Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Murrays final slam count (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452763)

NadalAgassi 01-27-2013 10:50 AM

Murrays final slam count

I thought it was an interesting time to make a prediction what one thinks Murrays final slam count will be. I am going to be predict that he wins 5. I think he will win 1 Australian Open, 1 or 2 Wimbledons, and 1 or 2 more U.S Opens, so another 4 slams, and 5 total.

Ginger ninja 01-27-2013 10:55 AM

2 wimbledons
2 us opens
1 French open (controversial I know, but with lendl's input and Rafael likely not going to be what he was)
0 australian

5 total

NadalAgassi 01-27-2013 11:00 AM

One thing in Murrays favor is he has the kind of game I could see him really lasting, alot like Federer. I think he could be a contender to win slams as late as 2017 and 2018, and while there should be some new players emerge who are slam winning caliber by then (please for the sake of tennis), he likely wont have to worry as much about grinders Djokovic and Nadal who will almost surely be fading by that point, Nadal probably retired in fact.

Mainad 01-27-2013 11:03 AM

Interestingly, when he was asked this same question on US televison after he won the US Open, he shrugged his shoulders and replied, "Two, maybe three".

So I'm going with his own assessment and say 'three'. Anything more will be a bonus! :)

Sabratha 01-27-2013 11:10 AM

I say he wins 4 or 5 slams, maybe even 6 if he is lucky. murray is as talented, maybe even more talented than djokovic and they are basically equals. murray is forever improving and djokovic has already hit his peak and will surely see decline within the next 2 to 3 years. murray i don't see declining for a while and could still be a force (and top 4) when he is 30 years old, that means many more chances at slams and i am sure he will win a few in time to come.

kanamit 01-27-2013 11:24 AM

He doesn't exactly have a great record of sealing the deal in finals. My guess is he'll win one or two more, probably one more.

always_crosscourt 01-27-2013 11:37 AM

Why aren't people voting he'll end up with one?

Remember how unusual the circumstances were for him to win his 1st slam - howling wind, Djokovic completely spent after finishing an absolutely brutal, epic, physical 4-setter with Ferrer spanning 2 days.

Whilst he is a talented player, the stars will most probably never align like again like they did that night.

Gonzo_style 01-27-2013 11:46 AM

I voted for sex

Amelie Mauresmo 01-27-2013 11:47 AM

Murray will probably win 3 to 5 slams tops I don't see him getting to Novak's level of six slams.

The-Champ 01-27-2013 12:06 PM

I say at least 5, with at least 3 USOs.

It wouldn't surprise me if he wins RG as well.

ark_28 01-27-2013 12:17 PM

Murrays serve dropped off today and this is a worry for him he needs to maintain a high first serve % to win more slams he served great in the semis!

Isner has a phenomenal serve it has won him so many cheap points and seen him achieve wins over worlds top 2 players last year he has also shown he can maintain this level of serving as he managed to hit a world record 113 aces in one match at Wimbledon!

Murray would do well to try and emulate that kind of consistency on serve if he is to have any chance of winning any more majors!

JRAJ1988 01-27-2013 12:23 PM

he'll end up with 4 slams

NamRanger 01-27-2013 12:25 PM

3-4 slams just because Federer and Nadal careers will likely end in a few more years. He'll get stopped by Djokovic for the most part, although Djokovic can lose early.

Relinquis 01-27-2013 12:26 PM

we have been spoiled by Federer and to some extent Nadal and Novak. a slam is an amazing achievement.

Getting a slam is tough, Nadal will most likely come back on tour this year and Federer still has a few years in him and Novak is the same age. We're not even considering threats from any new guys.

Assuming these four have an equal chance* of winning slams and the rest of the ATP have none, that's an expected slam a year for murray, which means 5 more by the time he is 30 with a physical game that depends on running balls down a meter or two behind the baseline.

I think he should be proud of what he has already achieved, although i expect him to be able to get 2-3 slams by his 30th as i think he will develop some more with Lendl. I wouldn't discount him as a threat in any slam though.

* Wild and unscientific assumption, i know.

kishnabe 01-27-2013 12:33 PM

2-3......today would have been a good day to win one.

1 AO, 1SW19, 1 US.

underground 01-27-2013 12:37 PM

I will give him one Wimbledon and another fluke slam like the USO where either the conditions, draw or scheduling screws everyone else up.

tacou 01-27-2013 12:41 PM

1 AO 1 W 1 more US for 4. I think he will be relevant at four more AO and 5 more of the rest, so 3 of the next 19.

If he does not manage this, that implies a couple possibilities:
Novak and/or Nadal coming close to Pete Sampras.
Nadal coming close to Federer.
Federer coming close to 20 career slams.
Or, least likely, a new guy becomes a consistent slam winner/finalist in the next couple years.

Any of these scenarios would be interesting.

mariecon 01-27-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underground (Post 7172449)
I will give him one Wimbledon and another fluke slam like the USO where either the conditions, draw or scheduling screws everyone else up.

you're more generous than I was.:lol:

tudwell 01-27-2013 12:45 PM

I'll guess four. Going something like 4-8 in slam finals.

Antonio Puente 01-27-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underground (Post 7172449)

It's hard to call a guy who routinely makes slam finals a fluke. Regardless of how many slams he finishes with, Murray's world class.