Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Volkl Cyclone: Convince me there's something better (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452772)

Lilguy1456 01-27-2013 11:40 AM

Volkl Cyclone: Convince me there's something better

Spin, durability, comfort...this string has it all. Is there a superior string that I'm missing? Yes yes, I know, it's all about personal preference...just wanna hear some thoughts from people who have tried all the best polys.

Cfidave 01-28-2013 03:21 AM

I would nominate the following:

Dunlop Black Widow
Bigger Hitter Blue Rough
Big Hitter Black Seven
Kirshbaum Proline II
MSV Focus HEX

Just to name a few.

SteveI 01-28-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilguy1456 (Post 7172305)
Spin, durability, comfort...this string has it all. Is there a superior string that I'm missing? Yes yes, I know, it's all about personal preference...just wanna hear some thoughts from people who have tried all the best polys.

It is an outstanding Price/Performer. There are better strings out there..but not as well priced.

Doubles 01-28-2013 08:35 AM

If you like it that much, don't have someone convince you otherwise. Stick with it and focus on improving your game. In the end, that will help you significantly.

Sander001 01-28-2013 01:38 PM

Been trying out Cyclone 18[amongst dozens of other polys] and it's just a fantastic all around performer. Spin is excellent, power is superb[for a poly] and control is guaranteed. The string may be underrated due to its average feel[which reminds me now of how WeisCannon TurboTwister 1.18 plays. TT has more power and comfort but less spin. I prefer the Cyclone].

Anyway, the feel is not uncomfortable but it does seem like it's shrunk my sweetspot. But this may be due to my stringing at 60lbs straight when really I'm supposed to drop the tension on the crosses. Next time I'll string 61/55lbs.

90sq" frame, 12.5oz.

Federerkblade 01-28-2013 01:46 PM

i tried it at 52 and boy did it fly... however that may have been way to low for cyclone 18

Bhagi Katbamna 01-28-2013 04:29 PM

Genesis Black magic is better for me on same racket at same tension.

Backhanded Compliment 01-28-2013 05:01 PM

Well it is a great string... best Ive ever used for returns and for finding angles on serve.

That said other strings have more feel and its non-linear response bothers me on my backhand which produces a ton of headspeed (Guga - Wawrinka style topspin shots). If it were more linear I would still use it.

The fact that it has a great price is even more excellent.

If you dont come to the net much and dont have a pretty exotic 1hbh then I think this is nearly always a solid choice. It isnt even that bad on the arm.

pvaudio 01-28-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubles (Post 7174550)
If you like it that much, don't have someone convince you otherwise. Stick with it and focus on improving your game. In the end, that will help you significantly.

I don't know if I've agreed with a post more. This is the only important thing.

ChicagoJack 01-28-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilguy1456 (Post 7172305)

If you are committed to full beds of poly, and place a high priority on comfort and spin, I don't think you can do better than Dunlop Black Widow 18. A bit more arm friendly than BHBR, BHB7, and lots more comfy than Tour Bite. However these edged polys do better at baseline than at the net.

Gut Mains Poly Xs will give you all the spin of a full poly job, (if not more) is far more comfortable, will add a bit more power, and is much more suited to an all court/doubles play. It's exactly the reason the Gut/Poly combo has become the standard for the doubles guys on the ATP Men's Tour, with 7 out of the top 8 points leaders rocking that combo. However, it's more pricey, gut isn't terribly durable, especially if you play singles on clay.

But that's why there is no "best" string, and there never will be. It's just a matter of trade-offs, just a matter of priorities, for as far as the eye can see, from now until the end of time. Welcome to Hell/Heaven on earth for obsessive compulsive gear heads.

Jack

three.dee 01-29-2013 10:53 AM

Hi Lilguy1356.

I see that you own a Wilson BLX Pro Staff 6.1 90, do you use the Volkl Cyclone 18 on this racket as well?
I'm asking you because I own the same racket and I just bought the same string :-) -- just for testing.
What is the tension that you strung it at?

Thank you!

three.dee 01-29-2013 10:55 AM

Is it 52 lbs, as the signature states?

*sorry for the double post, I can't find the edit option for my previous post...

Hominator 01-29-2013 04:01 PM

+1 for Dunlop Black Widow. Just strung one of my F 3.0 Tours with a full bed of Black Widow 17 at 56 lbs., and it was supremely comfortable with plenty of pop and spin. Really pleasantly surprised.

Timbo's hopeless slice 01-29-2013 04:09 PM

I like Cyclone, it works for me.

I agree it can be a little lacking in feel, though.

I broke a string last night and pulled out the last stick I have that is still strung with Tour Bite.

Performance was much the same, but I have to say the feel with the TB was nicer.

mind you, it has been in that bag without being used for months so it might have lost some tension, I dunno..

Federerkblade 01-30-2013 12:41 AM

what do you guys string cyclone 1.30 at. does it play well at 44lbs

Hi I'm Ray 01-30-2013 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Federerkblade (Post 7179300)
what do you guys string cyclone 1.30 at. does it play well at 44lbs

Currently have Cyclone 1.30 at 49lbs in the mains, 17g syn gut crosses at 53lbs, APDGT. I'd imagine droping both down by 3lbs would play just fine, but if I had to drop the syn gut much below 50lbs I'd go with a full bed of poly. Full poly has played well for me in the 50's, 40's, and 30's, but when I tried a poly/syn gut hybrid around 45-46lbs it felt and played like crap.

Rabbit 01-30-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7176009)
I don't know if I've agreed with a post more. This is the only important thing.

No, I agree more than you! ;)

NLBwell 01-30-2013 09:05 AM

I like ALU Rough. That's no reason for you to like it, though.

TennezSport 01-30-2013 09:21 AM

Volkl Cyclone Tour.........

If you like Cyclone try Cyclone Tour, same as Volkl Cyclone but softer with a twist in the structure.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Sander001 02-02-2013 04:39 PM

The Tour version is softer? Don't know if I'll try it, this standard version is already very soft for a poly.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sander001 (Post 7175472)
Been trying out Cyclone 18[amongst dozens of other polys] and it's just a fantastic all around performer. Spin is excellent, power is superb[for a poly] and control is guaranteed. The string may be underrated due to its average feel[which reminds me now of how WeisCannon TurboTwister 1.18 plays. TT has more power and comfort but less spin. I prefer the Cyclone].

Anyway, the feel is not uncomfortable but it does seem like it's shrunk my sweetspot. But this may be due to my stringing at 60lbs straight when really I'm supposed to drop the tension on the crosses. Next time I'll string 61/55lbs.

90sq" frame, 12.5oz.

Quoting myself because I used it again and I guess the tension dropped a little and it feels even better now.
Yeah I definitely made a mistake in stringing it before.
$120 for a reel is a bargain[compared to other strings].