Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Slightly jaded, slightly conspiratorial take on men's AO'13 final (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452796)

dje31 01-27-2013 04:11 PM

Slightly jaded, slightly conspiratorial take on men's AO'13 final

So, a sponsor's dream final: #1 Djokovic against #3 Murray, the former "using" (or at least endorsing the PJ of) the brand new Graphene Speed Pro, against the latter's "IG Radical Pro."

Even on TW's home page, it has a graphic of Head-to-Head (I get it), showing both, along with their endorsed frames.

Considering:

1. These guys are top 3 players;

2. Both endorsing the same brand;

3. #1 is pushing a new stick.

Who thinks (besides me) that, behind the scenes, agents / brand reps / coaches / whomever are "suggesting" that #1 with his brand new stick take the title? Don't worry, next year, when they re-do the Radical / Prestige lines with Graphene, then it'll be Murray's turn, should the situation arise.

Also consider:

1. Still flagging global economy;

2. Lots of commitments by mail order, internet, and B&M retailers to bring in brand new product with brand new tech;

3. Gotta churn product.

They'd almost have to, especially after Shriekapova going out 2 & 2 in the semis with her "brand new Instinct."

I mean, we, who obsess about such things and frequent boards such as these, know that in most exos, if it's 2 out of 3, they split the first two, and play for real in the third, to make it interesting for the crowd. They know how to make it look good, without making it look obvious that they're tanking. Especially with two pushers.

It's been the norm in boxing forever...why would it be weird if Murray were "coaxed" or "persuaded" into "taking a dive," esp. if he were promised recompense in the future?

I'm not naive, nor am I faulting anyone involved in this potential charade. Business is business, and marketing is marketing, be it tennis, widgets, guns, or butter. Lots of $, jobs, and reputation on the line, all throughout the food chain.

I just can't help but look at so much of it with a jaundiced view. Would that I could take it in with the wonder of unspoiled youth and enthusiasm.

Plus they're all on the juice anyway...

Antonio Puente 01-27-2013 06:57 PM

Sounds legit.

They need to create a hall of fame section where posts such as this would be directly sent.

THE FIGHTER 01-27-2013 07:02 PM

good stuff, but it's all in vain.

this final and other assumptions stemming from it are irrelevant. all finals and resulting data without the Raf are indeed irrelevant.

especially when nads returns heralding a new era of transcendent, WADA free tennis.

mariecon 01-27-2013 07:40 PM

I love conspiracy theories so a big thumbs up from the newbie!:)

ellipticality_224 01-27-2013 08:30 PM

I'm not sure about this, But I know alot of 9/11 truthers and even some Sandy Hook truthers (can you believe those people?) and they can be pretty comedic to listen to with their supposed facts about how it was all staged. It's pretty amusing to hear what some people can limp to the barn with. But this... this is a marketing scheme. They want you to buy the latest and "greatest" (though greatest is used loosely). I like it, youve got something going here! We shall see in 2014. As for now, I like my original Youteks :)

Bjorn99 01-27-2013 08:54 PM

If people knew the extent of how fixed everything in their daily lives were, they probably wouldn't even leave the house in the morning.

does this particular conspiracy have any legs? Hmmm, cannot say. All I know is that Murray didn't stand a chance cause of the considerable amount of time he spent on court versus Djokovic, so it would have seemed a lot more conspiratorial IF Murray had won, not Djokovic.

But juiced? Everyone who can afford organic compound pharmacy steroids is juiced. But apart from the top four, who can? The **** is uber expensive. I know I spend 25% of my income on them. They are a must have.

And 9'11 and Sandy Hook. If you believe the official stories, there isn't much hope for you, except around xmas or with the tooth fairy.

ellipticality_224 01-27-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjorn99 (Post 7173516)
If people knew the extent of how fixed everything in their daily lives were, they probably wouldn't even leave the house in the morning.

does this particular conspiracy have any legs? Hmmm, cannot say. All I know is that Murray didn't stand a chance cause of the considerable amount of time he spent on court versus Djokovic, so it would have seemed a lot more conspiratorial IF Murray had won, not Djokovic.

