gonzales, and Federer also contenders. Djokovic has a good chance to be a double digit slam winner who has won multiple slams at all 4 venues, and even could challenge Sampras and his 6 straight year end #1s record.

No matter what happens though I still think Sampras at his best played at the highest level ever seen on all faster courts (grass, carpet, indoor hard, fast hard courts), and until I see a player who changes my mind on that, I will continue to believe that.

Very true..

Sampras at his best was hands down the most deadly fast court player to ever grace tennis.

Nadal doesn't have a YEC though.(Though the YEC has lost some luster and importance since Pete's day IMO), and neither Djoker or Nadal have the time on top that Pete did.

Nadal was #1 for a cup of coffee, and Nole needs some extended time at #1 as well IMO. Both guys got to #1 and didn't hold on to it very long. Pete kept that top #1 slot for 6 straight years. (and had a chance in 1999 and 2000 as well)

NadalAgassi 01-27-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 7172042)
Very true..

Sampras at his best was hands down the most deadly fast court player to ever grace tennis.

Nadal doesn't have a YEC though.(Though the YEC has lost some luster and importance since Pete's day IMO), and neither Djoker or Nadal have the time on top that Pete did.

Nadal was #1 for a cup of coffee, and Nole needs some extended time at #1 as well IMO. Both guys got to #1 and didn't hold on to it very long. Pete kept that top #1 slot for 6 straight years. (and had a chance in 1999 and 2000 as well)

Good point about Nadals lack of time at #1. I wonder how that will play against his legacy when his career is over. Nadal did spent a good portion of 4 different years ranked #1 though, ended 2 years there, so he isnt totally inept in that regard. He also spent so much time ranked #2 behind Federer and to a lesser extent Djokovic.

It will be interesting to see how Djokovic and his #1 stats wind up. I imagine they will be very impressive, whether they are Federer and Sampras level remain to be seen.

Nadal didnt win the YEC, but Sampras not winning the French is a bigger hole as a slam >> YEC, and who knows Nadal could win a YEC before he retires. Nadal at the YEC even has a better record than Sampras at the French as well. Djokovic should win all the major events in his career.

stringertom 01-27-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 7171674)
He will be caught up to Connors and Mac in no time though.. Reaching that level of Pete, Fed, and Nadal isn't out of the realm of possibility though if he can keep healthy.

Especially with the severe lack of depth in the game today. We dont know what Nadal will be like when he returns, he could be a mess.

Fed doesn't have a whole lot of time left. Hes declining every year that passes. And if Murray isn't there to challenge Nole for the slams, its a walkover for Nole

Initially, I didn't think Novak could do it.. But people have to take into account there is really NO serious threats around right now outside of Murray. And possibly Fed on grass. Though one could argue that would be with a closed roof

I guess you missed most of the past 10 months...won 3 MS1000's, a 17th major, ascended from #3 to #1 and in so doing eclipsed the weeks at #1 record. Some decline, no?

Phoenix1983 01-27-2013 02:31 PM

Unlikely Novak will ever catch Sampras.