Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Andy Murray was too aggressive. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452789)

ctoth666 01-27-2013 01:42 PM

Andy Murray was too aggressive.

I'm actually not trolling. The points were too short. He should have been more passive in the final and worn down Djokovic in five sets. This would have probably been his best chance at winning.

The Bawss 01-27-2013 01:46 PM

When you hit shots that you can't pull off that's called not being good enough.

JRAJ1988 01-27-2013 02:06 PM

Murray pulled off the aggressive play vs Federer in the semis so he could have broken through but Novak had that other gear Murray doesn't have.

The Meat 01-27-2013 04:59 PM

Murray was playing aggressive for the first two sets, took Djokovic in two back to back tie breaks. Stepped off the pedal in the third set, and then he dropped back to his usual pushing tactics.

Needs more time developing his big offensive game.

veroniquem 01-27-2013 06:51 PM

That's a really weird statement. Djoko was the more aggressive player of the 2 overall and he had more winners. There's actually a number of points even early in the match when I felt Murray didn't take his chances. Novak was too passive too at the end of the 1st and start of the 2nd.

Beryl 01-27-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7172999)
Murray was playing aggressive for the first two sets, took Djokovic in two back to back tie breaks. Stepped off the pedal in the third set, and then he dropped back to his usual pushing tactics.

I wouldn't say he was aggressive in the first two sets. Novak was all over the place in those sets, so when he wasn't attacking and making errors, he was dropping balls short. Those short balls were invitations to Murray to come forward and attack and Andy did so fairly well. Once Novak found his range and limited the number of short balls during rallies, Andy didn't have many chances to go on the offensive and he resorted to playing defensively.

underground 01-28-2013 10:36 AM

LOL you think Murray physically has a chance to last longer than Novak after what we've seen from him in 2012 and this year against Stan?

fps 01-28-2013 10:39 AM

Murray hurt his foot and couldn't play his game any more. I know tennis players deal with damaged feet all the time, but it was a bad one. My g/f didn't know he'd had the MTO and when she came in to watch she asked why Murray wasn't moving so well.

Russeljones 01-28-2013 10:57 AM

I think Lendl and Murray know full well he can't take Djokovic on in a war of attrition.

veroniquem 01-28-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underground (Post 7174965)
LOL you think Murray physically has a chance to last longer than Novak after what we've seen from him in 2012 and this year against Stan?

The only time he did it (in a best of 5) was at USO 2012 but to me, this has an asterisk to it because Djoko had had to play 3 days in a row. So I'm waiting for another match in more normal conditions for Murray to prove that he can outlast Novak in a 5 setter.

Cosmic_Colin 01-28-2013 11:16 AM

There was a moment in the second or third set when Murray hit a powerful shot right in the corner. Djokovic did his usual rubber man routine and managed to lob it into play.

Murray, presented with a sitter right near the net decided to send a gentle shot back into Djokovic's striking zone. He lost the rally.

That was the low point of the match for me, and I really began to lose interest.

onyxrose81 01-28-2013 01:01 PM

Djokovic was by far the aggressor in this match; he was just too all over the place and that made Andy look more aggressive than he actually was.

augustobt 01-28-2013 01:36 PM

Nah. Nobody was in that match.

wintintu 01-28-2013 02:13 PM

Nah I don't agree with this thread! I believe Djokovic would have won regardless and the gap between the two is actually wider than I would have wanted to believe. My biggest, most incredibly annoying frustration with Murray is the amount of times he hit unbelievable shots to the very corners of the court and WILL NOT FOLLOW IT IN. FOLLOW THE BALL IN!

I completely understand that Djokovic has the most amazing passing shot in the game but I am talking about the shots where Djokovic is at his absolute limit to put a racket on them and get a weak slice back into play. Those are the shots when Murray needs to be at the net and gratefully accept the easy putaway volley. I think he is failing himself masively here and is something he needs to make a conscious effort to improve. Be a bit bolder. Take the easy volley, don't engage in another drawn out needless baseline rally instead when you have already earned the point. Novak will wear you down from the baseline.

jaggy 01-28-2013 03:51 PM

Failing to break early in the 2nd killed him

Cindysphinx 01-28-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wintintu (Post 7175572)
Nah I don't agree with this thread! I believe Djokovic would have won regardless and the gap between the two is actually wider than I would have wanted to believe. My biggest, most incredibly annoying frustration with Murray is the amount of times he hit unbelievable shots to the very corners of the court and WILL NOT FOLLOW IT IN. FOLLOW THE BALL IN!

I completely understand that Djokovic has the most amazing passing shot in the game but I am talking about the shots where Djokovic is at his absolute limit to put a racket on them and get a weak slice back into play. Those are the shots when Murray needs to be at the net and gratefully accept the easy putaway volley. I think he is failing himself masively here and is something he needs to make a conscious effort to improve. Be a bit bolder. Take the easy volley, don't engage in another drawn out needless baseline rally instead when you have already earned the point. Novak will wear you down from the baseline.

+1. The proof?

There were a number of times when Murray had to restart a point. If you hit an amazing shot and your opponent throws up a hail Mary and you waiting at the baseline to bounce that ball and play a routine groundstroke, you probably just missed a chance to come in.

underground 01-29-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veroniquem (Post 7175073)
The only time he did it (in a best of 5) was at USO 2012 but to me, this has an asterisk to it because Djoko had had to play 3 days in a row. So I'm waiting for another match in more normal conditions for Murray to prove that he can outlast Novak in a 5 setter.

Plus the fact that the wind actually help Murray, the 1st set quality was greatly hindered because of it. The Shanghai final is also evidence, Murray had cramps IIRC at the end of the 3rd.

wintintu 01-29-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7176499)
+1. The proof?

There were a number of times when Murray had to restart a point. If you hit an amazing shot and your opponent throws up a hail Mary and you waiting at the baseline to bounce that ball and play a routine groundstroke, you probably just missed a chance to come in.

Exactly! Wawrinka came into the net 56 times against Djokovic. Murray came in 15! Who gave Nole more problems!?

nevisben 01-29-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wintintu (Post 7175572)

+2

I was hoping having Lendl in the side Andy would get he tactics right. This match could have been closer. He'll have to settle for being the best of the rest (until the next time).