But juiced? Everyone who can afford organic compound pharmacy steroids is juiced. But apart from the top four, who can? The **** is uber expensive. I know I spend 25% of my income on them. They are a must have.

Ever heard of the universal hologram theory??? lol

Colin 01-27-2013 09:18 PM

I agree, though I also think the aliens are partly to blame, by using their mothership's advanced meteorological weaponry to adjust the wind level and temperatures to suit Novak's game. I have no doubt, with the help of their Scientology unit on Earth, these extraterrestrials — who were also responsible for the JFK assassination, 9/11 and the failed Justin Bieber castration-murder plot, by the way — also brought Djokovic onboard their floating city to spend a day in their blood-cleansing chamber and to luxuriate in the gluten-free buffet.

But that, my friend, is only the tip of a vast multinational corporate conspiracy. Last month, the heads of the Five Fed Families — Rolex, Lindt, Gillette, Mercedes and Nike — met in Geneva (Credit Suisse and Moet were allowed only to teleconference). They decided to chip in another $50 million for Federer to do three things to ensure a Djokovic win: 1. Spur his compatriot Stan Wawrinka to fall in any potential fifth set with Novak. 2. To take Murray to the limit in the semifinal and tire him. 3. To make sure he himself isn't in the final, where his desire to win the title could trump his bonus package.

And that's only the recent planning. Ten months ago, Serbian special forces were dispatched to a fishing village in Spain to inject Rafa with a nerve agent to weaken his knees and make sure he wouldn't be able to seek revenge in a six-hour final.

Granted, it's a lot of work to guarantee one man's victory, but quite worth it, I think.

SwankPeRFection 01-27-2013 09:21 PM

When each of the 4 title holders hold the same major titles at the end of this year again, you'll know it was set up. ;)

Sentinel 01-28-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 7173548)
I agree, though I also think the aliens are partly to blame, by using their mothership's advanced meteorological weaponry to adjust the wind level and temperatures to suit Novak's game. I have no doubt, with the help of their Scientology unit on Earth, these extraterrestrials — who were also responsible for the JFK assassination, 9/11 and the failed Justin Bieber castration-murder plot, by the way — also brought Djokovic onboard their floating city to spend a day in their blood-cleansing chamber and to luxuriate in the gluten-free buffet.

But that, my friend, is only the tip of a vast multinational corporate conspiracy. Last month, the heads of the Five Fed Families — Rolex, Lindt, Gillette, Mercedes and Nike — met in Geneva (Credit Suisse and Moet were allowed only to teleconference). They decided to chip in another $50 million for Federer to do three things to ensure a Djokovic win: 1. Spur his compatriot Stan Wawrinka to fall in any potential fifth set with Novak. 2. To take Murray to the limit in the semifinal and tire him. 3. To make sure he himself isn't in the final, where his desire to win the title could trump his bonus package.

And that's only the recent planning. Ten months ago, Serbian special forces were dispatched to a fishing village in Spain to inject Rafa with a nerve agent to weaken his knees and make sure he wouldn't be able to seek revenge in a six-hour final.

Granted, it's a lot of work to guarantee one man's victory, but quite worth it, I think.

If only I could five-star your post, my good Sir !

Avles 01-28-2013 12:27 PM

I think instead of "slightly jaded" you mean "extremely crazy."

Use a tiny little bit of common sense here please... what "recompense" could a racquet manufacturer have to offer one of hte top 3 that would outweigh the ranking points and money gained by winning the title? What possible leverage could Head have here?

And think for a second about the devastatingly bad publicity for player, racquet company and tennis as a whole if something like this ever came out. So they'd really risk that just to put in a plug for a new racquet, for the small minority of people who actually know what racquets Murray and Djokovic are (ostensibly) using?

Journeymen players fixing matches for betting interests might be plausible. Top 5 players fixing a GS final to do Head a small favor? Insane.